IGNORED

Help needed

Galactus

I have this and I haven't been able to get it to display anything.  It's totally mint, but the video modulator is missing a clip...

20190702_193144.thumb.jpg.f44f3d64522fb8b2876b92125030c129.jpg

I tried another cable to replace the modulator with no luck.  I really want to get it functional.  I'm trying to use it on a TV.

• Thanks 1

I have this and I haven't been able to get it to display anything.  It's totally mint, but the video modulator is missing a clip...

20190702_193144.thumb.jpg.f44f3d64522fb8b2876b92125030c129.jpg

I tried another cable to replace the modulator with no luck.  I really want to get it functional.  I'm trying to use it on a TV.

Best thing to do is forget RF and go straight to composite. The same connector has composite and audio and you can make a cable easily using the wire from that rf modulator and RCA connectors or buy one here https://arcadeshopper.com/wp#!/NTSC-composite-video-cable/p/74389896

Also the atari 800 uses the same cable if you already have one of those..

Info on making a cable is in the pinned FAQ

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Second on the video cable, but at the same time, if you actually have a TV that can take those leads (or a 300 ohm adapter like the below), then just strip the broken wire back and loop the bare wire around the terminal. It'll work just fine - I ran that way for many years. ;)

4129518m2BL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg.013cc2bb0c2ea02bd16012b5954407f7.jpg

• Like 8

9 hours ago, SSG said:

Yes, that should also work... but you're going to need to convert the output of the RF modulator to RCA to use it.

The output from the console ITSELF is composite. The RF Modulator that you have there converts to RF.

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 1

Thanks all for your responses/feedback.   Greatly appreciated.   After pulling it out again I can't get it to power up.  It really blows because it's CIB,  apparently with all original accessories and documents with a set of controllers CIB,  too and about 10 CIB games.  I was really hoping to play with it this weekend. There's even addendums to the manual and a warranty card effective August 1,  1983.  After reading through some of the topics on here I definitely want to find one that works.  Thanks again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tursi said:

Yes, that should also work... but you're going to need to convert the output of the RF modulator to RCA to use it.

The output from the console ITSELF is composite. The RF Modulator that you have there converts to RF.

If the output itself is composite, could he do what I do with my Apple 2+ and XEGS and just run the output cable to a Splitter straight into the composite input?

1 minute ago, arcadeshopper said:

Isn't that what I suggested above?

Yeah.. but in the event he already had a spliter on hand and it didnt cross his mind, might get him up and running faster.

On 7/3/2019 at 11:23 AM, arcadeshopper said:

The output of the rf modulator is rf
The output of the console is composite

Don't plug in the rf modulator if you want composite. Use a cable.

What I mean is, isnt't there a RCA cable that goes from the back of the computer to the RF modulator?

17 hours ago, SSG said:

What I mean is, isnt't there a RCA cable that goes from the back of the computer to the RF modulator?

TI is weird. The modulator's actually in the switchbox, not inside the console. The cable carries composite video, mono audio, and DC power to the switchbox.

There's no RF video output from the console, because that would make sense(or possibly because they were playing games with the FCC).

The original 99/4 prototypes had an internal video modulator. The FCC didn't like the signal leakage (it failed their tests), so TI switched to a monitor and sold it with the console. They got an external modulator to pass the tests in 1980 and sold them from about the middle of that year as a separate accessory. Later, they included the modulators and sold the monitor separately, as that significantly reduced the price-of-entry for customers.

On the RCA cable question--the TI cable is a 5-pin DIN (for NTSC models) at the TI end that breaks out into the necessary Audio/Video RCA connectors for the TV/monitor. Sound is only one channel.