IGNORED

Just Got Towers II from Songbird...

sixersfan105

And I'm excited to play it on my newly-acquired Jaguar! That said, do you guys agree that the color tones of the box are a little darker than they should be? Due to the overall darker than expected tint, I actually mistook what I believe is supposed to be a tower window in the top middle of the front of the box for a "scuff" or printing mishap. First picture below is my box, with the area in question circled in red. Second picture below is the original Telegames release box - notice you can make out the entire window and not just the right side of it? This isn't just me, right? 

I wouldn't say I'm mad, just a little disappointed, given that I forked over $120 + shipping for this title. At least the cartridge label has a better design than the original, I suppose. I also support Songbird Productions and appreciate all that they have done and continue to do for the Jaguar, Lynx and other retro game console communities, but I do feel a bit perturbed. Justified or not? I'll let you all be the judge and jury!

CBFBC81C-B10C-4525-9A16-214A69750394.jpeg

7CD1E2D8-E71D-4C9E-8F63-E5D823F182E6.jpeg

• Sad 1

Telegames production has been all over the place, even going back to their Lynx days. Your copy is the norm. I created a similar thread after receiving Breakout 2000 some years ago:

Oh wow, the URL linking in the new forum code is cool!

1 hour ago, orpheuswaking said:

Also bear in mind that Songbird is a reseller of that game. This would be how he received them from Telegames directly. 

Oh I was under the impression that Songbird had an agreement with Telegames where he printed them in-house. Not sure where I had seen that stated or perhaps I just assumed, as I thought Telegames was out of the production biz at this point to focus on modern consoles. Could have sworn I read that somewhere...

In any event, thank you all for the feedback!

4 hours ago, madman said:

Telegames production has been all over the place, even going back to their Lynx days. Your copy is the norm. I created a similar thread after receiving Breakout 2000 some years ago:

Oh wow, the URL linking in the new forum code is cool!

Interesting, so their quality has gone downhill it would seem. That's a shame, and it would appear that I, too, got box art that was a scan and not original artwork anywhere close to the quality of an official release. That's a shame, and certainly not worth $120 in my opinion. I'd be better off having someone here on the forums make me a box, cart and manual. Sheesh.

If I were to make a Telegames UK purchase directly on some official releases, any idea if those will also be shoddy construction or are those new old stock (NOS)?

56 minutes ago, orpheuswaking said:

It depends on the game, Telegames is basically printing these on demand now. 

Interesting. I presume they wouldn't be printing non-Telegames games on demand, as you would think those would be considered repros, but I suppose I could ask in a follow-up email before making a purchase. Thanks.

Of course they're not printing non-Telegames games on demand. They're Telegames. They make their games. And AFAIK it's basically one dude now. The packaging is what it is, you should see some of their earlier Lynx packaging. You want the older box, go to EBay and likely pay way more just so you can have a nicer box. That should vastly improve the gameplay.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sorry you're not happy with the print quality! I agree there has been some variation over the years for the color, contrast, and card stock. However that is an official box printed by Telegames UK, as I get my stock directly from them. I think that particular print variation has been in use for roughly 10 years.

Remember these games are not always available, and sometimes it is years between new runs. For example I am out of stock on some Telegames titles right now, and have been told not to expect any new stock in the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Songbird said:

Sorry you're not happy with the print quality! I agree there has been some variation over the years for the color, contrast, and card stock. However that is an official box printed by Telegames UK, as I get my stock directly from them. I think that particular print variation has been in use for roughly 10 years.

Remember these games are not always available, and sometimes it is years between new runs. For example I am out of stock on some Telegames titles right now, and have been told not to expect any new stock in the foreseeable future.

Thanks for the note. Thanks for clarifying that you get your stock from Telegames UK, as it was a little unclear to me. Not your fault that the quality is subpar these days but feel free to pass along my feedback. I guess I've been spoiled by AtariAge releases and Marc Oberhauser's boxes, plus you would expect official releases to have a certain degree of professionalism and worksmanship (including rounded labels to fit the cartridge). I'm still happy to have the game but it's a shame to see Telegames going downhill with their production quality. Thanks for all you do, @Songbird!

I am from the UK and have bought loads of games from Telegames in recent years, it really was the cheapest place to source brand new original sealed Jaguar games here in the UK even if the stock seems to be running low now and the prices getting higher for what's left. I too would agree though that the quality of their own games, box wise, is pretty sub-par. I can remember the first one I got, the print on the box looked like it had been scuffed with sand paper even though the box cover was smooth. I ended up getting another box for it, but that was identical too... My Skyhammer and Breakout 2000 boxes were no better either, but for those original early Jaguar games Telegames was impossible to beat - it's just a shame that the quality of their own releases let them down. However I do think Telegames is just one man now a days, and for me, that man, Peter, has been a great help for me in buying all those original sealed Jaguar games from a reliable source that was always cheaper than ebay for brand new sealed games... It was just a pity that the Telegames boxes weren't really of the quality you expect when paying £70 to £80 for a game. 

• Like 1

I am pretty sure the Skyhammer one looked really out of focus on front cover too, but either way I stopped buying the actual Telegames releases due to the quality of the boxes - Iron Soldier 2 was my final buy and the box was pretty poor as well. I did just assume that the telegames and songbird boxes (for UK releases/restocks in UK) were being printed from the same place in the U.K so I just didn't buy anymore. I have looked at buying from USA as I don't have Total Carnage and a few others, but the customs fee always stops me... I do think if you are buying $80 plus for a game then a nice box is the least that can be expected... The box Gaztee does for the ST games are amazing - maybe I have been spoiled with the standard of those items.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 12:24 PM, JaggingUK said:

I am pretty sure the Skyhammer one looked really out of focus on front cover too, but either way I stopped buying the actual Telegames releases due to the quality of the boxes - Iron Soldier 2 was my final buy and the box was pretty poor as well. I did just assume that the telegames and songbird boxes (for UK releases/restocks in UK) were being printed from the same place in the U.K so I just didn't buy anymore. I have looked at buying from USA as I don't have Total Carnage and a few others, but the customs fee always stops me... I do think if you are buying $80 plus for a game then a nice box is the least that can be expected... The box Gaztee does for the ST games are amazing - maybe I have been spoiled with the standard of those items.

The Skyhammer artwork looks like it looks because it is a screen from the game and pixelated. I`ve never seen that particular image while playing the game but I remember a discussion about it.