IGNORED

Splitting a quote

ledzep

Question

With the old system (and I admit I may have been doing this wrong/the hard way) whenever I wanted to responded to a person's quoted content paragraph by paragraph I would switch to BBCode (or whatever that was called) in order to add carriage returns (new lines) and mark a portion of the quote ended, add a few blank lines, then copy/paste the code for the top of the quote ("on June 15th so-and-so wrote...") in order to split the paragraph in two so that I could respond to that first specific part (and maybe later parts, too).  I can't figure out on the toolbar how to do that now, right clicking at the point where I want to split the quoted content does nothing.  I tried Googling CKEditor but I guess I didn't word the question right because I couldn't find an answer that way, either.

So, what is the modern way to change

[a bunch of quoted text in the blue-outlined box]

to

[a bunch of quoted text]

my comment

[in the blue outlined box]

my other comment

so that my response can more directly reference specific statements in the quoted text?

Edited by ledzep

3 answers to this question

It's not very intuitive at first, but the new forum has the ability to quote only selected text, so you can highlight, quote, type, highlight again, quote again, type some more, etc.  When you select text, a new button labeled "Quote selection" will appear.  Use that to quote only the highlighted part.

5 hours ago, ledzep said:

With the old system (and I admit I may have been doing this wrong/the hard way) whenever I wanted to responded to a person's quoted content paragraph by paragraph I would switch to BBCode (or whatever that was called) in order to add carriage returns (new lines) and mark a portion of the quote ended, add a few blank lines, then copy/paste the code for the top of the quote ("on June 15th so-and-so wrote...") in order to split the paragraph in two so that I could respond to that first specific part (and maybe later parts, too).

Yep, I did the same thing.

5 hours ago, ledzep said:

I can't figure out on the toolbar how to do that now, right clicking at the point where I want to split the quoted content does nothing.

Try it the way I described.

You can split a quote at the end of a paragraph by hitting Enter twice.  This only seems to work at the end of a paragraph, though, for some reason.  But that's usually what I want to do, so that works well in those cases.  Often I just want to quote a snippet of text, so as FujiSkunk noted above, you can select text with your mouse or (on a mobile device/tablet) finger. Once you do so, a small "Quote Selection" button will appear.  Click it and a new quote box will appear in your reply. 

If you select a quote by clicking on the border, a "+" icon appears above the lower-left corner.  You can use this with a mouse to drag the quote selection around.  This, unfortunately, does not seem to work on a phone.

..Al

On 7/3/2019 at 7:52 AM, FujiSkunk said:

It's not very intuitive at first, but the new forum has the ability to quote only selected text, so you can highlight, quote, type, highlight again, quote again, type some more, etc.  When you select text, a new button labeled "Quote selection" will appear.  Use that to quote only the highlighted part.

Yep, I did the same thing.

Try it the way I described.

Ok, that seems to be the ticket.  Thanks!

• Like 1