IGNORED

Mini DIN VGA & external controller mod

MCF 76

Hey guys,

I got a Lynx 2 on the way, already got a Mcwill kit, recap kit & several other things for one. Im really wanting to have the external controller mod done. Had a idea that possibly could use a mini 8 DIN panel mount connector then use a PC Engine avenue 3 pad ( it has 5 total buttons) it also uses a mini 8 DIN. Seems like this would be the least difficult way to preform this mod. I'm also  not a huge fan of the DB VGA port like alot, so the mini 8 DIN could be used on it also. I've seen several people start using this method instead of the DB it looks way better. But you would half to use a mini 8 DIN to VGA & audio cable. 

These:

Mini 8 DIN connectors:

https://console5.com/store/mini-din-8-panel-mount-black-plastic-housing-pin-type.html

Mini 8 DIN to VGA & audio:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DIN-8-pin-To-VGA-Video-Audio-Input-Output-Adapter-Cable/252871484300?hash=item3ae050a38c:g:opsAAOSwvKtY846x&redirect=mobile

Any you guys know who can do possibly do this mod? 

-Marty

Only issue with the Mini 8 DIN you listed is that I can tell it isn't quite thick enough to go through the Lynx housing plastic fully. Would have to shave material from inside the lynx to make the section where the mini DIN is installed thinner. Similar to what I have to do when I install the s-video panel mounts off the lower back of the bottom 7800 shell for those mods. 

I am not a fan of extra interfacing cables. They always get lost. What about leaving the VGA cable inside the battery compartment? Then you could fit both the VGA cable and the controller cable where the batteries used to be.

It should be possible to add something for an USB-C power bank as it can provide 9V and 12V outputs also. With a little sticky tape you might add an USB-C power bank behind the Lynx when needed.

• 3 weeks later...