IGNORED

Pro Golf --(16 K 2600 ASM) Completed

easmith

Latest REV

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/292922-pro-golf-16-k-2600-asm-completed/?do=findComment&comment=4335808

Been working on a golf game .  I finally have a "proof of concept."  Reading Instructions below important for those who want to mess around.

Only 1 hole for now ( PAR 4) , but I think 18 are easily doable.  Long way to go still. Haven't used 8K yet.

The top portion of screen is overhead view,  Bottom portion is First person perspective.

Still much work needs to be done on the ball flight ( still working on getting wind, hook , and slice effects right).

No sounds yet either. Also need to have shot affected by sand or trees lie ( currently hitting from trees does not affect shot).

Also for now , once you are on green you always make the first put.  So still have to work out the putting sequence.

Important to read these directions:

1.  The blue dot is your target.  Move the target with joystick.  The bottom left  number is the club for the distance:

- -   out of range

D  Driver

5   5 Iron

7   7 Iron

9  9 Iron

W Wedge

P  Putter

Press Fire to set target.  The shot will attempt to  hit the target , but is affected by wind ( bottom Right number) , and how your shot timing is executed.

Do not need to do this on green.

2.  To  swing, 

pull down on Joystick.  This will activate the shot strength meter .  You want to achieve maximum strength on the meter always ( this is to the target you have set ).

Push up on the joystick to begin downswing ( you want to do this when the strength meter is exactly at max ( or just below ) .

Push button to finish swing when the meter  is exactly at 0.  Too early ( slice) or too late ( hook ) .

Avoid Water Hazard ( 1 stroke penalty). Other holes can have multiple water or sand hazards.

Top row numbers are score and hole.

Bottom row are club and Wind ( distance to pin if on green) 

Edited by easmith
  • Like 13

10 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

This is an amazing start Edward! We'll be featuring it on next Wednesday's ZeroPage Homebrew stream!

Oh my , that is awesome but  I would prefer you wait a few weeks or at least until a more recent update if possible ?

. At least let me get the putting finished ....

• Like 2

Thanks for the encouragement y’all ! . I owe much  thanks to NukeyShay for help with the kernel for overhead view . 

I also am essentially using the kernel from my other game 1vs1 basketball for the first person portion , which he also pretty much  wrote also . 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, easmith said:

Oh my , that is awesome but  I would prefer you wait a few weeks or at least until a more recent update if possible ?

No problem, let me know when the next update is ready and we'll put it on the show! Can't wait!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, easmith said:

That show always does a good job of putting the fear of God into homebrew authors to get as much done as possible before it is shown live like that. :)

On 7/5/2019 at 1:38 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

No problem, let me know when the next update is ready and we'll put it on the show! Can't wait!

Ok , I now have 2 playable holes with putting. Also fixed some bugs.  Still some kinks to be worked out , but I would not embarrassed if this were on the show.

For the first person portion, it  now shows the green if you are close .  

I will probably have more holes added before Wednesday . The logic is basically the same for each hole.  I am currently using a symmetric playfield , so the graphics for each new hole only require 200 bytes per hole.  

Putting just works by executing the backswing and forward swing ( joy down /up).  Button not needed ( currently).

The bottom right number is the distance to pin . Roughly  1 strengthmeter unit = 1  foot , but you can get the feel for how hard to put . Put a little harder than you think you need to. 

For now  left/ right action not in play for puts ( it's hard enough to get the distance right).

Edited by easmith
  • Like 6

14 hours ago, easmith said:

Ok , I now have 2 playable holes with putting. Also fixed some bugs.  Still some kinks to be worked out , but I would not embarrassed if this were on the show.

For the first person portion, it  now shows the green if you are close .  

I will probably have more holes added before Wednesday .

Oh wow, great upgrade! Yes, this is definitely ready to demo on the show and I've added it in to the schedule for this coming Wednesday! I'll be keeping an eye out if/when you release a newer version of it before then. ? Excellent job!

- James

We'll be featuring the new WIP homebrew of Championship Golf LIVE on this Wednesday's ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.t...ropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Championship Golf (2019 WIP) by Edward Smith aka easmith
- EggVenture 2600 (2011 WIP) by Jurell Silks aka ScumSoft
- Bifröst (2019 Update) by David Weavil aka s0c7
- Diamond Drop (2015 WIP) by by Steve Engelhardt aka Atarius Maximus

293411233_20190710-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.ddea8d7e0a235a5399db36ab42d67b0b.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hizzy said:

I'm still trying to figure out the controls, but I really like this concept! I can't wait to see how the game develops further :)

I posted the instructions in the first post, but I will repost here:

You definitely have to practice !:)

Important to read these directions:

1.  The blue dot ( or yellow dot)  is your target.  Move the target with joystick.  The bottom left  number is the club for the distance. This is automatically selected :

- -   out of range

D  Driver

5   5 Iron

7   7 Iron

9  9 Iron

W Wedge   ( Wind does not affect Wedge Shots)

P  Putter

1. Press Fire to set target after target is in desired position.   The shot will attempt to  hit the target , but is affected by wind ( bottom Right number) , and how your shot timing is executed.

2.  To  swing, 

pull down on Joystick to start backswing.  This will activate the shot strength meter .  You want to achieve maximum strength on the meter always ( this is to the target you have set ).

When strength meter is near max, Push up on the joystick to begin downswing ( you want to do this when the strength meter is exactly at max ( or just below ) .  

Regardless of the distance of your shot , use max shot strength- since the max shot strength is equated with the TARGET YOU SET.

Push button to finish swing when the meter  is exactly at 0.  Too early ( slice) or too late ( hook ) .

So swing mechanic is ( down - up - button) .  But after setting target .

3. to Put ( Putt?) 

same mechanic as swing .   If the distance to pin is over 3 ft, then if you press the button late or early it can pull or push the putt to the left or right.

hint:  putt a little harder than you think you need to .  Think of max swing strength as about 10 ft ( if distance is > 10 ft use max putt strength).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok , I now have a 9 hole course for folks to play with  ( will eventually be 18 )  .  There are still a few bugs, but it is getting closer.

Again, you need to practice to get a feel for controls . (See previous post) 

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/292922-championship-golf-2600-wip/?do=findComment&comment=4306739

New additions for this version:

1. 9 holes

2. Sand or Tree lie will negatively impact your shot.

3. Sand Lie is now indicted in  the first person graphic  ( as is Tree lie) 

4.  At the start of each hole, the top numbers are :

Left = net score ( red = under par, black = even or over par) . So a red 2 means you are 2 under par

Right = current hole

During the hole,  the top numbers are :

LEFT = your current score on the hole

Right = Par for the hole.

5. After hole 9,  the top numbers are 

Left = net score ( red or black) 

Right = total score ( stroke count) .

Edited by easmith
fixed glitch where phantom water hazard was mistakenly registering
  • Like 6

added hole in one / chip in  feature for more score variation.  And now 11 holes !.

Note: It is possible to reach the green on the 5 par holes in 2 shots, but  is very hard to pull off.

Last update for a few days .

Edited by easmith
  • Like 4