IGNORED

Bruce Lee retweaked sprites

TIX

OK we have a winner, it's No.4 (with an extra pixel of mullet at the back), it's a nice compromise between 6 (too tall) and 5 (small hair)

essentially has the hair of 6 with a slightly smaller face,

I mean look at the photo, he is almost 50% face - 50% hair  !!

So love him or hate him, here is Bruce...  till I change my mind ?

6.JPG.c5dae0945479e667e13cce4c6c69fa97.JPG     bl.JPG.7fdf50b68581c9bede92cfcdd8d0cdb6.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TIX said:

OK we have a winner, it's No.4 (with an extra pixel of mullet at the back), it's a nice compromise between 6 (too tall) and 5 (small hair)

essentially has the hair of 6 with a slightly smaller face,

I mean look at the photo, he is almost 50% face - 50% hair  !!

So love him or hate him, here is Bruce...  till I change my mind ?

6.JPG.c5dae0945479e667e13cce4c6c69fa97.JPG     bl.JPG.7fdf50b68581c9bede92cfcdd8d0cdb6.JPG

Perhaps you could lower the top of his hair/head a little. Now his hair is as high as the distance between his chin and forehead. Looks like a very high Hi-Top Fade, but without the fade ;)

Other than that, I think it's spot-on! No eye, but anatomically speaking, an eye would be smaller than a pixel, so that's cool!

Edit: maybe heighten his torso a pixel and have the top of the sprite at the same point?

Edited by ivop
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Elvis impersonation or not, I still like 3 the best, but 2 is acceptable, horse eye still looks better than the bug-eyed, clown-footed original. The rest all look like they are meant for different sized scaling sprite effects of Princess Leia zooming in, except for half-face.

Edit: Not that it matters now, apparently; I was reading a reply to my post and replying to it, and didn't see the final was chosen until I just replied. But honestly, the new final is good enough for me, at least he doesn't look like Bun-head anymore with the extra pixel for hair in the back. Though I agree with @ivop 's latest reply.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey guys,

Great news,

dmx (the author of Bruce Lee: Return of Fury game on the C64) contact me for a possible cooperation !

He is working on a cartridge version of his game, with some bug fixes + extra options.

one of the options will be an alternate sprite set, my sprite set  ?

VERY excited  ?

• Like 12

1 minute ago, TIX said:

Hey guys,

Great news,

dmx (the author of Bruce Lee: Return of Fury game on the C64) contact me for a possible cooperation !

He is working on a cartridge version of his game, with some bug fixes + extra options.

one of the options will be an alternate sprite set, my sprite set  ?

VERY excited  ?

Wow, excellent new TIX

will he developed this for A8 as well ?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TIX said:

thanks man,

the jump kick is going to change later on

I tested the version with the Yamo's fix... and noticed that the "new" Bruce Lee only works when facing to the right. It comes back to the original when you face the character to the left. Was this done on purpose?

- Y -

Just now, Yautja said:

I tested the version with the Yamo's fix... and noticed that the "new" Bruce Lee only works when facing to the right. It comes back to the original when you face the character to the left. Was this done on purpose?

- Y -

Tix hasn't release a version with bruce lee. only ninja and Yamo

1 hour ago, Yautja said:

Yeah Bruce is still in progress, I have inserted a couple of frames for testing

Edited by TIX

Hey,

this is what I have so far (3rd row), the double wide frames are giving me grief as always.. but the work is flowing fast  !!

by the way, do you know what the Lego man is supposed to be doing ??

241541927_Brucesheet3JPG.thumb.JPG.7200bb24efd2c9df28e3df768772cddf.JPG

Edited by TIX
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, TIX said:

Hey,

this is what I have so far (3rd row), the double wide frames are giving me grief as always.. but the work is flowing fast  !!

IIRC, that is the pose when Bruce gets shocked/killed by on of the different types of electrical/energy "waves" that scroll horizontally, or the electrified "nail" floors he has to run across and I think also if he gets impaled by the swords/spikes that hang from the ceilings too. Hopefully you can do a better death pose than that. Though the original did always seem to fit the action in some strange way, but I think part of it was that it was an instant change to that frame with no transition frame(s).

In his jump-kick pose in the third row, is his leg long enough to work properly with collision detection? It looks like it's one double-wide pixel shorter than the ones in the first two rows.

By the way, I love the opening mouth across frames he's performing the jump-kick in, too bad we won't have a sound effect of his jump-kick scream too, like Yamo's "Moo."

Edited by Gunstar
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TIX said:

Hey,

Please use skin colour as a brown/light brown as on original (and is on the picture above).

Using pink but the chinese aren't pink but they also aren't that washed-out C64 yellow green or the so light yellow like on CPC. It was one of the criticisms for their version back then but for them is ok because C64 brown is too dark for skin and CPC hasn't really brown.

For A8 a light brown like 1C or FC (luminance E probably is also too light/bright).

Other than this things are going along nicely.

17 hours ago, Yautja said:

What about this?

bruce-hacked.jpg

Regarding the use of pink colour I should had quoted you instead of TIX so sorry to him and here's the answer now to you :

6 hours ago, TIX said:

Hey,

Please use skin colour as a brown/light brown as on original (and is on the picture above).

Using pink but the chinese aren't pink but they also aren't that washed-out C64 yellow green or the so light yellow like on CPC. It was one of the criticisms for their version back then but for them is ok because C64 brown is too dark for skin and CPC hasn't really brown.

For A8 a light brown like 1C or FC (luminance E probably is also too light/bright).

Other than this things are going along nicely.

1 hour ago, Gunstar said:

IIRC, that is the pose when Bruce gets shocked/killed by on of the different types of electrical/energy "waves" that scroll horizontally, or the electrified "nail" floors he has to run across and I think also if he gets impaled by the swords/spikes that hang from the ceilings too. Hopefully you can do a better death pose than that. Though the original did always seem to fit the action in some strange way, but I think part of it was that it was an instant change to that frame with no transition frame(s).

In his jump-kick pose in the third row, is his leg long enough to work properly with collision detection? It looks like it's one double-wide pixel shorter than the ones in the first two rows.

By the way, I love the opening mouth across frames he's performing the jump-kick in, too bad we won't have a sound effect of his jump-kick scream too, like Yamo's "Moo."

• I noticed that this frame appears for a fraction of a second when you jump up !?!?!

the same also happens on Yamo's jump (falling down frame appears).. I can't understand the purpose of this..

• This I have to test..
Edited by TIX

most people move there arms and hands into that position before throwing them up and proceeding to push off with their legs at apogee.

as for coloration? look at all the photos below when in make up and not.

image.thumb.jpeg.0b4d1932b66d902a60ad8c65eb1ef2f9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2abec218d8224c765c0792df94e4dd32.jpeg

image.jpeg.f9fb6fe9f7fc3f8dcf169c96f22ac73e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.70807713a604513736892fe1d0f3f2ff.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a990a3df3a8c77ff72ef8f96d6196316.jpeg

I don't see an issue, he was the same color as just about anybody, and of course the sun could make him reddish or tan depending on time of year and location. I've seen bad bronzing done for the movies etc... but that was common for television and movies especially for initial black and white television and color transition days... depending on lighting they still goof that all up today.

Edited by _The Doctor__

3 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

most people move there arms and hands into that position before throwing them up and proceeding to push off with their legs at apogee.

what you say doesn't make sense, I was talking about the Lego man frame..

Bruce: when you press up, the frame changes to 'Lego' Bruce (1), and then it proceeds to coiling (2) and jumping (3), falling back down reverses the steps.

bruce_jump.JPG.027e3f81d7bfd15084168a218f934a66.JPG

same for Yamo: when you press up, the frame changes to falling Yamo (1), and then it proceeds to coiling (2) and jumping (3), falling back down reverses the steps.

Yamo_jump.JPG.0f8bc807fffd07d9d36470ee70b6e350.JPG

If I change 'Lego' Bruce frame with a death frame, it will mess up the whole sequence..

Help anyone ?

Edited by TIX

you change from horse stance putting your feet closer together with your arms to your sides, then crouch, you throw your arms up and push off with your legs as the arms approach the highest point, the combined motion gets your body higher up in the air when you jump. What doesn't make sense?

Edited by _The Doctor__