IGNORED

Bruce Lee retweaked sprites

TIX

Started playing RC6-nodeathframe and something really weird happened here:

atari005.png.0bf4d584f6bcede8ede7d407e8f2dd59.png

I walked over the ledge on the left and started to fall down. Then, suddenly, I got stuck and warped to where I am now on the image!

Edit: I can replicate it almost everytime. Walk to the left, start falling and as soon as you fall, move to the right frantically. You will be warped/transported/beamed up!

Edit2: If you do the same thing at the second fall, you are also warped back up :) Everytime after I edit this post, I continue playing and something happens :)

Edited by ivop

22 hours ago, dmsc said:

Hi!

I also like the new sprites, look really good. But, as the game uses player collisions, there are some funny things that happen. Mos notorious for me was that as bruce opens it's legs on falling, sometimes you start falling and immediately stop, then start again, etc.

I could get the "death frame" going to the left in a ladder see:

bruce.thumb.gif.e9e992718e37a2bef25f4043f3f7e99b.gif

image.png.c8f88227ad20d42fec450a8590a0738b.png

Have Fun!

It also happens in the original version :)

• Like 1

The warping/transporter effect happens on real hardware w/ the new sprites. Just played the original again, and tried the warping, and it's impossible. I think it's related to the wide legs during falling. You can suddenly stand somewhere halfway your fall. The fact that you suddenly appear somewhere totally different is probably a bug, never uncovered because normally you can't stand there.

To avoid this:

image.png.2357d096e97a816d23a06f3274a378d7.png

During the fall, when the lower body drops without hitting anything (PM0=Black PM) but not the upper body (PM1=Pink PM), the engine moves Bruce a little to the right or a little to the left.

Let's move him a bit more: I changed tree bytes:

• $00003C20: $1C -> $91
  • $00003C21: $18 -> $17
  • $00003C29: $DE -> $91

Bruce Lee RC6-nodeathframe-infinitelives-fall.xex

In assembler

jsr MoveRight
            jsr MoveDown
            jmp MoveDownAndSetStateToFall

becomes:

jsr MoveRight
            jsr MoveRight
            jmp MoveDownAndSetStateToFall

The same for the movement on the left.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes he falls off... he sits in the fire pit if you move about kick and punching, he will settle down and roast until the game starts again... I always imagined you can get across the fire on hidden items in the fire to the other side.....

Yamo is super tough now... he knocks you off ladders and climb up spots much more, and he chased me up the falls at least once... I know it's prolly not really in the code but he was right behind me and took the ride up to the top!

Edited by _The Doctor__

40 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Yamo is super tough now... he knocks you off ladders and climb up spots much more, and he chased me up the falls at least once... I know it's prolly not really in the code but he was right behind me and took the ride up to the top!

He used to kick you off laders before. A sprite change doesn't suddenly make him chase you more. But I think you already got that ;)  Yamo just has different collision points now. And I think his feet got bigger or reach a bit further, as it seems he is more likely to hit you than in the original if you don't duck in time or walk away. But his bigger belly might be an advantage for Bruce.

Actually, I lost a man in that spot and another similar spot. I had to move in close and jump at it to get by.

I played through the latest RC6 infinite version with no real problems though, just slightly different technique in some areas, etc.

I am ready for a non-infinite version, so I can keep playing on and see how many times I can re-do it. 

Great job Tix! I think the sprites that you had to redraw for various reasons look even better! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ivop said:

He used to kick you off laders before. A sprite change doesn't suddenly make him chase you more. But I think you already got that ;)  Yamo just has different collision points now. And I think his feet got bigger or reach a bit further, as it seems he is more likely to hit you than in the original if you don't duck in time or walk away. But his bigger belly might be an advantage for Bruce.

actually the opposite happened, both have had their legs chopped by a pixel !

So it's a fair fight..

choped.JPG.9b34c860213f2f809cf2f1e08235d744.JPG

Edited by TIX
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Gunstar said:

Great job Tix! I think the sprites that you had to redraw for various reasons look even better! 

Thanks man,

I agree, in the end I prefer the new frames too ;)

Edited by TIX

11 hours ago, vattari said:

I just tried this on real hardware (firstly I must say, this is brilliant rework of the original) but found it was more difficult to collect the lantern highlighted in the screen below.

Thank you my friend,

hmm.. I thought I have solved the bumping of the head problem..  let me check again

• Thanks 1

When I played through last night, Yamo most definitely kicked me when I was on ladders or moving belts. And he managed to kick me off once or twice. There are one or two adjustments I had to make to my play style due to the new sprites, but that's a good thing as it had just become rote muscle-memory playing this game anyway. I'm already ready for Bruce Lee 2 after playing this one through with the new sprites.