IGNORED

Bruce Lee retweaked sprites

TIX

Very nice - I think these improvements are awesome!  I'm looking forward to playing the game through when all the updates are complete.

Call it an FYI - from a martial arts form point of view - a kick accompanied by outstretched or loose arms is known as "starfishing".  Not desirable.

That being said, as the good doctor pointed out, Bruce's new horse stance is much better than the original leaning against a wall pose!

keep up the good great work!

• Thanks 1

there is an issue with the death frame popping up in transitions / grabbing lanterns...

the horse stance makes it so one can fall down on ledges that once were perfectly fine to stand on- if your crotch straddles the precipice and you move, you sometimes die... fix would be to widen a precipice or narrow the stance or shit the character/stance and add feet etc.

the death frame is mixed up with either frame 2 3 or 4 in the coding fix.... I haven't looked at it but I suspect it was a matter of a count starting with 0 as a programmer would vs starting with 1 like everyday folks do when the request was made as to which one needed code modification..

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Yep, saw the death frame too when I wasn't dead. Well, basically it's a totally different game now. Most of my patterns don't work anymore. You have to move back to get lanterns that previously were hit already by Bruce's head. Or feet, too, when dropping off ledges!

BUT, I like the sprites! Not all negative :)  Perhaps the jumping up frame (the 2nd to the right of the death frame) could have its legs a little bit closer. This looks pretty weird with regard to he previous frame. Like he's spreading his legs. And why would you do gymnastics, if you want to jump UP! :)

Edited by ivop

I am able to play though, and have adjusted my game play so as not to land on my (b*lls) and die an agonizing death LFMAO.

The lanterns have to be grabbed earlier when you are at a screen transition point since Bruce is wider... you may leave the room hearing the grabbed lantern noise you are expecting but not realizing the same noise is used for screen change or trap unlock as well as lantern grabs...

Realizing that we've jumped sooner and have been able to get lanterns with my neck/shoulder as opposed to top of my head... this actually makes sense in that your grabbing lanterns as opposed to breaking them all the time with head-butting. so move closer and jump near walls of a room, and start your jump further away at room transition points

Edited by _The Doctor__

You can get permanently stuck where Bruce is in the picture below. I made it past this point once, with difficulty, but this time he's stuck forever...time to reboot!

20190804_142500.jpg

Oh, wait, I FINALLY managed to coax Bruce out...

Edited by Gunstar

Hi!

1 hour ago, ivop said:

Yep, saw the death frame too when I wasn't dead. Well, basically it's a totally different game now. Most of my patterns don't work anymore. You have to move back to get lanterns that previously were hit already by Bruce's head. Or feet, too, when dropping off ledges!

BUT, I like the sprites! Not all negative :)  Perhaps the jumping up frame (the 2nd to the right of the death frame) could have its legs a little bit closer. This looks pretty weird with regard to he previous frame. Like he's spreading his legs. And why would you do gymnastics, if you want to jump UP! :)

I also like the new sprites, look really good. But, as the game uses player collisions, there are some funny things that happen. Mos notorious for me was that as bruce opens it's legs on falling, sometimes you start falling and immediately stop, then start again, etc.

I could get the "death frame" going to the left in a ladder see:

bruce.thumb.gif.e9e992718e37a2bef25f4043f3f7e99b.gif

image.png.c8f88227ad20d42fec450a8590a0738b.png

Have Fun!

Yes I have encountered those problems (not so frequently though),

I tried not to change the sprites, but seems to be necessary.. :(

I have since removed 1 pixel from his standing frame, and 2 from his jumping !

For the death frame there is nothing I can do.. for some reason it is used in more sequences.

Maybe fantomas can take a look ?

So any better ?

Bruce Lee (full sprite hack RC2).xex

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TIX said:

For the death frame there is nothing I can do.. for some reason it is used in more sequences.

Maybe fantomas can take a look ?

I think there were two bytes left to change:

At offset $000044FF: $08 -> $44
At offset $00004538: $08 -> $44

• Like 1

I tried the latest RC2 version and I got stuck in the exact same spot as my screenshot above, but this time the death frame and stance frame flashed between each other, leaving no time for joystick input and I had to reboot.

4 hours ago, Gunstar said:

I tried the latest RC2 version and I got stuck in the exact same spot as my screenshot above, but this time the death frame and stance frame flashed between each other, leaving no time for joystick input and I had to reboot.

hmmm, the only solution I can see (keeping the standing frame as it is), is adding a pixel in the middle of the gap ?

Ugly I know, but it works..    Hey, maybe he dropped his wallet  :lolblue:

pixel.JPG.861e21f00ee6e2c868a72c8422ddde85.JPG

Edited by TIX
  • Haha 1

Having issues with the lasers on the floor - or whatever they are - near the end as you hit the ceiling when you jump but, if you adjust your timing, it goes well (though it's a bit more chaotic than on the original).

Another vote for the new G2F screen. A name change to Bruce Lee 2019 or something similar would be nice as well.

7 minutes ago, www.atarimania.com said:

Having issues with the lasers on the floor - or whatever they are - near the end as you hit the ceiling when you jump but, if you adjust your timing, it goes well

hmm strange, I don't think he jumps higher now..  can you check with original version ?

perhaps I can fine-tune the jump better !

• Like 1

10 hours ago, xrbrevin said:

looking sweet! :)

image.png.9b581b94045d6dcbd057452aa644b503.png

Fantômas does not fear the commissaire Juve!

1 hour ago, TIX said:

Hey fantomas and xrbrevin,

your pictures reminds me, I love the Louis de Funes (Fantomas) movies !

The three movies from the sixties are not generally regarded as good film adaptations of Fantômas but I love them too! ?

• Like 2

Not sure something was changed but I tried the screen with the four laser floors using the version in post #160 and everything went fine ;-)

I noticed the death sound is sometimes missing when you're "fried" by a laser.

It seems you can't continuously jump from the platform to the ledge and to the next platform on the second screen as Bruce Lee gets stuck but I can live with that!

Edited by www.atarimania.com
  • Like 1

I thinks it's a good thing to have little changes that disrupt old, tired, routines people use to get through the game. It makes it a new challenge...but places where you can get permanently stuck need to be fixed.

• Like 1

I tried RC4. Played up until this level:

atari004.png.26db0e64a5ecca414adf9dfb90f8b63b.png

Besides still seeing numerous death frames and gameplay changes, this level changed the most so far as becoming almost unplayable. He constantly bumps his head!! Which he shouldn't do...

I like the new "stance", but still think there's too much space between his legs when he jumps up :)