IGNORED

UDS-10 w/Stuart's Browser v9.2 - name resolution issue

jmazzy

I realized I could have directly msg'ed Stuart or Corey about this, but thought I would post just in case someone else was in the same boat as me:

I've genuinely enjoyed participating in the monthly chat on MYTI99.COM.  Since I don't have a TIPI, I'm relegated to using version 9.2 of Stuart's browser along with my UDS-10 to connect to MYTI99.COM. 

This setup worked fine until version 9.3 of the browser debuted, at which time I was unable to log in.  Thankfully, Corey was kind enough to make some adjustments on the server which fixed that issue, and everything worked fine again.

Then, last month, I ran into a new issue:  the browser reported  'Error - host name not recognised'.  After some experimentation tonight, I see this is clearly a name resolution problem.  If I try to use a URL with a host name (e.g. MYTI99.COM), I receive the above error.  But if I use an URL that begins with an IP address (e.g. 198.136.54.70/~stuartc2/z.htm), it works fine.

(I see Stuart's website mentions:  '...if using a serial port version of the browser, the browser accesses a script on a web page on the server 64.037.052.172 (which hosts my site www.stuartconner.me.uk) to resolve the specified host name to its IP address.')

Anyway, two questions:

(1)  Does anyone know the exact IP address-based URL for MYTI99.COM?  (I've already tried unsuccessfully to use just the IP address:  in other words, 69.28.88.226 doesn't work.  I'm assuming some path is also needed.)

(2)  Any prospects for PEB-based TIPI's anytime soon?  (I'd love to join the ranks of TIPI users, but looks like new TIPI's haven't been available for some time?)

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, --- Ω --- said:

Using your PC browser go to:  http://domaintoipconverter.com/index.php  then type in MYTI99.COM and hit convert.  It'll give you the current IP to use with your UDS-10.

It's been so long since I used a UDS-10 with 9.2 that I cannot tell you why it's not working.  Sorry, someone else will have to step in.

Also, START:Run...  CMD.EXE

nslookup <hostname>

C:\Users\old_cs1>nslookup myti99.com
Server:  xevious.int.old_cs1.net
Address:  192.168.74.10

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    myti99.com
Address:  69.28.88.226

Using your PC browser go to:  http://domaintoipconverter.com/index.php  then type in MYTI99.COM and hit convert.  It'll give you the current IP to use with your UDS-10.

It's been so long since I used a UDS-10 with 9.2 that I cannot tell you why it's not working.  Sorry, someone else will have to step in.

Won't work likely.. Myti99.com uses a server that's name based. Otherwise it would work with the ip

Instead if asking us why don't you contact Stuart and let him know the dns part is down

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arcadeshopper said:

Won't work likely.. Myti99m.com uses a server that's name based.

Instead if asking us why don't you contact Stuart and let him know the dns part is down

Yeah, I'll reach out to Stuart because it does appear his script may have changed or been removed.

I just thought I might be able to get away with inserting the IP address + path for MYTI99COM.  If that's even possible, Corey would know.  I'll drop him a note, too.

Thanks, everyone.

• Like 1

Thanks, Stuart.

I've just tested it again.  There's still an issue, although it looks like we're making progress.  Here's what I'm seeing:

I start the browser and type-in the URL 'www.myti99.com' - the name resolution works:  I get to the MYTI99.com welcome page.  Then I click 'Log In', and I get to the login page.  I type-in my screen name and password, then click 'Log In', and then receive the msg 'Login Successful'.  All good.

But then when I click 'Continue', the banner at the bottom reads 'Resolving IP address...' for several seconds and then fails with 'Error - host name not recognised'.  (Screen shot below.)

I do remember reading in an earlier post that something was changed to prevent the URL from revealing the user's screen name and PIN.  I suspect whatever problem we're seeing here may be a side-effect of that change.

Any thoughts?  Or is this something for Corey?

IMG_5999.jpg

3 hours ago, jmazzy said:

Thanks, Stuart.

I've just tested it again.  There's still an issue, although it looks like we're making progress.  Here's what I'm seeing:

I start the browser and type-in the URL 'www.myti99.com' - the name resolution works:  I get to the MYTI99.com welcome page.  Then I click 'Log In', and I get to the login page.  I type-in my screen name and password, then click 'Log In', and then receive the msg 'Login Successful'.  All good.

But then when I click 'Continue', the banner at the bottom reads 'Resolving IP address...' for several seconds and then fails with 'Error - host name not recognised'.  (Screen shot below.)

I do remember reading in an earlier post that something was changed to prevent the URL from revealing the user's screen name and PIN.  I suspect whatever problem we're seeing here may be a side-effect of that change.

Any thoughts?  Or is this something for Corey?

I had this same issue with UDS devices last year or so and i found a solution at the time.  Not sure if it will work but you can give it a shot.

Select option 1 (Channel 1), and press <Return> to get to the "Auto increment source port" option. This is set to No by default, change it to Yes. Keep pressing<Return> then save and exit.

• Like 1

I had this same issue with UDS devices last year or so and i found a solution at the time.  Not sure if it will work but you can give it a shot.

Select option 1 (Channel 1), and press to get to the "Auto increment source port" option. This is set to No by default, change it to Yes. Keep pressing then save and exit.
Yeah I remember that was a issue with some routers not changing their source port on multiple requests

12 hours ago, Shift838 said:

Select option 1 (Channel 1), and press <Return> to get to the "Auto increment source port" option. This is set to No by default, change it to Yes. Keep pressing<Return> then save and exit.

Thanks for the tip.  I double-checked:  my UDS-10 is currently set for Auto increment source port ON.  So I guess that's not the issue.

I should mention, too, that my UDS-10 and network equipment haven't changed at all since the time everything was working just fine back in May.  So it seems likely to be either a residual issue on Stuart's server (which does the host name lookup, as I understand it) or something on the MYTI99.COM server.

Screen Shot 2019-07-06 at 9.41.38 AM.jpg

1 hour ago, jmazzy said:

Thanks for the tip.  I double-checked:  my UDS-10 is currently set for Auto increment source port ON.  So I guess that's not the issue.

I should mention, too, that my UDS-10 and network equipment haven't changed at all since the time everything was working just fine back in May.  So it seems likely to be either a residual issue on Stuart's server (which does the host name lookup, as I understand it) or something on the MYTI99.COM server.

Screen Shot 2019-07-06 at 9.41.38 AM.jpg

What happens if you click around on the pages listed on [http://www.stuartconner.me.uk/ti/ti.htm#internet_web_browser]? Do all those pages work OK? I know that Corey has done loads of changes to his myti99.com site to make use of the latest browser features, and it may be there is a bug using it with the browser v9.2.

On 7/6/2019 at 10:53 AM, Stuart said:

What happens if you click around on the pages listed on [http://www.stuartconner.me.uk/ti/ti.htm#internet_web_browser]? Do all those pages work OK? I know that Corey has done loads of changes to his myti99.com site to make use of the latest browser features, and it may be there is a bug using it with the browser v9.2.

Although the name resolution appears to work, I receive an error message ("HTTP error when retrieving page") when I try that URL:

IMG_6002.thumb.jpg.12c695535de0dea0b7b2c020d3191fab.jpg

2 hours ago, jmazzy said:

Although the name resolution appears to work, I receive an error message ("HTTP error when retrieving page") when I try that URL:

IMG_6002.thumb.jpg.12c695535de0dea0b7b2c020d3191fab.jpg 

I meant the browser pages listed on that page (look for the heading "Sample Web Sites") rather than that page itself.  ;-)   My bad!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

I meant the browser pages listed on that page (look for the heading "Sample Web Sites") rather than that page itself.  ;-)   My bad!

No worries.  I tried most of the pages listed under "Sample Web Sites".  They all work fine, even the chat application.

This gave me the idea to test several MYTI99.COM pages similarly, observing the various URL's carefully.  In the process, I was able to identify the exact URL/path to the chat function, and so long as my login credentials are appended to it, it works just fine: 

www.myti99.com/gc2.pl?u=screen name&p=PIN

IMG_6011.thumb.jpg.1cce5d70bff040a8a39131fdad35a63a.jpg

In a nutshell, it looks like the host name resolution via your server is fine (thank you again for the fix), although something still isn't quite right on the MYTI99.COM server specifically related to the account login page ( www.myti99.com/account.pl?a=showLoginForm&rurl=www.myti99.com&u=screen name&p=PIN )

But it's easy enough to circumvent that issue by simply typing in the exact chat URL with login credentials, as I noted above.  So I'm all set. ?

• Like 1

@jmazzy:

The bug you're seeing where the "Continue" link you see after you login is a server-side issue for sure, since that link is automatically produced on the server. I'll take a look to see I may have introduced a bug when modifying myti99.com to accommodate v9.3. I'll take a peek at the code to see what's up. Normally, this link would take you back to whatever page you tried to access before being prompted to log in. I'll see if it's a 9.2 issue or not.

Also - to determine a site's IP address, you should be able to open a terminal in your favorite OS and ping it. 

eg: ping myti99.com

However using just the IP address with any browser is a bad idea because most servers are configured to host more than one website sharing the same IP address.

Web servers rely on the HTTP GET or POST request to determine what site a user selects. Server admins can set a default to appear by IP address alone, but you never know what you're going to see.

Also it's best to use the full URL in Stuart's browser, eg www.myti99.com instead of just myti99.com. I do have both of these supported and prefer the one without the 'www' but this requires use of an HTTP REDIRECT to work. Stuart has added support for this but I haven't gotten my server configured to properly support this yet. Another issue is that you won't be able to use them interchangeably with cookies since each full URL name maintains its own cookies. Browsers on modern PCs can support domain cookies which don't have this problem, but that would be a bit silly to add to Stuart's browser I think. Anyone making 99ml sites should stick to a common URL.

Anyway thanks for the feedback. I have a new game online called SCORCH that is a simple 2-player artillery game. It's still under development but is playable.

-ElectricLab

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ElectricLab said:

@jmazzy:

The bug you're seeing where the "Continue" link you see after you login is a server-side issue for sure, since that link is automatically produced on the server. I'll take a look to see I may have introduced a bug when modifying myti99.com to accommodate v9.3. I'll take a peek at the code to see what's up. Normally, this link would take you back to whatever page you tried to access before being prompted to log in. I'll see if it's a 9.2 issue or not.

Also - to determine a site's IP address, you should be able to open a terminal in your favorite OS and ping it. 

eg: ping myti99.com

However using just the IP address with any browser is a bad idea because most servers are configured to host more than one website sharing the same IP address.

Web servers rely on the HTTP GET or POST request to determine what site a user selects. Server admins can set a default to appear by IP address alone, but you never know what you're going to see.

Also it's best to use the full URL in Stuart's browser, eg www.myti99.com instead of just myti99.com. I do have both of these supported and prefer the one without the 'www' but this requires use of an HTTP REDIRECT to work. Stuart has added support for this but I haven't gotten my server configured to properly support this yet. Another issue is that you won't be able to use them interchangeably with cookies since each full URL name maintains its own cookies. Browsers on modern PCs can support domain cookies which don't have this problem, but that would be a bit silly to add to Stuart's browser I think. Anyone making 99ml sites should stick to a common URL.

Anyway thanks for the feedback. I have a new game online called SCORCH that is a simple 2-player artillery game. It's still under development but is playable.

-ElectricLab

? Thanks much!