IGNORED

XEGS Arrival

displaced

Well, my XEGS arrived today. System, keyboard and grey joystick. My first A8!

Got one of the OK PSUs, gave it a quick multimeter test and it looks good.  System passes self-tests which I left running for an hour or so.  Good news!

The exterior’s pretty grubby, but no scrapes, chips or cracks, so should clean up well in some soapy water.

Top of the PCB looks fine, but the underside is *gross*.  

Not it sure what it was exposed to, but the underneath has patches of dark orange under it.  IPA’s taking it away, but it’s leaving a nasty-smelling sticky residue that’s taking extra work to clean off.

First thought was a drink spill, but then it’d be on the top of the PCB too.

Current thinking is perhaps this machine had many, many packs of cigarettes smoked over it!

• Like 1

The problem with "cleaning" an XE is that just the action of a medium toothbrush on the board could potentially kill the thing.

In theory it'd be OK to just soak the thing in warm dishwashing water though you'd probably want to keep water away from the capacitors in case it leeches in.

9 minutes ago, Rybags said:

The problem with "cleaning" an XE is that just the action of a medium toothbrush on the board could potentially kill the thing.

In theory it'd be OK to just soak the thing in warm dishwashing water though you'd probably want to keep water away from the capacitors in case it leeches in.

Looks like I dodged a bullet :) . I cleaned away with a shaving brush I'd cut shorter to give it a bit more stiffness.  Plenty of IPA was involved!  Had the board in the sink and just kept spraying and gently wiping downwards until the run-off went from orange to clear.  

Hooked the board back up after drying and it's still running OK.

Now...  the Select switch is playing up.  Have to push quite firmly and wiggle it to get it to register a push.  I saw a link here to http://vybostok.com/8bit-atari/flooded-and-rusted-atari-xegs-repair/ which shows removing the plunger part so the insides and be cleaned and the rubber dome re-carboned.  I'd like to give that a try, but am struggling to remove the plunger.  The linked page just says it was removed 'carefully' -- can anyone elaborate?  It looks like I might need to pinch the two catches visible through slots in the base to extract the inner part, but don't want to go nuts on it without asking here first.

The machine's even starting to smell better.  If only I could get the stink and stickiness off my hands :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Does the XEGS have any drawbacks over a 800XL?

It's kind of HUGE with the keyboard attached and the keyboard is somewhat "mushy" feeling in comparison to most XL keyboards.  The motherboard has fully soldered chips too, which makes it more difficult to upgrade. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Does the XEGS have any drawbacks over a 800XL?

Yes. The XE's are not built as well (but are okay). No socketed chips makes upgrading and fixing (much) more difficult. Only composite video out. XL's it's not difficult to patch the chroma line for s-video.  XEGS footprint is large with the keyboard.  The XEGS keyboard is mushy. Maybe 1/3rd of 800XL's have a great mechanical keyboard.  The case styling is very different.  The XEGS function keys are awkward to use comparatively.  Joystick ports have more difficult insertion. Cart slot doesn't have dust cover.

XEGS advantage is the detached keyboard and more console styled case more appropriate for living room.

edit: beaten by SS!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Thanks for the info guys.  Yeah seems 800XL is still the better choice for general use.

You gotta love those pastel buttons on the XEGS though, reminds me of Easter lol.  

I considered an XL or regular XE... but the slight oddness of the GS won me over!

I intend to see if I can build little Arduino modules to bridge the GS’s keyboard and joystick ports so that I can use a Bluetooth keyboard and gamepads. Did the same with my STFM (but with a Raspberry Pi Zero).

Thought the GS would be easier for that because of the external keyboard. Of course, I’ve since learnt that the Start/Option/Select buttons aren’t exposed on the keyboard connector, so it’ll be tricky.

Still - all good fun!

• Like 2

Icky brown stuff could indeed be from the solder used. 90% IPA with Q-tips is your best best. Go slow and go gentle. Be ready to use lots of Q-tips. Don't worry if you don't get all of it off. It doesn't necessarily affect the computer - only your peace of mind knowing it's clean. ;)

A spilled drink or something would have leaked onto the plastic and every nook an cranny in the case.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 6BQ5 said:

Icky brown stuff could indeed be from the solder used. 90% IPA with Q-tips is your best best. Go slow and go gentle. Be ready to use lots of Q-tips. Don't worry if you don't get all of it off. It doesn't necessarily affect the computer - only your peace of mind knowing it's clean. ;)

A spilled drink or something would have leaked onto the plastic and every nook an cranny in the case.

Yeah - I’m coming round to it being flux or something. The machine was otherwise in too good condition to have nicotine deposits.

IPA did indeed to the trick. Started off with a slow soft brush, and rinsed with IPA until it ran clear.  

I’ve had the machine uncased running all its self tests for a few hours. Seems fine (apart from the temperamental button - need to have another try at disassembling the switch tonight).

The case and keycaps had a good few hours outside in the sun. It’s a good few shades lighter than it was - I think the same again tomorrow should get it back to factory-fresh!

And best of all, after all this cleaning, it no longer smells funny :)

My VBXE’s arriving tomorrow or Monday. So I need to lift pin 3 of FREDDIE and link it via a resistor to pin 40. Already checked and there’s 0 ohm between those pins, so need to mod it per the instructions on lotharek’s site.  Will see if I get time to do that this eve ... don’t want to rush it!

Edited by displaced
  • Like 1

I have said it before.  I love the XEGS.  I have only upgraded the memory on mine to match the 130XE.  I have said it before, not many programs utilize the extra banked memory.  Good to have for Demos, that is about it.  I like the pastel buttons, cotton candy colored goodness, totally rad late '80s styling.  I used a IBM Model M (clicky) keyboard with mine.  The keyboard is heavier than the console. Anyway, I have all the 8-bits, I use this on the most.  Cart port is right where it should be, on top, not in the back like those wacky-doodle Tramiels put them on the 65XE and 130XEs.  What were THEY thinking with that?  Anyway, congrats on your XEGS.  Enjoy it.

2 hours ago, gilsaluki said:

Anyway, congrats on your XEGS.  Enjoy it.

Thank you (and everyone else!)

With my wife supplying an extra pair of hands, we got the faulty Select switch disassembled.  Put some more graphite on the dome inside and it’s now working fine.

Ive got a 5Kohm resistor ready for the FREDDIE mod for the VBXE. Reckon that’s tomorrow’s job while the case is having a bit more time in the sun!