FarmerPotato

New 512K flash cartridge design, rewritable by 4A

For

2 hours ago, Ksarul said:

Looks like I need to go on a bulk chip hunt again. . .  :) 

For ATF22LV10?

These are a good replacement for PAL and GAL lines. Still new from Mouser at $1.45.  But they are a dead end. For one thing, just 10 bits of memory tied to the outputs. The ATF750 and ATF1500 offer more (hidden flip flops), but they aren't programmable in the TL866.

I think my next step is ice40lp384-SG32 .. it's a tiny FPGA for $1.31. Gives you 21 IOs. Only downside is two degrees harder to solder on. Needs an external EEPROM.  But Lattice has been very good to me in a lot of ways.  Somehow I overlooked this little baby member of the family. 

I'm obsessed with minimizing costs as a design goal.

• Like 2

I tend to look for chips that I need at the 500-1,000 chip level, as then I have enough to last me a long time. . .and it keeps my cost per chip pretty low, as long as I'm willing to deal with the upfront transaction costs.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2019 at 5:39 PM, Ksarul said:

I tend to look for chips that I need at the 500-1,000 chip level, as then I have enough to last me a long time. . .and it keeps my cost per chip pretty low, as long as I'm willing to deal with the upfront transaction costs.

Yeh... that's my problem, I'm so broke, that when I need to buy chips, I have to get them in the 10 pieces level, just getting the first price break. Hopefully things will get better soon.

I just bought 1,200 of the ATF22V10s for about 75 cents each. These are the DIP chips though, not the PLCCs. I'm still waiting to see if the PLCCs come through. . .but now I will definitely have enough of them for this and one other project I was working on that needed 22V10s.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

500 of the PLCC chips cost me a few dollars more than 1,200 of the DIP chips did, but I now have both of them on the way. Now to work an upgrade into the UberGROM board to see if I can update the ROM side in system. . .without affecting the 1284.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ksarul said:

500 of the PLCC chips cost me a few dollars more than 1,200 of the DIP chips did, but I now have both of them on the way. Now to work an upgrade into the UberGROM board to see if I can update the ROM side in system. . .without affecting the 1284.

holy crap that's a lot of chips.

but.. 22LV10C-JU10 is $1.28 at Mouser, so 500x would be $640. This has 5V input tolerance according to the data sheet.

I hope you are not going all-in on 22LV10 on just my recommendation. I'm still evaluating them in-system. I've only fully tested at 3.3V. Waiting for cartridge boards.

One note, I am using the V10 variant, not the LV10, as I try to stay with five volt components where possible. In the case of the DIP chips, I have two other boards that use them, so it was just an opportunity to get a bunch of them. Note also that I have to add about $40 in taxes to a $640 purchase, so once that and shipping (if any) are calculated in, the cost is a little higher. These just give me a good reason to begin learning the necessary coding rules for PLDs.