IGNORED

So I brought my Lynx II to play while getting my oil change recently...

Stevaside

...& out of the corner of my eye I saw 2 kids walk by & heard one say "WHAT IS THAT?!" to which the other replied, "I think that's the first PSP" ??

Just one out of many examples of how the retrogaming I enjoy in general is really starting to make me feel like a dinosaur lol I mean u have ppl in their early - mid 20's nowadays who's first console was a PS2 ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

Reminds me of my flight to eJagfest with two Lynxes in the cabin baggage. All the guys at the security came to inspect the Lynxes and my collection of carts. They were really nice and told about their own first handhelds.

• Like 2

Slightly off topic but I took my virtual boy into work one night and the guy thought it was something out of a sc-fi movie. They loved it though. Being in the UK, they are as rare as rocking horse poo. 

As for my lynx, my daughter finds it very interesting although abit big for her hands, she's 10. Her weapon of choice is a 3ds, so a big difference.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Retromills said:

Slightly off topic but I took my virtual boy into work one night and the guy thought it was something out of a sc-fi movie. They loved it though. Being in the UK, they are as rare as rocking horse poo. 

As for my lynx, my daughter finds it very interesting although abit big for her hands, she's 10. Her weapon of choice is a 3ds, so a big difference.

Haha. I'm in The States & the only time I ever saw a Virtual Boy myself was once in the 90's at a mall kiosk & I played the Tennis for a couple minutes. Don't remember ever seeing one again aside from maybe boxed at a game store.

My cousin's son a few years ago when he was like 8...when I introduced him to the Lynx I thought it was hilarious that his first reaction was to start touching the screen.

Also, one of the major defining moments of me realizing I have really became old was when her stepson who was about 15 around that same time (& is now 19-20), saw my consoles all set up & goes "Nintendo Entertainment System?!...What is THAT?!" in a super confused tone

Edited by Stevaside
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Stevaside said:

Also, one of the major defining moments of me realizing I have really became old was when her stepson who was about 15 around that same time (& is now 19-20), saw my consoles all set up & goes "Nintendo Entertainment System?!...What is THAT?!" in a super confused tone

Ouch lol

... but seriously, how can you not know what it is even now with all the mini consoles selling millions...

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Stevaside said:

Haha. I'm in The States & the only time I ever saw a Virtual Boy myself was once in the 90's at a mall kiosk & I played the Tennis for a couple minutes. Don't remember ever seeing one again aside from maybe boxed at a game store.

My cousin's son a few years ago when he was like 8...when I introduced him to the Lynx I thought it was hilarious that his first reaction was to start touching the screen.

I was lucky enough to get my VB about 10 years ago before prices started to get stupid.

Ah yes, the touching the screen, always a good one to watch. I think it's natural instinct for kids now. 

Jesus this is making me feel old. Lol

• Haha 1

This happened to me recently as well. I was taking my Game Boy Original through security and had it in one of these old plastic cases that look like a giant Game Boy Original. The screener marked the bag for extra inspection because they didn't recognize the batteries and were unsure what they were! This old style case has slots for 8 AA batteries, because these old consoles were battery eaters. I always find it fun to bring it and other older portal consoles on trips with me and play in the airport or airplane. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Clint Thompson said:

Ouch lol

... but seriously, how can you not know what it is even now with all the mini consoles selling millions...

Think the minis weren't out just yet..Who knows he was huge into games too lol I also catch myself about to say "The Nintendo" in front of people sometimes as if there's still one sole console from them hahaha

Edited by Stevaside
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Retromills said:

I was lucky enough to get my VB about 10 years ago before prices started to get stupid.

Ah yes, the touching the screen, always a good one to watch. I think it's natural instinct for kids now. 

Jesus this is making me feel old. Lol

Knew some of you on here would feel my pain lol 

Not too much longer before it'll be "Huh? You mean this round shaped thing is a GAME?"

Edited by Stevaside
  • Haha 1

On 7/9/2019 at 12:35 AM, Stevaside said:

Knew some of you on here would feel my pain lol 

Not too much longer before it'll be "Huh? You mean this round shaped thing is a GAME?"

On 7/9/2019 at 12:28 AM, Stevaside said:

Think the minis weren't out just yet..Who knows he was huge into games too lol I also catch myself about to say "The Nintendo" in front of people sometimes as if there's still one sole console from them hahaha

Certainly feel your pain. Bloody kids making you feel old. I must say I'm not looking forward to just having digital media, I like my cartridges and disc's.

I still say "I'm going to play some Nintendo" haha.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 7:04 AM, Stevaside said:

...& out of the corner of my eye I saw 2 kids walk by & heard one say "WHAT IS THAT?!" to which the other replied, "I think that's the first PSP" ??

Just one out of many examples of how the retrogaming I enjoy in general is really starting to make me feel like a dinosaur lol I mean u have ppl in their early - mid 20's nowadays who's first console was a PS2 ?

the scariest part is they don't know a PSP by sight....

Edited by power
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

PSP.....if the PSP was a marshmallow and you had just put it in the microwave for 2 minutes. 

I love showing young kids my old gaming systems.   Time is an interesting thing.... I considered myself to be "retrogaming" on my NES in the late 90's, but by that scale, XB360/PS3 would be retrogaming....doesn't seem right.  Retro to me begins at Dreamcast.  But it's all a matter of perspective.

The Lynx is a tank and I take mine on flights and travel with it frequently.  Most people have no idea what it is but every once in a while you get someone who is familiar with them and spark up a good conversation about gaming, Atari, and the way things used to be. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 9:21 AM, Starwander said:

This happened to me recently as well. I was taking my Game Boy Original through security and had it in one of these old plastic cases that look like a giant Game Boy Original. The screener marked the bag for extra inspection because they didn't recognize the batteries and were unsure what they were! This old style case has slots for 8 AA batteries, because these old consoles were battery eaters. I always find it fun to bring it and other older portal consoles on trips with me and play in the airport or airplane. 

Honestly what's that? But I admit, I was never a Gameboy person. I'm only collecting what catches my interests. Do you mean this? 

20190804_104901.jpg

Edited by arcanehacker