IGNORED

ATARI to USB Joystick Adapter

Shift838

I sat down tonight to create a ATARI to USB Joystick adapter to  be used with emulation on the PC.

I used a Arduino Pro Micro since it has USB support.  Custom coded the arduino code and I have tested it on the PC and in MAME emulation with my GEMSTIK.  Works great!

The unit will detect as a Leonardo Gamepad and has 2 joysticks within the configuration.  X,Y Axis and can use up to 2 buttons per joystick.

ATARI2USBAdapterPOC.jpg

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 6

i'm going to sell them.  I need to order some boards, but i need to decide what enclosure I am going to design the board for.

probably be 2 different versions.

• full kit
  • DIY kit (includes PCB, Arduino Pro Micro, components)
    • Add option for Enclosure
  • Like 2

I think I have the board designed, now I need to order a few to test.  I came up with 2 different designs.  The first fits in the standard hammond 1591XXL enclosure (2 inch x 2.25 inch), the other is a more minimal design with no mounting holes and a smaller footprint for cost savings (2 inch x 1.5 inch).  Thoughts on which?

Atari2USBAdapter.png

Atari2USBAdapterV2.png

Edited by Shift838
added photo and additional info
  • Like 2

I got the first batch in and put one together.  works perfectly.

If anyone is going to TI-99/4ATX and wants to purchase one let me know ahead of time and we can do a paypal and i'll bring it with me to save on shipping.

It fits perfectly in a hammond 1591XXL case.

joy2.png

joy1.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Plugged it in to my WinX PC.

Plugged in Atari style joystick that comes with the Retron 77.

Brought c64 forever (Vice based). Some minor config changes for controller (Selecting the correct one)

Ran Castles of Dr. Creep.

Smooth as silk!

Love this, thank you much for making it!

On 7/9/2019 at 5:50 PM, Sinphaltimus said:

I wonder if this would work with something like the c64 mini. do you have instructions and code posted someplace? Or selling per chance?

Since the C64 Mini is based on Linux OS with Vice.  I would think it should work.  Linux will only detect 1 joystick though, unless a small configuration is done.  It's in my manual on how to get both Joysticks ports seen with linux.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
26 minutes ago, bigfriendly said:

Any chance that a version for paddles is coming in the future?

i have another version that I am building (not my design) and I have already built a few of these and they work with paddles.

See HERE

I need to order some more chips to program.  I have all other parts.

On 5/8/2020 at 9:09 PM, R3dd said:

This will work with the TI-99/4A joysticks, or is it only Atari?

so I was able to do some more testing as the thought of using TI joysticks on a PC via USB actually intrigued me.  Yea I know, they are bad as far as joysticks are concerned, but what the hell.

I did determine that my code for this joystick will work as is, but would require a new PCB since this one is designed for Atari wired joysticks.

Now since the TI combined their Joystick #1 and #2 ports into one port is causing an issue.  even though the basic thinking behind the TI joysticks and Atari based joysticks are very similar as directional and fire seem to share the same pin but depending on which joystick you are using will ground itself so that the TI knows which joystick you are using.  That's my understanding anyway.

So with that said, the PC sees both joysticks via the one port they are plugged into but both of the joysticks respond as joystick #1 and Joystick #2.  Creating the Atari2USB adapter was easy since you have one joystick going into each DB9.  whereas the TI is not like that.

• 6 months later...

How much would you be asking for the Arduino code and the pinouts to the joystick connectors?  I'm building a Celeron PC into an 800XL case and want to hook the joystick ports up to the PC.  I already found the code for the keyboard and used an Arduino micro to make it work.  I don't have any Arduino coding skills, but can put something together if I have the code.  

My eventual plan is to show the 800XL off, starting with it in Atari emulator mode playing games and then switch it into Windows 10 mode.  I'm also working on building a small wireless mouse into an old game cartridge.  I'm thinking of making the label on the cartridge either "Mouse House" or "Mouse trap".  I'm retiring in a couple of days and will have plenty of time to work on this.

On 11/23/2020 at 6:36 PM, djglish said:

How much would you be asking for the Arduino code and the pinouts to the joystick connectors?  I'm building a Celeron PC into an 800XL case and want to hook the joystick ports up to the PC.  I already found the code for the keyboard and used an Arduino micro to make it work.  I don't have any Arduino coding skills, but can put something together if I have the code.  

My eventual plan is to show the 800XL off, starting with it in Atari emulator mode playing games and then switch it into Windows 10 mode.  I'm also working on building a small wireless mouse into an old game cartridge.  I'm thinking of making the label on the cartridge either "Mouse House" or "Mouse trap".  I'm retiring in a couple of days and will have plenty of time to work on this.

i carry these in stock at my store HERE

PM me.  I don't think i'm ready to release the code out into the wild, but as far as the pinouts are concerned of how I get it to work  hooked up to my arduino pins based on my code I can supply that and a board with the arduino but no connectors.  You could then wire up your own connectors as you see fit within your case.

• Like 1