IGNORED

New hardware: Mini Super Speedy 1050

tf_hh

Hi all,

just want to announce that I´ve made a new replica for the Atari 1050 diskdrive, it´s

The Mini Super Speedy 1050!

Mini_SuperSpeedy_Top.thumb.jpg.fabc1fdaf1605e18fdcd6e037fdd9e5e.jpg

This is an updated version of my MiniSpeedy 1050 with Super-Speedy functionality. You get all the features from the well-known Mini-Speedy 1050 with the additional feature to copy whole discs in less than 40 seconds (format, write, verify)!

The Super-Speedy includes a 256 KByte buffer which holds the complete single density, enhanced/medium density or double density disc read before. Because the data must not transferred through the bottleneck SIO buss, one complete double density disc will be read in approx 10 seconds or less.

Once loaded into the internal memory, you can create as much copies you want. Maximum time for writing a full double density disk with format and verify is 40 seconds.

The special copy tool for using the Super Speedy function will be booted with open disc lever and the 1050 set as D1: into your Atari computer. Further the computer is only used as a terminal, all read and write accesses will be done by the 1050 itself. Without booting the copy tool, the Super-Speedy acts like any other Speedy 1050, too. It has the firmware V1.7 and runs fine with NTSC, too!

By default (see the red jumper) the Super-Speedy firmware is active. When the jumper is removed, the standard Mini-Speedy V1.7 firmware with HSS copier is active. I patched the HSS copier to english language. Of course it also runs fine with NTSC systems.

HSS_Copy_EN.thumb.jpg.899772b0549674fb7abd98276299ec55.jpg

Find the installation instructions here: http://www.van-radecke.de/MiniSpeedy/MiniSuperSpeedy1050.pdf

I´ve made a little video (made with cell phone, please excuse the quality) copying one double density disc with the Super Speedy: http://www.van-radecke.de/MiniSpeedy/MiniSuperSpeedy_copy_in_action.mp4

When using NTSC, you will see the timer more increasing, the reason is the 60 Hz vertical frequency, which is used for the timer. So real time needed is approx 30-33 seconds for a full double density disc to write (format & verify), but when done with a NTSC system, it will show up to 40 seconds, but uses only 30-33 ?

Mini Super Speedy 1050 is availible in 2-3 weeks. See my linked document in the signature below for more informations!

Jurgen

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Ha!

Exactly what I wanted, when I contacted mega-hz many years ago about the Super-Speedy. But then they came out with the Mega-Speedy, which included Mini-Speedy, Super-Speedy and the possibility of up to a dozen of other emulated drive enhancements (Turbo, Archiver, USD, Happy, IS-Plate, etc.).

For me a Super-Speedy is more than enough and I did not like cutting holes into the drive bezel for the Mega-Speedy (its rotating switch and track lcd). But since then, I already bought four Mini-Speedy's and built them in into four 1050 drives and so now I am thinking if I should replace them with your brandnew Super-Mini-Speedy...

• Like 1

Hi,

Can you upload code to the 256k, I'm assuming it's a 6502 CPU, with some sort of bank switching? Am interested in the technical spec., given that the Mega speedy is probably never going to be produced again, a programmable mini super speedy may be the closest thing going!

• Like 2

On 7/7/2019 at 11:32 PM, E474 said:

Can you upload code to the 256k, I'm assuming it's a 6502 CPU, with some sort of bank switching? Am interested in the technical spec., given that the Mega speedy is probably never going to be produced again, a programmable mini super speedy may be the closest thing going!

Yes, this is possible. The 256 KByte disc buffer is mapped in 32 banks with 8 KByte each. Of course you could put 65C02 code there and let it run. The Speedy systems uses the 65C02 CPU, this is the CMOS enhanced 6502 with some new commands. Most Atari 8-Bit compilers/assemblers supports creating code for this CPU, too.

Here´s the memory map:

$8000-$9FFF    Banked 256 KByte disc buffer, 32 banks with 8 KB each
$A000-$BFFF    Standard 8 KB trackbuffer as found in all Speedy versions
$C000-$DFFF    Dependent on firmware: SuperSpeedy copy tool or HSS copier (booted into computer)
$E000-$FFFF    Speedy base firmware

Change of bank: Write bank-number 0 to 31 to any address between $6000 and $7FFF. The area between $4000-$5FFF is used for track display and density display (supported not by all firmware versions of the speedy). Also the beeper is accessed in this area. All addresses below $4000 are routed to the 1050 mainboard to access FDC, RIOT etc.

Attention: My solution allows the usage of 32 banks (=256 KB), the genuine Super Speedy uses six SRAMs with 32 KB each giving a total of 192 KB only.

Jurgen

• Like 2

Hi,

Thanks very much for the reply, this sounds like a great upgrade! Is there a typo in the address ranges for bank select and track display, as there is some overlap in the memory ranges given?

12 hours ago, E474 said:

Thanks very much for the reply, this sounds like a great upgrade! Is there a typo in the address ranges for bank select and track display, as there is some overlap in the memory ranges given?

Yes, this was a typo - corrected! Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

This is great news!!! I have sent you ( @tf_hh ) an email.

I remember using the original super speedy in the nineties. We (ANG Software) used to spend many nights to copy hundreds of disks, with the super speedy we got our nights back ? This speedy is so incredibly fast, that we copied our games at shows almost litterally on demand ? 

• Like 4

On 7/28/2019 at 4:35 PM, tf_hh said:

Hi all,

the Mini-Super-Speedy 1050 is now available. Also I´ve refilled the stock of Super Colour CPU cards and the Atari 400 RAM card.

Find all infos as usual in my info-PDF.

Thanks and best regards, Jurgen

Ordered or better money sent via PayPal...

after 30 years my first speedy ;)

• Like 3

Ok. Took me noob 10 minutes to build in. Formated Disk etc.

what makes me wonder... I have spartados X on cart and I did not manage to use highspeed or even copy files to drive but under mydos it worked.

now I never was a Sparta or dos expert so how is best to use the speedy now?

as the drives formats and copy files I assume it works?

but under Sparta i had error 139 and strange loading sounds while copy files?

and i might remember that when booting with open drive it would

load something from drive (bibo dos etc?)

Hi,

This is an easy install!

I didn't take any pictures of the CPU and EPROM removed (see the ones I did take, below), but removing these chips is quite easy to do (I put the original chips into the strip of foam that went over the Speedy's pins, and then into the supplied anti-static bags, so they are safe and sound).

The 4 capacitors were quite easy to desolder/remove, but didn't survive the procedure.

The built in copier (boot Atari with 1050 drive door open to get it to load) is a sector copier, not a track copier (that is, it doesn't copy protected disks). On the other hand, I have never seen a floppy on any format 8-bit/PC/etc. get copied so fast. I noticed one minor bug with the built in copier - if you try to copy a protected disk - you get an error, but the English text messes up the margins, so I guess there is a character string length issue. On the other hand, it's not really a problem at all.

I tried the track copier on the Speedy system disk, and it did a 2 pass copy of Mercenary (single density protected disk) at high/ultra speed (not sure of how fast, but it was fast) successfully. I don't know what other utilities there are for the Speedy, e.g. custom track formatter, Happy Backup Pre Defined Backups etc., and I don't know what the Speedy is actually capable of - presumably most things apart from stuff that only a BitWriter can do. Does anyone know of any programming info? Can you get it to emulate The Chip, or similar, so you can run the Archiver/Editor software?

The Mini Speedy passed the ROM/RAM tests OK, and could be set back to stock 1050 mode with a utility on the disk. I had a look at the BiboDOS disk, but didn't do anything with it apart from check it booted OK, as my German is minimal. The drive worked fine with MyDOS, which is what I am using most at the moment. I haven't tried it with Hias' high-speed SIO patched OS yet, but I am guessing it should work fine.

Nice!

unpacked.jpg

pin side.jpg

installed.jpg

capacitors.jpg

capacitors removed.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...