IGNORED

800XL with several bad ICs

I just started troubleshooting a nonworking 800XL and started with memory chips. All of the memory chips were bad, the MMU was bad, and the BASIC and ROM were also bad. Before I replace a bunch of chips I would like to know if there is a likely cause for all of those chips being bad. I would hate to fry another set because I didn't know enough to check for a likely cause.

I have another 800XL motherboard that I have tested every IC on the board and they are all good but the computer boots to a blank blue screen. If I boot with a Star Raiders cart it sometimes makes some static like noise and then the screen goes completely black.  I plan to eventually start checking voltages on pins but that is a job for a bad weather day or something.

The strange IC with half the expected # of legs would be the delay line.  Used on earlier machines (before Freddie) for the Ras to Cas memory select delay.

A blank blue screen then locks up is at least some function which means the CPU is probably good and the OS, Antic and GTIA are probably OK too.

21 hours ago, hueyjones70 said:

I have another 800XL motherboard that I have tested every IC on the board and they are all good but the computer boots to a blank blue screen. If I boot with a Star Raiders cart it sometimes makes some static like noise and then the screen goes completely black.  I plan to eventually start checking voltages on pins but that is a job for a bad weather day or something. 

Sounds like a POKEY issue to me. Do you hear the farting sound? Maybe the socket is bad, since you said you tested the chip...??  Be sure you are using a known good power supply.

• 6 months later...

Yesterday I was troubleshooting an 800XL MB that gives nothing but a black screen. While I was checking memory chips, my test board suddenly went the way of the bad MB and gave nothing but a black screen even with its original supposedly good chip set.  Today when I turned it on I still got the black screen but it was making a noise like a screeching sound.  It will boot Star Raiders but nothing else and it still makes the screeching sound mixed with the sound that Star Raiders usually makes.  I tried swapping our the ROM and BASIC but I haven't had time to recheck all of the ICs.  What besides the ICs would be a good thing to check.

• 3 weeks later...

Going to add to this thread, because it is a same type issue.

I have a good HK socketed 800xl that I use to test others. I am trying to fix a couple of 800xls for friends one is a Taiwan solded board and the other seems like a very early HK revision C  as you can see by the picture the ram sockets were dont this way to accommodate the factory mod.

So both the HK rev C and the revD Taiwan I have black screen. The HK rec C was Super hot ram.. and when I put them 1 by 1 in the HK tester.. it failed to boot.. but 8 bad ram??? Notice the HK tester does not have the resistors on the ram.

The Taiwan board ram is cool, I have swapped IC chips.. no change.. any suggestions??

James

revDTaiwan.jpg

revcHK.jpg

HKtester.jpg

revcHKbk.jpg

Top PCB is MT RAM, I can see them all being bad certainly.  OR, a power surge / wrong power supply could have fried them and other chips in the machine.

Bottom PCB, there's a pin with zero solder on it (top row, rightmost pin, under the E.T).

So the MT ram.. is soldered on.. I guess the only way to determine if its good or not it to remove it. and put sockets in. I will see if the owner wants to do that.

The ram that is in the HK board.. this is the one with the factory "mod" of the resistor and the bottom pic with the drill holes breaking the original trace.. I will check that for missing or cold, etc..  

Both machines do trigger a signal to the TV.. though black screen.. I use IPA .. do people find this Deoxit better??

Thanks

James

8 hours ago, Bikerbob said:

I guess the only way to determine if its good or not it to remove it. and put sockets in. I will see if the owner wants to do that.

Do you have an oscilloscope or at least a logic probe? If so, you can check the data and address bus lines on the chips to see if they’re responding properly or not. That won’t necessarily be definitive but it might help narrow things down.