IGNORED

SIO Pin Pitch

toddtmw

Hi. I've googled, I've measured, I've even used the 3-d models for the plugs, but I cannot find a definitive answer. I've seen people say things like read the sio spec, etc.

I'm trying to figure out the pin pitch for the SIO port.

Looking at the 3-d printed SIO plug, it looks like it is about 3.65 mm or maybe 1/7 inch (Which is closer to 3.60 mm, but when I use that, it doesn't seem to line up on the plug).

Anyway. Can someone tell me definitively, what pitch the pins are? Bonus points if you know where I can get pins that are already in a header with that pitch.

I looked on Digikey and it appears they go from 3.5 to 3.5 to 3.81 mm. Skipping 3.6 and 3.65 altogether.

Thank you for any advice anyone can share! (I promise whatever comes from this, if I am successful) will be shared back to all under CC. :)

-Todd

17 minutes ago, toddtmw said:

Hi. I've googled, I've measured, I've even used the 3-d models for the plugs, but I cannot find a definitive answer. I've seen people say things like read the sio spec, etc.

I'm trying to figure out the pin pitch for the SIO port.

Looking at the 3-d printed SIO plug, it looks like it is about 3.65 mm or maybe 1/7 inch (Which is closer to 3.60 mm, but when I use that, it doesn't seem to line up on the plug).

Anyway. Can someone tell me definitively, what pitch the pins are? Bonus points if you know where I can get pins that are already in a header with that pitch.

I looked on Digikey and it appears they go from 3.5 to 3.5 to 3.81 mm. Skipping 3.6 and 3.65 altogether.

Thank you for any advice anyone can share! (I promise whatever comes from this, if I am successful) will be shared back to all under CC. :)

-Todd

It might help if you explained what you're trying to do. :)

The SIO plug was - at one time - a stock Molex part (I used a Molex-branded SIO cable for my SDrive-MAX build last summer). Others have in recent years started 3D-printing new SIO cables with female ends. Still others like Mytek have produced modern-design motherboards that accommodate vintage SIO male jacks as used on Atari computers and disk drives. 

So basically what I'm trying to say is, this should be a solved problem. 

I'm trying to design a 3-d printed SIO port (with the pins, I guess that is male, even though the plug with the holes go into it? I feel like I'm in 6th grade sex-ed all over again, except without the uncomfortable gym teacher...)

I was thinking that I'd rather put one (or maybe 2) of those on my SDM case and use standard SIO cables to connect it.

I have the actual 3-D model done, and I can actually take the part with the holes and cut out the sides and slip it over an SIO port and the pins go through the holes.

I just don't know where to get the pins to put into the holes to complete the port.

So you’re trying to recreate the male SIO port (the part with the pins), as used on Atari computers and disk drives?  So far as I know, no one has yet started making and selling replacements for those, though I’m sure it’s do-able. The plastic shell is not the hard part. As you’ve already figured out, the hard part are the 13 pins inside that plastic housing all of the correct gauge, all precisely bent at 90 degree angles to mate to the mounting footprints on a PCB ... That part is tough.

However, for a modern device you could side-step that issue. Use straight-through copper pins and solder or otherwise attach wires to the correct pins, and use the through-holes in the SIO jack housings to attach the connector to the board.

The SIO connector is similar to multiple coaxial connectors integrated together.

The outside of the coaxial plug is male but it also has a female socket in the center, while the corresponding coaxial jack is female with a male pin in the center.

Edited by BillC

The crimps required for the SIO plug are Molex, KK396 which have a standard pitch of ... wait for it... 3.96mm

This page (taken from the specs) looks to be pretty useful!

SIOSPECS.thumb.jpg.f9c2b09c4db02e5afd99df55a0443439.jpg

104374549_Screenshot2019-07-08at06_47_34.thumb.jpg.b549d52f833b3d80d59fb52a8947fd95.jpg

Edited by Mr Robot
Added Maths
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Robot said:

The crimps required for the SIO plug are Molex, KK396 which have a standard pitch of ... wait for it... 3.96mm

This page (taken from the specs) looks to be pretty useful!

SIOSPECS.thumb.jpg.f9c2b09c4db02e5afd99df55a0443439.jpg

104374549_Screenshot2019-07-08at06_47_34.thumb.jpg.b549d52f833b3d80d59fb52a8947fd95.jpg

I said I didn’t see it, not that it wasn’t there. ?

this is awesome. Thank you. 

Well obviously the engineering drawing is the correct one. 140 mil pitch, 40 mil ⌀ pins with 25 mil square tails.

The 3.96 crimps are not 3.96mm wide, they fit Molex's 3.96mm (155mils) pitch connectors but the crimp is smaller to allow for the connector to have some plastic and air around it. We are lucky that they fit into the SIO plug as well (less air).

as @DrVenkman says, the tricky bit is finding the correct 90° pins.

Lotharek gets around the problem by only using straight pins and a simple cutout for the shell. 

SPLITTERB.jpg.7c2e10dde518307a5aea9db84688f8f8.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

I use KK 3.96 crimps (just to be clear, I use them in the female 3D printed SIO connectors that I make for non-commercial use). I find that they can be a little wide, but make them narrower by squeezing them with a pair of pliers. Gavin1968 (?) has posted a part number for them on another thread (am on phone, so not going to search for the link). Searching eBay for KK 3.96 crimp connector will usually list someone selling a hundred or so for a fairly low price. You also need a crimp connector tool, such as an sn-28b, which you can Google shop for some listings for.

I'm beginning to wonder if the 8-bit forum needs a sub-forum for homebrew hardware.

Hope this helps.

Several posts had to be removed in this thread due to the disgusting and intolerant views posted by two members who decided to attack gender issues as they relate to people versus connectors.  There's no place for that on AtariAge, and I don't want to see it again.

..Al

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

typ = typical

typ is used to describe one of a thing and imply that all the other same things are the same, so they give dimensions for one pitch and say typ so they don't have to give the dimensions for every pitch.

Edited by Mr Robot
Clarity over Brevity
  • Like 1

Thank you kind sir, only built a couple of PCB's in my life with the old etch resist pen etc and they were dead simple (think they were auto fire units for the Atari (inline))

Things like blue prints just confuse me, so much info..Ta for that info..Keeps the brain cells ticking..

Paul..

1 hour ago, E474 said:

Hi,

I use KK 3.96 crimps (just to be clear, I use them in the female 3D printed SIO connectors that I make for non-commercial use). I find that they can be a little wide, but make them narrower by squeezing them with a pair of pliers. Gavin1968 (?) has posted a part number for them on another thread (am on phone, so not going to search for the link). Searching eBay for KK 3.96 crimp connector will usually list someone selling a hundred or so for a fairly low price. You also need a crimp connector tool, such as an sn-28b, which you can Google shop for some listings for.

I'm beginning to wonder if the 8-bit forum needs a sub-forum for homebrew hardware.

Hope this helps.

These are the ones I have used for hundreds of SIO plugs I have made, https://www.alliedelec.com/product/molex-incorporated/08-50-0105/70385386/ but that isn't the side he is looking for.  :)

51 minutes ago, Gavin1968 said:

These are the ones I have used for hundreds of SIO plugs I have made, https://www.alliedelec.com/product/molex-incorporated/08-50-0105/70385386/ but that isn't the side he is looking for.  :)

Actually, those are genderless pins ;)  They don't "receive" anything inside (female) and don't "put" something inside (male). They just rub against something  :D

Well, strictly speaking they are not 100% genderless because they don't pair with identical pins, but with male pins in this case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_of_connectors_and_fasteners#Genderless_(hermaphroditic)