IGNORED

"unknown tank game"- is this rom available?

chewy

It is safe, but not released yet, owner wants to make a small run of carts, before releasing the ROM.  Real life gets in the way of things like these and they are not important, since they were thought to be lost forever.  We have another few other things, sitting in the vault. ;)

• Like 1

I've spent - and spend - a good amount of time reading (and re-reading) AtariProtos.com, and I gotta say this is one of the entries I'm most intrigued by. The funny thing is I don't even really care about playing the game; it's the mysterious background of it that I find captivating.

To me, at first the swastika enemies seem like placeholder graphics not actually meant for a finished game, but then the "Jim's Toy" logo seems to point more towards a personal "spare time" project, in which case anything could go.

Whether it's an early version of Tank Blitz, some other game entirely, or just "Jim" programming something in his spare time, definitely an interesting proto!

Edited by King Atari

• 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Update

@chewy  Are you still around?  Tank Blitz (proto) is available at Atarimania.  

You were right.  It's a fun game!  I played it a little tonight.  

image.gif.389933e59685b9f40379517c83fc039b.gif

Don't touch the small brown areas.  They'll kill you.

The water and the gray areas you can drive over and they provide cover against enemy fire.

image.jpeg.9fce658d812f3d81a559c31dd4274f86.jpeg

Don't drive over the mines, they'll kill you, of course.  

When you get to the river, you can cross, but slowly, so beware of enemy fire.  

Kind of unfair when new enemy tanks appear at the top and shoot at you right away.  

Maybe they would have fixed that in the final version?  

It's tough!  I had to cheat on Stella using F9/F11 (save/load game states).

You only get one life.  If you die, pull back on the joystick to start a new game.  

There doesn't seem to be any way to get more fuel.  Had 35 hits when my fuel ran out.

It's a good game!  Even incomplete, you still can have fun playing it.  

I'm glad you asked about the availability of this game, otherwise, I wouldn't have played it tonight.  

Edited by Living Room Arcade
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Living Room Arcade said:

You only get one life.  If you die, pull back on the joystick to start a new game.  

There doesn't seem to be any way to get more fuel.  Had 35 hits when my fuel ran out.

If you set your tank on top of one of the orange squares, it will refuel your tank.

• Thanks 1