IGNORED

LiteDOS 2.05 now available

mr-atari

Just a small note here on AtariAge.

Version 2.05 is now available for download.
Some bugs fixed in DUP (Rename and Dir) and LiteINIT (unusable sectors 4-15 on MD).
Thanks for the feedback.

=Happy birthday to LiteDOS=

SMALL: uses only 2k RAM, 4k more free memory, even 8k more when using Turbo Basic !
EFFICIENT: 1016 FreeSectors on a MD disk or 700 FreeSectors on a SD disk !
FAST: boots in 2-3 seconds.
SIMPLE: load/copy files wasn't this easy.
COMPATIBLE: reads Atari DOS 2.0 2.5 MyDOS and other compatible disks.
The file-format of a LiteDOS-disk is readable by DOS 2.0/2.5/MyDOS and clones.

http://www.mr-atari.com/Mr.Atari/LiteDOS/

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Yes, I asked but got a denial, for now.

For example, Atarimax APE let me see the files, very handy.

It's basically a standard DOS file system, where the DOS-ID has a negative value to mark it as "LiteDOS" formatted.

Reading files from it is also standard DOS practice.

The big difference is saving, I use clusters and the bitmap reflects clusters and not single sectors.

And ridiculous small in it's RAM usage ?

Grtz,

Sijmen.

• Like 1

Perhaps the current owner of "MakeATR" can do/add this to his software.

Don't recall anymore if I asked him already, sorry.

I stick to 6502 programming....

Perhaps Phareon will reconsider adding LiteDOS this to the disk explorer of Altirra.

Grtz,

Sijmen.

• Like 1

@ Sijmen,  could you provide some ATR's of the various sizes that LiteInit creates?

I think I found a bug when choosing the [O]ther option,  when I specify the Sector Count as 16384, the Total Sectors and Free Sectors saved in the VTOC reflect a Total Sector Count of 65535...

Thanks,

Jay

I just tried the LiteINIT 2.05

And created all the formats from SD up to 720k (real disks) and Others (partitions) from 2048 to 65536 sectors.

Looked at the VTOC-bytes generated at page 4 and all look OK.

This is the table I use (code):

SIZES	.BYTE	"SMDX7"			;LETTER
	.BYTE	$2,$3,$2,$5,$B		;SEC-HI
	.BYTE	$D0,$FF,$D0,$A0,$40	;SEC-LO
	.BYTE	3,3,7,7,7		;DEFAULT CLUSTER
	.BYTE	7,0,15,23,31		;PERCOM-BLOCK, 0=NONE

DSIZE	.BYTE	"631842"		;PARTITION-SIZES
	.BYTE	127,63,63,31,15,7	;DEFAULT CLUSTER 510,504,504,240,120,56

The percom-number is an offset what Percom-block I need to send to the device.

Number of sectors for Other sizes, start at $07FF for "2k" and rotated LEFT upto $FFFF for "64k"

I attached the "2k" generated VTOC-data.

Seems OK to me.

Perhaps something I overlook?

Can you re-download the V205 from my homepage, perhaps something screwed-up there.

Grtz,

Sijmen.

2k.png

imagerdd.atr

Downloaded again and the problem still exists.  I'm using Altirra to create a blank 720 sector DD image and formatting with LiteINIT 2.05 with the Other option.  When I try formatting a DD, XF or 720k image, I'm still getting the "Bad or No LiteDOS Disk/IO-Error" message.

Could you please post ATR's of MD, DD, XF, 720k, 1440 Sector and 16384 Sector images so I can duplicate those correctly :)

Thanks,

Jay

Edited by AtariGeezer

so it's alright on timing but not so much on the mechanics of the physical, logical drive capabilities possibly...  did Mr. Atari provide an ATR of each density and mode yet? And do you still have physical hardware to work?

Edited by _The Doctor__

On 7/12/2019 at 10:18 PM, AtariGeezer said:

imagerdd.atr 179.64 kB · 1 download

Downloaded again and the problem still exists.  I'm using Altirra to create a blank 720 sector DD image and formatting with LiteINIT 2.05 with the Other option.  When I try formatting a DD, XF or 720k image, I'm still getting the "Bad or No LiteDOS Disk/IO-Error" message.

Could you please post ATR's of MD, DD, XF, 720k, 1440 Sector and 16384 Sector images so I can duplicate those correctly :)

Thanks,

Jay

It still works for me, in Altirra, strange.

Your selected drive is enhanced? Thus it accepts percom commands?

"Other" only works on partitions, readable sectors must be present.

Same check goes for "Update" and let me think, if the disk is unformatted, you won't get the question "new" or "update".

You need to select DD, that is the correct way to format a new disk in DD with a percom-compatible drive.

But anyway, I will create the images after this message, zip and upload them.

Later. ?

Ok, here you are, all possible ATR's created with LiteINIT (14/7 update).

You made me find a little typo in sending the incorrect percom-block for 720k disks.

All other formats were 100%

So I updated my homepage with the new zip-file.

Thanks ?

Altirra is picky in setting the absolute correct drive settings, if it send back any error due to incorrectly set configuration, you get the message "Bad or No LiteDOS Disk/IO-Error".

Here is the zip file.

Please note that on larger disks, the VTOC and directory wrap inside the cluster.

VTOC always starts at sector 360 though.

Example:

In the 65535.ATR VTOC starts at 360, then the directory entries start at 361 goes up to 383, wraps to 256 and goes up to 359.

V205 ALL POSSIBLE ATR.zip

Edited by mr-atari
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, mr-atari said:

Altirra is picky in setting the absolute correct drive settings, if it send back any error due to incorrectly set configuration, you get the message "Bad or No LiteDOS Disk/IO-Error".

TIL that not allowing a floppy disk with 0 tracks, 0 sectors, more than two sides, larger than 32MB, or a sector size other than 128/256/512/8192 bytes is being "picky."

By the way, LiteINIT is also unilaterally setting the PERCOM block without reading it from the drive first, so it is enforcing a seek rate of 1 for drives that use that field, regardless of the drive's normal seek rate.

• Like 3

Ok, time for a update, version 2.06 is now online.

I saw a youtube video of a happy LiteDOS user and watched him type ENTER"D:PROG.LST" while still in DUP.

Effectively erasing his file, since the "command" starts with "E" and the filename is decoded after ":"
?

We surely do not want this to happen.

Potentially any user-input starting with a valid command-letter could give undesired results or mayhem...

I had some bytes left, so I added the check that the second character after the command must be <space> or <valid drive-id>.
Fixing this issue.

Later!

• Like 4