IGNORED

"Relax" By Synapse - What Is This?

zombi

Hello everyone.

I'm typically a more modern game collector, but I came across a very unique lot yesterday and I figured I'd share it. The most notable thing from the bunch is this "Relax" Stress Reduction system that was part of it.

It seems the last thread here relating to this device is about 7 years old and there isn't a lot of info contained within it. Elsewhere, I just find the 1985 review of the thing - https://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue60/185_1_REVIEWS_Relax_Stress_Reduction_System.php

Do anyone have any information on this device? Does it work? Is it worth keeping in my collection?

Pictures below...

qxqD88t.jpg

O5yEFwY.jpg

2RvLhPo.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I have one of these. It works but it is more of a novelty than a practical device.  I like odd interfaces for my Atari computer so for that reason I keep it. Complete in box is a rarity. I have seen 3 or 4 come up on eBay this year but none where complete. I cant tell from the pictures if the "Relax Stress Reduction System" book is there. It is a spiral bound book. The cassettes are the equivalent to ASMR today. This is also odd in that it included the software and interface to be used on The Atari, Apple, Commodore, and IBM right out of the box. attached is a review of the Relax System.

Synapse Relax Review.pdf

Edited by jcbstein
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, jhd said:

Was there any connection to the Mindlink for the 2600? They seem almost identical in terms of function. 

Similar idea I think.  They both detect when your face twitches.  The Mindlink was more for action games while the Relax unit was for relaxation type games.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2019 at 3:33 PM, Tempest said:

Similar idea I think.  They both detect when your face twitches.  The Mindlink was more for action games while the Relax unit was for relaxation type games.

Don't they work differently from each other? I think the Relax unit functions like Atari 2600 paddle controllers, while the Mindlink is proprietary.

That reminds me when I was making my own mindlink for Amiga. It used operational amplifiers, with +12 and -12 V from the Amiga.

Since then I know, that when you apply what's basically 24V difference over moist electrodes to your forehead, you will see nice flashes. Without pain or any sensation at all on the skin itself !

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2019 at 2:48 PM, R0ger said:

That reminds me when I was making my own mindlink for Amiga. It used operational amplifiers, with +12 and -12 V from the Amiga.

Since then I know, that when you apply what's basically 24V difference over moist electrodes to your forehead, you will see nice flashes. Without pain or any sensation at all on the skin itself !

Its still a good idea in modern gaming. You should pick the idea back up. With modern processors the brain data can be more sophisticated to a point that there is more abulity then moving left or right or an single action button.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...