IGNORED

Best Electronics 7800 Joypad Upgrade Kit?

7800 2

Copied from website: 

The New 2019 Best CX78 JoyPad controller Upgrade / Rebuild Kit.  Includes the Best designed New 2019 Upgraded / Longer / Beefed up CX78 cable, two New stronger FR4 Glass Epoxy Gold plated CX78 PCB boards, New Gold plated 6 mm dot X / Y and two Fire buttons with Gold plated 6 mm dot upgraded Silicon pads all with New tactical feed back functions, 6 new Phillips Stainless Steel screws.  The New Best CX78 Cable is already soldered onto the 2 new stronger PCB boards, making this CX78 upgrade kit, a solder less type of installation.  All that required to install this CX78 upgrade kit, is a small Philips screwdriver to take apart the stock CX78 JoyPad, Drill with a small drill bit (or a rat tail round file or easy out hole opener), small diagonal cutters and a small Phillips screwdriver to put it back together. Complete Best CX78 Upgrade instructions included.  CB103168  $36.95

Got a 7800 recently and the joypad I got doesn't go up or down. Need to test cable.

Bought another one which works fine though. Having spent over $100+ earlier this year fixing some cx-40s with new parts won't rush to fix this unfortunately.

Edited by mksmith

On 7/9/2019 at 10:33 PM, Jinks said:

The 4 I have which are new. I have used only 1 of those and in about 10 hours of gameplay the gold has been rubbing off the top of the controller. 

If you mean the silver paint on the atari logo, I agree it's paper thin and wears off super fast.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought two Joypads from Best Electronics back in 1995 and they still work fine.  I went ahead and ordered 2 of these gold upgrades though and installed one of them a few days ago.  The upgrade works fine, but it's not as much of a difference as I expected.  The buttons are a little more clicky (which is nice), but the joypad doesn't feel much different.  I haven't spent much time with it to test diagonals and such against the original yet, but I may get some time this weekend to compare the two.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KevinMos3 said:

I bought two Joypads from Best Electronics back in 1995 and they still work fine.  I went ahead and ordered 2 of these gold upgrades though and installed one of them a few days ago.  The upgrade works fine, but it's not as much of a difference as I expected.  The buttons are a little more clicky (which is nice), but the joypad doesn't feel much different.  I haven't spent much time with it to test diagonals and such against the original yet, but I may get some time this weekend to compare the two.

I was thinking the same thing. I almost thought that one would barely be able to tell the difference if at all between the new gold ones and a new old stock one when side by side. I have not tried them enough when playing games yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

I have 4 of the regular ones and only have used 1 of them...They're not perfect, but I like them...Been using my Edladdin controller and occasionally my converted NES style so much lately...I think $59 sounds high...And I so want one!!  ?

Are you thinking of getting a pre-assembled joypad?  Because as jeremiaht said, it's $36.95 for the entire kit.  That includes the cord because the cord is already soldered to the boards.  All you use of the original controller is the shell, D-pad, and buttons.  The longer cord that's part of it is really nice too.  The original cord was way too short.

I'm not going to install the 2nd kit I bought, at least for a while.  I like being able to compare the 2, and I'll probably just keep the 2nd kit as a backup in case the original controller eventually needs it.

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, KevinMos3 said:

Are you thinking of getting a pre-assembled joypad?  Because as jeremiaht said, it's $36.95 for the entire kit.  That includes the cord because the cord is already soldered to the boards.  All you use of the original controller is the shell, D-pad, and buttons.  The longer cord that's part of it is really nice too.  The original cord was way too short.

I'm not going to install the 2nd kit I bought, at least for a while.  I like being able to compare the 2, and I'll probably just keep the 2nd kit as a backup in case the original controller eventually needs it.

If I were to get one, I'd prefer the pre-assembled kit...But really, I can't afford it right now...Maybe later :)

• 1 month later...

Would anyone know if there is a flat domestic shipping charge for Best to mail two upgraded CX78s?  (The ones he's selling for $59.95 each.)  Having never ordered from Brad before and based on some other threads I've seen, I kind of what to be sure I phrase my order correctly but - unfortunately - I can't make heads or tails out of that website.  :)

11 minutes ago, rennervision said:

Would anyone know if there is a flat domestic shipping charge for Best to mail two upgraded CX78s?  (The ones he's selling for $59.95 each.)  Having never ordered from Brad before and based on some other threads I've seen, I kind of what to be sure I phrase my order correctly but - unfortunately - I can't make heads or tails out of that website.  :)

Shipping charge likely depends on your location. But shoot Brad a quick email inquiry stating what you would like to purchase and he'll respond within 24 hours with whether or not he has inventory and will get you a shipping quote at that time, too. Then you can complete your order via PayPal, etc. Ordering is not nearly as difficult as some make it out to be!

• 8 months later...