IGNORED

Boulder Dash for 2600 on eBay...

sixersfan105

Already at $203.50 with 5+ days left in the auction. @Albert you should find a way to bring back Boulder Dash to help limit stuff like this from happening! Also, did AA used to shrink wrap games? The seller references the "original polyurethane shrink wrap" still being on the box. 

Needless to say, I will not be one of the suckers purchasing this game on eBay! I'm more than content with my copy from Video61 that I got a couple years back. 

Here's the link to the auction for anyone curious:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F113807106436

Just now, sixersfan105 said:

Already at $203.50 with 5+ days left in the auction. @Albert you should find a way to bring back Boulder Dash to help limit stuff like this from happening! Also, did AA used to shrink wrap games? The seller references the "original polyurethane shrink wrap" still being on the box.

I have never shrunk wrap any games, so if that box had shrinkwrap, someone else added it.  The game pictured in the auction does appear to have the thick, plastic bag that I use to help protect games, though.

As fora  re-release, it's being discussed and is a realistic possibility.  The game itself will be the same, but the packaging would be completely new. 

Just now, sixersfan105 said:

Needless to say, I will not be one of the suckers purchasing this game on eBay! I'm more than content with my copy from Video61 that I got a couple years back. 

That's interesting, I assume that was an original copy?

..Al

• Like 1

Yeah that's what I thought on the shrink wrap front. Right, I see that it's in the bag, but it's kind of sad to call a bag shrink wrap (if, in fact, that's what the seller is doing).

That's nice to hear about a new run of Boulder Dash possibly being in the works!

Ah my apologies, I forgot to specify - I picked up Boulder Dash from Lance for Atari 8-bit. 

20 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

Yeah that's what I thought on the shrink wrap front. Right, I see that it's in the bag, but it's kind of sad to call a bag shrink wrap (if, in fact, that's what the seller is doing).

Yeah, if the seller is calling the bag "shrinkwrap", it could be an attempt to make it sound like the game hasn't been opened.  The bag alone would not prevent this from happening.

20 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

Ah my apologies, I forgot to specify - I picked up Boulder Dash from Lance for Atari 8-bit. 

That makes more sense, thanks for the clarification.

..Al

1 minute ago, SIO2 said:

Strange the seller would list a valuable item like this on an account with only 6 feedback all as buyer and 5 of those more than a year old.

At least the account is nearly five years old.  I wouldn't read too much into that.

..Al

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Albert said:

As fora  re-release, it's being discussed and is a realistic possibility.  The game itself will be the same, but the packaging would be completely new. 

Mmh. So much for secret projects!
Actually, I wouldn't be comfortable with the above. Any release would have binary differences from the original. Modifications to the title screen for example would need to show the new IP owner, not FSS. But also I'd be looking to make some changes regarding other stuff. Colours, maybe. Fix the lookaround so your points don't count down at half-speed... that was a mistake.  Mumble mumble easter egg level mumble mumble. So any "re-release" would actually be different to the original.

Edited by Andrew Davie
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, SIO2 said:

Strange the seller would list a valuable item like this on an account with only 6 feedback all as buyer and 5 of those more than a year old.

Maybe they're using a secondary account because they're here on AA and don't want to own up the fact that they're selling it for BANK!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

Any release would have binary differences from the original. Modifications to the title screen for example would need to show the new IP owner, not FSS. But also I'd be looking to make some changes regarding other stuff. Colours, maybe. Fix the lookaround so your points don't count down at half-speed... that was a mistake.  So any "re-release" would actually be different to the original.

Good points, I generally meant that the game itself would not be significantly altered.

..Al

2 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

Maybe they're using a secondary account because they're here on AA and don't want to own up the fact that they're selling it for BANK!

I can't fault someone for selling a copy of the game.  There could be many reasons someone would do so.  Maybe they need the cash.  Perhaps they no longer have interest in classic gaming and are selling items from their collection.  Maybe they don't like the game.  The original owner could have died and a relative is selling off their items.  And so forth.  That's not really our concern, as long as they are accurately representing the item they are selling and follow through with the sale once purchased.

The bidding started at $150 and two bidders have run it over $200 thus far.  That shows there is at least some demand for the game.

..Al

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Fair points, I suppose. I'm never a fan of people selling homebrews but I realize that not everyone will share my opinion.

Definitely agree about the accurate representation of the item being sold, which clearly this seller is not doing, with the whole shrink wrap situation (whether intentionally or otherwise) and with phrases like "This may be the only copy still in existence in this condition." in the description on eBay. 

3 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

Fair points, I suppose. I'm never a fan of people selling homebrews but I realize that not everyone will share my opinion.

Definitely agree about the accurate representation of the item being sold, which clearly this seller is not doing, with the whole shrink wrap situation (whether intentionally or otherwise) and with phrases like "This may be the only copy still in existence in this condition." in the description on eBay. 

From what I can tell, probably 80% of Boulder Dash remain in near-pristine condition!  People too afraid to damage their "valuable heirloom" instead of playing it and getting it grubby, as is meant to happen. I suspect the limited-edition nature and the high (for the time) price is the reason for this. But my point being, I think there are far more excellent-condition Boulder Dash's out there than the seller thinks.

• Like 4

I have two that I've never opened and one playing copy. I was lucky to come across the two relatively cheap. I always thought that 200.00 was the ceiling for Boulder Dash. I'm curious to see where this goes. 

I'm only for a re-release of Boulder Dash as long as Pink Panther gets a re-release. I want a cart of Pink Panther super bad, but 100.00 super bad, not 500.00 - 600.00 super bad!

• Like 2

Okay, so I'm slow.  But I'm also surprised they decided to sell now ("now" being January of 2018, obviously) after having held onto their works for so long.  That's about as surprising as Whataburger selling to a Chicago investment firm after being a family company for over half a century.

Well I paid between $200 - $300 for mine in a “auction” here in the forums last October to someone who was getting out of the hobby. There are some buyers out there with very deep pockets dropping $1500 for Up N Down in box WITHOUT a manual. I could see this one hitting $300 if one of those 2 heavy hitters are going for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
Just now, Andrew Davie said:

Still worth every cent. LOL.  People were bitching big time at the $75 price tag when new.

Oh I know. I wasn't around back then, but I have read through thread. I paid more then original retail for mine, but I am happy to have it.

I don't find the time to play it as often as I would like, but I am happy to have it. You did an amazing job. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1