IGNORED

Is There a Way I Can Play a Game I Bought on Steam Without Using the Steam App?

I bought a game from steam (via steam key) and I tried to play it through the steam app and all I got was the steamui.dll error and it seems i can't play the game through the steam website. Is there another way of playing steam games or am i screwed? My OS is windows xp if you're wondering.

Assuming the game is already installed, you can try running the game from the Steamapps folder. You will need to locate the folder on the hard drive where Steam is installed (say, C:\Program Files\Steam). Somewhere in there is the "Steamapps" folder. This usually houses the games you have downloaded. Look for the folder of your game (it may be under another sub-folder here called "Common"). Try to run your game from there. Many require Steam to run, but some will actually work fine, particularly old DOSbox-based stuff.

It's not really recommended you use XP as a primary OS these days though. The security holes alone in that one and all its unsupported software is crazy, I bet. Then you run into things like this where you can't access your Steam library. Curious to know if you get it resolved though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Austin said:

Assuming the game is already installed, you can try running the game from the Steamapps folder. You will need to locate the folder on the hard drive where Steam is installed (say, C:\Program Files\Steam). Somewhere in there is the "Steamapps" folder. This usually houses the games you have downloaded. Look for the folder of your game (it may be under another sub-folder here called "Common"). Try to run your game from there. Many require Steam to run, but some will actually work fine, particularly old DOSbox-based stuff.

It's not really recommended you use XP as a primary OS these days though. The security holes alone in that one and all its unsupported software is crazy, I bet. Then you run into things like this where you can't access your Steam library. Curious to know if you get it resolved though.

On my computer it appears that that the game is not installed. Looks like I'll either need to upgrade or "legally buy the game from the official website",  I think I'll do the former.

9 hours ago, Forrest said:

I would explain your problem to Steam customer service and request a refund

You don't even need to explain it. Any game that you played less than two hours (I'm sure there's some exceptions) will be refunded. And since you can't even play the game it should be refunded. I would have checked to see if the game was on GOG... their non-DRM installers will work on XP as long as the game itself supports the OS.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

On 7/9/2019 at 4:15 AM, Austin said:

It's not really recommended you use XP as a primary OS these days though. The security holes alone in that one and all its unsupported software is crazy, I bet. 

It is perfectly fine to run Windows XP, as long as one takes reasonable precautions. My desktop PC currently runs Windows XP sp2, but it has not been online since dial-up was still viable. ;-) I primarily use it for writing, photo editing, and maintaining my website.  All online activities (and game playing) are handled via a much newer platform. File transfer is handled via a flash drive. 

I have never used Steam (on any platform), so I have no opinion on its support for Windows XP. 

On 7/9/2019 at 1:21 PM, Forrest said:

I would explain your problem to Steam customer service and request a refund

I don't think i would be able to get a refund since i bought the key on ebay. Plus I bought it for $1.19 so it's not like I wasted $60.