Jump to content
Magmavision2000

Is There a Way I Can Play a Game I Bought on Steam Without Using the Steam App?

Recommended Posts

I bought a game from steam (via steam key) and I tried to play it through the steam app and all I got was the steamui.dll error and it seems i can't play the game through the steam website. Is there another way of playing steam games or am i screwed? My OS is windows xp if you're wondering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming the game is already installed, you can try running the game from the Steamapps folder. You will need to locate the folder on the hard drive where Steam is installed (say, C:\Program Files\Steam). Somewhere in there is the "Steamapps" folder. This usually houses the games you have downloaded. Look for the folder of your game (it may be under another sub-folder here called "Common"). Try to run your game from there. Many require Steam to run, but some will actually work fine, particularly old DOSbox-based stuff.

 

It's not really recommended you use XP as a primary OS these days though. The security holes alone in that one and all its unsupported software is crazy, I bet. Then you run into things like this where you can't access your Steam library. Curious to know if you get it resolved though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try downloading a patch for your game off the web...  I remember doing that for UT3 so I wouldn't have to do that run it through Steam.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Austin said:

Assuming the game is already installed, you can try running the game from the Steamapps folder. You will need to locate the folder on the hard drive where Steam is installed (say, C:\Program Files\Steam). Somewhere in there is the "Steamapps" folder. This usually houses the games you have downloaded. Look for the folder of your game (it may be under another sub-folder here called "Common"). Try to run your game from there. Many require Steam to run, but some will actually work fine, particularly old DOSbox-based stuff.

 

It's not really recommended you use XP as a primary OS these days though. The security holes alone in that one and all its unsupported software is crazy, I bet. Then you run into things like this where you can't access your Steam library. Curious to know if you get it resolved though.

On my computer it appears that that the game is not installed. Looks like I'll either need to upgrade or "legally buy the game from the official website",  I think I'll do the former.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Forrest said:

I would explain your problem to Steam customer service and request a refund

 

You don't even need to explain it. Any game that you played less than two hours (I'm sure there's some exceptions) will be refunded. And since you can't even play the game it should be refunded. I would have checked to see if the game was on GOG... their non-DRM installers will work on XP as long as the game itself supports the OS.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2019 at 4:15 AM, Austin said:

It's not really recommended you use XP as a primary OS these days though. The security holes alone in that one and all its unsupported software is crazy, I bet. 

 

It is perfectly fine to run Windows XP, as long as one takes reasonable precautions. My desktop PC currently runs Windows XP sp2, but it has not been online since dial-up was still viable. ;-) I primarily use it for writing, photo editing, and maintaining my website.  All online activities (and game playing) are handled via a much newer platform. File transfer is handled via a flash drive. 

 

I have never used Steam (on any platform), so I have no opinion on its support for Windows XP. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2019 at 1:21 PM, Forrest said:

I would explain your problem to Steam customer service and request a refund

 

I don't think i would be able to get a refund since i bought the key on ebay. Plus I bought it for $1.19 so it's not like I wasted $60.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Magmavision2000 said:

I don't think i would be able to get a refund since i bought the key on ebay. Plus I bought it for $1.19 so it's not like I wasted $60.

Ah, from a key reseller.  Don't worry, it probably won't work anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...