IGNORED

3D Modelling and Printing. Mostly on Topic.

Mr Robot

Hotend hit the binder clips, screwed up the XY positioning for the first few layers. I got loads of stringing between the pieces, I turned off combing inside the skin to try and stop visible scarring on the surfaces and the stringing was the result. Maybe I need to play with zhop instead/as well

IMG_1985.thumb.jpeg.68c3a984806bc14ebda682f1bd75ca6b.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, toddtmw said:

You also might want to look at your retraction settings to reduce stringing. 

I was getting zero stringing until the last print where I changed the combing setting from 'everywhere' to 'not inside skin' 

It's printing again now (just the 810) and even with that still set I'm getting none at all again. I don't know wth that was all about. 

Aluminium extruder, stiffer springs, dampers, improved ptfe tube and connectors and BLTouch all arrived this AM, i can't install for at least 7 more hours. nervous about the bootloader and marlin upgrade for the bltouch

The top of the 1010 has some finish issues, it wasn't quite flat. I've fixed that and need to reprint. It's huge but looks great!

IMG_1995.thumb.jpeg.9cfc78dfea3c3ddac5ced6d9312fcd9a.jpeg

Back to no stringing issues, I think that was just a side effect of that print being shifted slightly!

IMG_1994.thumb.jpeg.797f08fadd43c306f609467f557e1327.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fierodoug5 said:

Is there a beige filament that matches the XL computers? I have'nt had luck finding one.

I have a beige reel arriving on Monday, how close the match is I won't know till I print it. There are lots of beiges out there, people use them to print dinosaur skeletons and stuff like that.

Dark brown was hard to get, I've a feeling the one I ordered is going to be a bit light, hopefully it'll be close enough. 

• Like 1

This is just my WIP thread. When they are finished and I have documented the process on my webpage I will be making a post about it. Wait till you see the final thing before you decide which is your favourite ;) 

On 7/30/2019 at 9:21 AM, Mr Robot said:

This is just my WIP thread. When they are finished and I have documented the process on my webpage I will be making a post about it. Wait till you see the final thing before you decide which is your favourite ;) 

You hush and take my money already

4 hours ago, orpheuswaking said:

You hush and take my money already

Here's the problem. (At least from my perspective...)

These things take a long time to print. Assuming these cases would benefit from multiple colors, you can't even print it all at once even if you have a printer big enough to do so. So, let's say you can print one case a day on average if you bulk print the pieces that are the same color. How much do you charge? And oh by the way, you've now lost the use of your printer as long as there are orders. And if there aren't enough orders to justify bulk-prints, then it's less than one per day.

My sister makes greeting cards using stencils and cut out paper when she gives someone a birthday or annversary present. Peoeple are like, you should do that for a living. It's a hobby for her. Given the amount of her time and the cost of materials each card takes, in order to make it worthwhile she'd have to charge like $20-$30 per card. (her actual words were she can't make the price high enough.)

No one is going to pay that price for a card.

It's the same thing (as far as I'm concerned) for printing things. There are people that looked into having an eclaire case printed. Peopler were getting quotes over $100. I'm printing one for someone on the board.I'm chargin $20. It will tie up my printer for at least 2 days and then I have to ship it.

I'm happy to do that occasionally for people here, but if I was doing this more frequently, I'm not sure I could charge enough to make it worthwhile.

Of course, that's my opinion. If you don't agree with me, I'll change it. ;)

• Like 2

Exactly right

The XF-551 is 2 pieces, 1 colour.

The 1010 and 1050 are 4 pieces, 3 colours.

The 810 is 3 pieces, 2 colours.

The small pieces can be printed at maybe 5 per print, the back panels can be printed 4 per print and take 17 hours for the front panels, 4 hours for the back panels and 2 hours each for the silver strips.

The main shell is a single model per print. They take between 7 and 10 hours each to print.

All told each case is about 10-12 hours of print time. As long as it never goes wrong.

The materials cost about $5

On 7/31/2019 at 6:57 PM, toddtmw said:

Here's the problem. (At least from my perspective...)

These things take a long time to print. Assuming these cases would benefit from multiple colors, you can't even print it all at once even if you have a printer big enough to do so. So, let's say you can print one case a day on average if you bulk print the pieces that are the same color. How much do you charge? And oh by the way, you've now lost the use of your printer as long as there are orders. And if there aren't enough orders to justify bulk-prints, then it's less than one per day.

My sister makes greeting cards using stencils and cut out paper when she gives someone a birthday or annversary present. Peoeple are like, you should do that for a living. It's a hobby for her. Given the amount of her time and the cost of materials each card takes, in order to make it worthwhile she'd have to charge like $20-$30 per card. (her actual words were she can't make the price high enough.)

No one is going to pay that price for a card.

It's the same thing (as far as I'm concerned) for printing things. There are people that looked into having an eclaire case printed. Peopler were getting quotes over $100. I'm printing one for someone on the board.I'm chargin $20. It will tie up my printer for at least 2 days and then I have to ship it.

I'm happy to do that occasionally for people here, but if I was doing this more frequently, I'm not sure I could charge enough to make it worthwhile.

Of course, that's my opinion. If you don't agree with me, I'll change it. ;)

I don't disagree at all. Mr Robot knows I'm just yanking his chain... I mean I would love at least one of the cases but I am willing to pay for the time and effort. 

• Like 1