IGNORED

3D Modelling and Printing. Mostly on Topic.

Mr Robot

Here we have a colour fail. I have the only SDM case in the world that looks like it has been sat near a window for 20 years yellowing. 

IMG_2002.thumb.jpg.6934f51b4c016a1ee291e3c54d128519.jpg

This is now a $20 reel of PLA I can't use for anything. It was also extremely abrasive and has worn the sacrificial filament guide I have in place and it needed a temp of 220 to extrude properly.

Ordered another lighter colour filament.

Scribbles on paper are the math from recalibrating my extruder.

I have learned so much from doing this, it's been excellent fun.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

I have learned so much from doing this, it's been excellent fun.

thats the spirit - mistakes are a great way to learn fast & 3d printing isnt an exact science to say the least!! :?

I am having lots of problems getting a good 810 print. all the little veins on the back keep popping off the print bed, there is a LOT of tweaking and wastage happening :(

In the mean time, the devil makes work for idle hands...

AVG Cart.png

Ultimate Cart.png

• Like 1

I've tried that, I think my ABL is failing and catching the model at random points in the print. I am now printing with a 1mm z-hop which is ridiculous but it does seem to be working. I have some fine stringing, it looks like spiders are nesting but I'm over half way through with no disasters so far. 

I need to look into getting another ABL.

Yeah. I don’t have ABL, but I see this when my bed isn’t leveled properly. 

So, I’d say you are on the right track. 

It also seems some filaments are more prone to this than others. 

Try another filament from a different manufacturer. If that helps, cross that manufacturer off your list. 

Same problem is happening with the 551. Some things are just hard to print with FDM printers. 

I now have a box full of waste, test and failed prints, amazing how much PLA gets wasted doing this stuff. 

IMG_2013.thumb.jpeg.02fdb825ab691dda6982cae814a181f9.jpeg

16 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

try a single attached line after them on the bed

I took that idea and added a frame to the SDM screen hole, it's not what you were trying to suggest but thanks for the inspiration!

277769662_Screenshot2019-08-06at10_59_31.jpg.80911ef73974b53ea36d522203428b50.jpg

I've done the same thing to the 810. The 551 is printing now and looks much more reliably printable.

• Like 3

I hate to do this to you, but because of how good you are getting with these SDrive-MAX cases, I was wondering if you would also consider creating a case for the SIO2MIDI sometime down the road? It's just crying out for a suit to cover its bareness ;) .

sio2midi-v1-1_5_orig.jpg

I could send you a couple of blank PCBs and one assembled unit if you are the least bit interested. Send me a PM if you'd like to discuss this.

Keep up the great work... it's absolutely amazing!!!

• Like 2

Well the border around the window seems to have done the trick.

The grey I have is depressingly dark. I've ordered a lighter one. 

IMG_2016.thumb.jpeg.1119c05dd1dac8deacbb339187cccb56.jpeg

@mytek yes I'm interested in making a case for the SIO2MIDI, I have every intention of replacing the midi in my XEL with your updated board and the midi port extension at some point so helping out with that would be cool! 

I'll shoot you a PM

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Well the border around the window seems to have done the trick.

The grey I have is depressingly dark. I've ordered a lighter one. 

IMG_2016.thumb.jpeg.1119c05dd1dac8deacbb339187cccb56.jpeg

@mytek yes I'm interested in making a case for the SIO2MIDI, I have every intention of replacing the midi in my XEL with your updated board and the midi port extension at some point so helping out with that would be cool! 

I'll shoot you a PM

Holy crap!!!  That case is just pure awesome!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, xrbrevin said:

it wouldnt be too difficult to rescale/tweak the design to create replacement casings for the real devices! :)

If it wasn't chopped up into little pieces where aren't a lot of common printers that could print a full size one.  There are already Kryoflux, 2.5"HDD and SDCard reader cases with Atari styling on Thingyverse.

the XF? just a busy light there... but you could add a power light for the other devices that will be nestled inside.

There are some very tiny pin dot led's both round and rectangular but if putting a hole there is a bother, I was just thinking a fake impression would set things off nicely. How far do you want to take it? You could make the disk latch an on off switch or reset switch or  ....  well you get what I'm saying.

Yeah I get it, I have similar thoughts, but truth is, how many people want to put in that amount of effort for what is essentially a plastic case. I could maybe make some super cases as a limited edition or something

that's looking way better tbh, and it may help with future production, each time you dial it in you are getting a range to work from in the future, when you have a new reel you can thumb to that section in your notebook or spreadsheet and select from that range... then choose your test print item and refine that setting before running off the actual full scale items from that filament... this will save you a great deal in the future.

• Thanks 1