IGNORED

Jaguar CD units region free?

Robi-Wan

Yes, Jaguar CD units are region free. That said, a couple of games do not play nicely on PAL Jaguars. I don't *think* that extends to the CD add-on accessory. The games that have issues with PAL Jaguars are Dragon's Lair and Space Ace. Those games were optimized for 60Hz systems and have issues on 50Hz PAL systems. But I suppose, in theory, that's only an issue with the main Jaguar console itself, so you should be fine if you have an NTSC Jaguar main console.

38 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

Yes, Jaguar CD units are region free. That said, a couple of games do not play nicely on PAL Jaguars. I don't *think* that extends to the CD add-on accessory. The games that have issues with PAL Jaguars are Dragon's Lair and Space Ace. Those games were optimized for 60Hz systems and have issues on 50Hz PAL systems. But I suppose, in theory, that's only an issue with the main Jaguar console itself, so you should be fine if you have an NTSC Jaguar main console.

Great news, thanks for the response! My one question about the games that don’t work well on PAL consoles, aren’t DL and SA Jag CD games only? Meaning if those games don’t play nice with PAL units wouldn’t that have to mean the Jag CD specifically? Or am I missing something there?

3 minutes ago, Robi-Wan said:

Great news, thanks for the response! My one question about the games that don’t work well on PAL consoles, aren’t DL and SA Jag CD games only? Meaning if those games don’t play nice with PAL units wouldn’t that have to mean the Jag CD specifically? Or am I missing something there?

His wording was a little off, you are fine. There is no such thing as a PAL or NTSC Jag CD, only a different power supply. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sure thing. You're right that DL and SA are Jac CD games only. However, it's my understanding that the Jag CD peripheral, as an add-on to the console itself, still uses processing power, etc. from the main Jaguar console. As such, DL and SA will give you issues *if you are running a PAL Jaguar (main console)*. Hope that clarifies things for you.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 6:53 PM, sixersfan105 said:

True, Space Ace and Dragon's Lair only work on 60Hz. But you can mod your Jaguar so it can be switched between 50Hz and 60Hz modes. By switching a PAL Jaguar to 60Hz you can play Space Ace and Dragon's Lair on a PAL Jaguar.

Robert