IGNORED

The Sauces of War... Salsa of World?

WAVE 1 GAMES

Let's see what we've got here with the latest WAVE 1 GAMES development. Looks promising!

FZXUkZP.png

Looks like a hit.

oTpp5Nx.png

Oh wait, Target Locked now. I guess you need that to happen before a hit. Seems reasonable.

zDucRhm.png

Hmm....

X8B4vly.png

Safe travels, friend!

PxQiLte.png

Target Locked without being in the crosshairs. Let's check the next frame.

FqUPknI.png

Direct hit to a cactus!

u3HuKBO.png

Cactus shrapnel takes out the saucer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Played through all waves, but I won't spoil what waits at the end. Once you figured out how to save energy and that you can actually evade the shots it's quite easy. All waves play more or less the same with no added challenge or increase in difficulty.  The colllision detection is a bit wonky, I can shoot a row of 3 saucers by aiming between them. Sometimes I shoot a saucer and another one far behind just disappears, the collision detection does not calculate the Z order as it seems. It's a very basic game atm, not bad, but needs a LOT of refinement in gameplay to become really good. 

Hiscore: 36000

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope you can make the boxes for this game the same size as all other peoples Jag boxes as the one or two games I have bought from you will not fit in any Jaguar box protectors I own as the boxes are too big (not by much) but they are too big to fit inside Jaguar plastic box protectors. It would be great if the box size of Wave1 games could be the same as everyone else's boxes - just thought I would throw that into the ring before you make any boxes for any new games. Hope you don't mind me mentioning it. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, jaybird3rd said:

Let's try to keep this thread on topic, please.  There are 10 posts in this thread (not including this one), and we've had to deal with reports on three of them.  If anyone needs a replacement cartridge from "WAVE 1 GAMES", please take it up via PM.

What else would you expect from a topic about yet another WAVE 1 GAMES 10 minute rush job? Mr. Jeffrey is free to post about his numerous rush jobs, and we should be free to point out the numerous bugs and other assorted problems that they inevitably have.

Edited by Sauron
  • Like 4

Remember when the internet was littered with those banner ads made with flash that tried to disguise themselves as games? Usually there would be something that popped up that you've have to aim your cursor at and click. That's what this reminds me of and it probably has about the same replay value.

The visuals look nice at least, but there have been so many simple games where you mindlessly shoot at things like this that not even visuals with a $1m budget could make that kind of gameplay interesting at this point.

Edited by Buffalo Biff Burgertime
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

I had been sent different updates from Jeff through the last month or so as he was working on it. It's great to see the progress from what it initially was. This one came by request from me when I saw the initial demo a while ago I asked if he planned to work on it more and eventually release it. 

Obviously people have a hatred for anything he puts out and will probably lay into me when I say I saw it in the initial stages vs what it looks like now and saw oh I bet there were no changes or make some snide comments. But this isn't the final release it's a flipping beta people.

I personally enjoy what has been put out and had fun with it watching the progress. I have made it almost to the end of Wave 2 and have not been able to make it further as I seem to struggle in wave 2 with the skinnier ships and my lasers overheating. My high score has been around 7500 I believe. I'd like to make it to the higher waves to see how they are. 

Edited by UHATEIT
Added high score and progress
  • Thanks 1

Good Evening folks,

Here is the next public Beta demo. Please be advised that this is not a final version of the game and it is still a work in progress.

For anyone who is curious about the story and why a stationary turret is seen moving to different locations allow me to elaborate: the neon grid stages in between are actually rifts in space time that transport your turret from one location in the universe to another. The first neon grid stage is a Sun. It takes you to the desert. The second neon grid stage is a moon. It takes you to the moon. The third is an alien world. It takes you to the alien home world. The aliens travel through the rifts in space time for faster access to our world. The timer seen in the upper left hand corner of the screen represents when the next window in the space time rift will open up, allowing you to use their own technology against them and gain faster access to the alien home world.

Being a big fan of Star Trek and the Scifi genre in general, I wish I could take full credit in the development of the story, however I can not. I am in fact collaborating with another person on this project. The details on who that person is will be revealed in time. I will say this much, he is a REALLY GOOD artist who is no stranger to the Jaguar scene and he is making a full comic book telling the tale of Saucer Wars that will be included with the game. It is also possible that there may be future collaborations between me and said individual. There are even talks of reviving an old lost Jaguar homebrew project, but that's a discussion for another time and another place.

In the meantime please play and try to enjoy what I have here for you to see so far. Just remember the following:

I am intentionally leaving certain things out of these demos that WILL be in the final release. These things include different ships and features. The thought process here is I don't want to give away all of the surprises in the demos! Who wants to see a movie where the plot has already been given away?

The following are known issues that are being worked on and ARE present in this demo, so there is no need to address them here:

* 2 ships on the desert and moon levels sometimes display garbled graphics. Possibly 1 other ship has this issue on wave 4 (issue has been pinpointed and will be resolved in next demo)

* Music on desert stage has TERRIBLE feedback/noise issues. (working on fixing this, it's my favorite song)

* Difficulty has been increased to almost unfair levels in the higher stages. This difficulty ladder is a work in progress

* If you are skilled enough to make it to the Alien Queen, she does NOTHING! She just sits there! I'm still working out what all will happen in that battle so as of now, that is INCOMPLETE.

* Balloons Mode still does not work, just don't even select it. (it's literally just going to be a practice mode where you shoot balloons anyway, so don't get your hopes too high on that one)

I do appreciate any genuine feedback given and I am working to be better receptive to criticism. Trolling will be ignored and reported as necessary. @Agradeneu, you seem to be the only person actually playing the game the way I intended the player to play it! This is a very good thing, and I look forward to seeing how you like the increases in difficulty and the adjustments to the collisions I have made. Just remember I think the difficulty is kind of unfair by the time you get to Wave 5 now, so I still have some balancing to do there.

enjoy

SaucerWarsPublicBetaB.rom

Edited by WAVE 1 GAMES
  • Like 1

After a headache causing round of Doom testing last night I got this flashed. Played briefly this morning and managed to make it to wave 2. The speed of the UFOs seems to have increased. I took out 2 with one shot that were not in line but the collision appears to have improved.

Will dive in more this evening. Have to beat my new high score of 5055.

aaaa.jpg.38ea963e9d42dff92deebe9b9b8c621c.jpg

Will end up hacking in infinite energy though. Want to see that queen:P

Great build..

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Saturn said:

After a headache causing round of Doom testing last night I got this flashed. Played briefly this morning and managed to make it to wave 2. The speed of the UFOs seems to have increased. I took out 2 with one shot that were not in line but the collision appears to have improved.

Will dive in more this evening. Have to beat my new high score of 5055.

aaaa.jpg.38ea963e9d42dff92deebe9b9b8c621c.jpg

Will end up hacking in infinite energy though. Want to see that queen:P

Great build..

Dude you are awesome if in some way you can hack infinite energy! I've been loading up your hacks for the Sega CD and you are amazing when it comes to helping!

On this game Jeff sent me the ROM last night to test out and I finally loaded it this morning. My new high is 7705 but I have not been able to beat Wave 2. I made it to 5 seconds left to finish Wave 2 and died. Seemed in the last 25 seconds of the wave it was a slaughter of shots that was just killing me. Definitely the difficulty is higher in Wave 2. I too would like to get to the end and see that Queen!

Overall a very nice build, it is a fun game!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, UHATEIT said:

is a fun game!

So I had heard some confused talk earlier about this game being like JagZombies. Since I know you own a copy of JagZombies, I gotta ask you, does this game feel a little bit better than JagZombies or are they both pretty much the same? I really hope it feels at least a touch better than the zombie game because I was truly going for a different vibe here. I mean I know they are both shooting games, but other than that?

13 minutes ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

So I had heard some confused talk earlier about this game being like JagZombies. Since I know you own a copy of JagZombies, I gotta ask you, does this game feel a little bit better than JagZombies or are they both pretty much the same? I really hope it feels at least a touch better than the zombie game because I was truly going for a different vibe here. I mean I know they are both shooting games, but other than that?

This game is definitely better than Jagzombies. There seems to be more to the game and thus longer gameplay that would not result in being completed in under 9 minutes. It is a tad hard with the waves getting harder but most shooters SHOULD be like that and then you have to keep practicing at it. I likely will make it to Wave 3 when I give it some more chances. I could see this game having multiple playthroughs to get a higher score and to get further into the waves for sure, whcih gives additional playability and replay value.

I really like shooters and this is a good one for sure. I would like to see a high score keeper but not likely an option with these games without the memory track. Just to keep ahold of the high scores we all make. Definitely a good game thusfar man and it has been great to play! came just in time for this random internet convo about storming Area 51, which I don't understand personally as I don't watch the news.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, agradeneu said:

Wave 3 is dead end for me lol, you really ramp up the difficulty! A bit too harsh for my taste, but power ups support could balance it out. Collisions feel improved.

Yeah it can't go from easy peasy on wave 1 to total chaos and constantly being bombarded by alien shots on wave 3. The transition needs to be a bit smoother. And you didn't even see wave 5! It's hell on wheels! I feel like the 7th stage should be a constant bombardment of enemy fire and constant ships coming in both the background and foreground, but it needs to build up to this madness rather than just throw it all on the player at once. The only type of power up I can imagine is some type of smart bomb that appears in the play field for a short while that you can shoot and once shot it explodes and takes out everything on screen in that moment. I'm open to other suggestions for powerups, however I am pushing the limit with any new graphics added. There's a lot of graphics data crammed into this game.

• Like 1

Smart bomb sounds good. Yeah there should be a difficulty curve to the levels, I immediately took 3-4 hits after transition to wave 3 and I could not do much about it because the saucers were all over me at the very start of the wave. Shield recharge powerup would be nice, maybe as an instant bonus for humans rescue?

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, agradeneu said:

Shield recharge powerup would be nice, maybe as an instant bonus for humans rescue?

I know I keep saying this... But I literally just thought of the same exact thing yesterday! I'm frankly surprised none of us thought of that sooner, because really what purpose does it serve to rescue the humans anyway? I have implemented this into the current build and it will be present in the next Public Beta upload. It doesn't fully recharge your shields, that would be too easy, but it does take off like 2 hits so a quick little boost of shield energy for you.

As for the ships swarming you at the start of the level, I was actually thinking of adding a little break at the beginning of each level. so for example for the first 10-15 seconds there would be no saucer activity and then they would show up.

Big thanks goes out to Clint Thompson for helping me refine the HUD yet again last night! Now the time and Wave counter are integrated into the HUD graphic instead of just sloppily overlapping it. The new HUD will be present in the next upload as well. Just a little more polish added to an already exciting project!

• Like 1

Unfortunately I was unable to resolve the sometimes garbled graphics on the ships in the desert and moon stages. I am still working on this. I did manage to water down the difficulty a bit and added the shield boost when rescuing an abductee. The new HUD is also present in this demo. I think you guys should be able to get past levels 2 and 3 now. The game is still hard, but it's meant to be a challenge! Let me know how the difficulty feels after a few tries and please ignore the garbled ships when it happens for now. I'm still working on that. I decided to upload another video for the folks who aren't playing the game so they can see the new HUD and other things.

SaucerWarsPublicBetaC.rom

• Like 2

Same bug as JagZombies (I wonder why that is?) where explosions show up in the wrong place. These were all taken one frame apart in YouTube.

AqSORCI.png

Crosshair is just on the lower right of the ship.

0QsMfp3.png

Explosion begins outside the crosshair.

7ynbqjy.png

Crosshair barely on the ship.

yzC2OER.png

LOL.

I tried the newest build last night (PublicBetaC) and was finally able to make it to Wave 3 a few times, have not made it to wave 4 as of yet, came within 20 seconds of finishing wave 3. The difficulty is surely ramped in waves 2 and 3 and I imaging they are harder as you go on. definitely gives good replay value when you have to keep trying to get further. My new high score is 10180.

67104398_345851409643393_4626745969063493632_n.jpg

I would like to see a little bit more diversity in the items / objects that attack you. I recognize the name of the game is Saucers of War, but it would cool if there were some other items. Maybe a mini-lander, or some other kind of alien space craft thrown in. I did see the item in the second pane where it beams down... that's good.

• Like 1