IGNORED

Can't complete Pitstop.

Serguei2

I believe that overfilling the fuel tank causes it to explode (although it doesn't actually show that).  You have to stop him before he does that.  It looks like the only indicator that overfilling has occurred is that the fuel gauge drops to zero.  So, as ed1475 said, by the time you went back to the race the fuel tank was now empty (or in fact is strewn in a million pieces all over the pit).  Rather bad that it doesn't at least put up a piece of text to say the tank has exploded.

11 hours ago, Ikrananka said:

I believe that overfilling the fuel tank causes it to explode (although it doesn't actually show that).  You have to stop him before he does that.  It looks like the only indicator that overfilling has occurred is that the fuel gauge drops to zero.  So, as ed1475 said, by the time you went back to the race the fuel tank was now empty (or in fact is strewn in a million pieces all over the pit).  Rather bad that it doesn't at least put up a piece of text to say the tank has exploded.

If you listen closely, you can hear it explode.  Given the limitations of the time, I guess that's better than nothing, but why not just flash the screen red and say 'game over', who knows. Those wacky guys at Epyx!

Pitstop was one of my favorite games, the need to manage the pit mini game was an excellent addition to the racing game genre.  Hearing that damn bang is something I'll never forget as it could lead one from being a winner to a loser, while also providing me with copious amounts of pride and joy when I timed it just right at the top

6 hours ago, Loafer said:

It's also mentioned in the manual that the tank will explode if overfilled, necessitating a restart.  The "bang" sound effect did the job.

I'm player  type who won't read the manual and figure out how to play.

Also ed1475 has answered different thing and changed his comments later.

536659719_outofgas.png.c06cd92bada7867173517087c6133300.png

That's why my answer made no sense now.