IGNORED

harware keyboard problem, this ones strange

hloberg

Just got a new beige, I don't think it's a QI as I don't see it on the motherboard, anyway only the 1, lowercase t and 0 work? I opened it up and it's not a bad keyboard. I disconnected the keyboard from the motherboard tested shorting across the pins on the board that connect the keyboard ribbon cable. only certain pins work. I cleaned the pins very well. tested again, still only certain pins work. I even tested shorting across the resistors that lead to the pins to make sure it wasn't a dirty pin issue. same thing. I looked the motherboard over for bad traces and don't seem to see any, of course some really small one could be getting past me. Note; the box had sever water damage but the machine turns on just fine, takes a cartridge (of course can't do anything except console BASIC since can't press 2).

Any ideas? 

Just got a new beige, I don't think it's a QI as I don't see it on the motherboard, anyway only the 1, lowercase t and 0 work? I opened it up and it's not a bad keyboard. I disconnected the keyboard from the motherboard tested shorting across the pins on the board that connect the keyboard ribbon cable. only certain pins work. I cleaned the pins very well. tested again, still only certain pins work. I even tested shorting across the resistors that lead to the pins to make sure it wasn't a dirty pin issue. same thing. I looked the motherboard over for bad traces and don't seem to see any, of course some really small one could be getting past me. Note; the box had sever water damage but the machine turns on just fine, takes a cartridge (of course can't do anything except console BASIC since can't press 2).

Any ideas? 

9901 bad?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FarmerPotato said:

I think you described that you disconnected the keyboard, and touched pins together to mimic keys pressed?

In that case most likely the 9901 chip is bad.

ugh, what I thought but not what I wanted to hear. I think I'll bring it to Austin with me.

Explains why the guy sold it to me for just a little above the cost of shipping. The @@#&(# probably knew it was bad but didn't list it for parts or repair.

oh well, it'll make a good electronics project to see if I can get it working again.

5 minutes ago, FarmerPotato said:

We can get one out of a scrap 4A for you.

Otherwise it's about $3-$5 from China, $30 domestic.

I forget whether it's soldered or socketed, but no problem, we can desolder at the Hackerspace. 

sounds like a plan. thanks.