IGNORED

Analogue Mega Sg jailbreak Coleco issue

Apologies for asking this twice but I suspect the ColecoVision forum's read is too narrow so I'm shooting for a broader audience the second time (mods can delete that CV forum post if they want). I successfully applied the Smokemonster jailbreak to my Analogue Mega Sg yesterday and can run Genesis backups off my SD card just fine, but I'm having a problem using the ColecoVision core. No matter which bios I upload to the bios folder or how I activate it in the settings menu, I get "cannot load bios" whenever I try to start a ColecoVision game in the cores menu. Can anyone advise me what I might be doing wrong? I've tried zipping and unzipping the bios, naming and renaming it, changing folder locations, you name it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

You need to point to the downloaded file in Core Options first. It needs to be unzipped. I chose the "short delay" version, but no-delay, and the standard work as well. 

Core options. Okay, I'll try that. I thought it was the bios in settings but perhaps I was looking in the wrong place.

Well that got me one step closer but I'm still not there. Now when I try to open a game it says "turn off system before inserting expansion module or cartridge" every time. On an unrelated note I can't seem to figure out how to load a Sega CD core even using the technique you mentioned above - it just shows a blank screen once the game is done loading.

15 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Yes, your Coleco ROM files should be unzipped. Place them in the folder structure suggested by the firmware Readme. 

Soon, you will be playing FPGA'ed Colecovision with a Sega controller!

That worked! Only now my next project is getting SMS carts to work. The cart converter came with it, but nothing happens when I plug a cart in and run it, even though the cart slot works fine for Genesis games. I'm guessing I need a core for SMS. (And I still don't know how to play Sega CD isos.)

Edited by MegaManFan
forgot to say something

RTFM my friend! This only plays

Genesis/Megadrive

Sega Master System

SG-1000

ColecoVision

and all the cores are built in. 32X and Sega CD require extra hardware that isn't simulated by the FPGA chip in the Mega Sg. 

You could run cartridges for SMS, but you might as well just run ROM files since you've already installed the jailbreak. 

1 minute ago, Flojomojo said:

RTFM my friend! This only plays

Genesis/Megadrive

Sega Master System

SG-1000

ColecoVision

and all the cores are built in. 32X and Sega CD require extra hardware that isn't simulated by the FPGA chip in the Mega Sg. 

Oh ah. Well I did RTFM but I thought Sega CD would work after jailbreaking - my mistake since jailbreaking isn't addressed in the manual. I guess I'll need the Terraonion cart if I want to do it without a Sega CD add-on. Not sure why my SMS games aren't working with the built in core though.

I meant the Readme for the jailbreak firmware. It's all in there. You can still attach a physical Sega CD device (it looks funny) but yeah, terraonion looks like the more elegant, solid-state answer to this. I'm kinda sorta tempted myself. https://terraonion.com/en/producto/megasd/

If it were $100 cheaper, and ran 32X games, I'd jump on it. 

1288799099_ScreenShot2019-07-11at2_20_10PM.thumb.png.288557a45265b333fc713e8c54d2dafa.png

Yeah the pricepoint for the Terraonion device is keeping me away at this point... but only for now. If I save up enough money, it shall someday be done. I was never into 32X so I can't miss what I never wanted or had.

BTW would you believe the reason SMS games weren't loading was because I had the cart converter in BACKWARDS? I FULLY own my own dumbassery on this one. Point a finger at me like Nelson and yell HA HA! if you like. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh dude I did the exact same thing in my Analogue unboxing video - I mentioned how this might cost $189, but a Genesis probably cost $200 when it first came out, and that would be $600-$700 in today's dollars, so that Analogue is a bargain by comparison!

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 1:33 PM, Flojomojo said:

One way I justify buying stupid things is to work out how much it would have cost had it existed at the time of the retro tech's peak in desirability. A CDX was like $400 back then! Very expensive. But $250 today is "only" $137 in early 1990s bucks. 

1574847112_ScreenShot2019-07-11at4_31_30PM.thumb.png.466d541b0766765b2a073a913860c18b.png

Another way I look at gaming prices is what my earning power was back in highschool. $100 back then is like $1000 today.

• Haha 1

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 1/23/2020 at 9:40 PM, Josefkaner666 said:

I have the Coleco bios in the bios folder and chose it in the core options and its still not working. Says  cant find bios.

Yes, that is my issue on the Mega SG as well. I tried the JB7.7, reverted back tonJB7.6 and even tried JB7.5 but it is unable to load the .rom files. I am wondering if the files are specific to a particular device. I am interested in purchasing a rom pack for coleco like I did for Sega on steam, but I can't find the options that I know will work because I get the same cannot find bios error. Sms, sg1000, Genesis and gamegear all work fine.

• 2 years later...