IGNORED

Lynx II Power Supply Issue?

Tempest

I just got back from a vacation on which I had taken my Lynx II along.  The system worked fine on the trip, but when I got home I discovered that it would not turn on with the power supply, it only works with batteries.  The power supply looks fine, but is there a chance that it got knocked around a bit and broke somehow?  Could it be the power jack that broke?  I was going to try another power supply, but I don't seem to have anything that's 9V 1A in my spare box, is there any common system's power supply that would work with the Lynx II that I can use for testing?

UPDATE: I found my old car adapter and tried that.  No dice.  So it appears that it's the power jack that's gone bad.  How could that have happened?  Is there an easy way to fix it?

7 hours ago, madman said:

This.. I got this kit also, the power jack really needed some extra support designed in. They are very easy to move around, it really needed another solder point just for support towards the front of the port.

5 hours ago, Tempest said:

Is this something that happens a lot?  Like I said, it was working fine one day and now suddenly it's not.  How hard is that to install?  I only have very basic soldering skills.

You've just described pretty much everything that breaks :) "It was working until it wasn't." The jack isn't hard to install, the SMT parts would be more difficult, but if it's just the jack you should be fine. If you have a DMM or even a simple basic analog voltmeter you should be able to determine if power is leaving the jack or not.

I think pin 1 is positive, 2 is negative, if not, don't worry you won't blow anything up, your meter will just read -9V if polarity is reversed. Set your meter to DC volts for the measurement. Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions or want to send pics for clarification.

• 1 month later...

I ordered the power jack fix kit.  We'll see if this fixes my problem (I'm hoping it's a simple cracked solder joint or something).  Is there a visual guide somewhere of what to replace?  I see there's a description of the part numbers on the page, is this a enough find them on the board?  I've never actually cracked open a Lynx before.