IGNORED

Just stumbled on my disk collection...does the Kryoflux/Supercard Pro handle Enhanced Density?

JLsoft

My 800XL/130XE were my main computer from '88-'97, and I know that any of the disks I made with stuff I'd like to recover (programs written, local user group disks, BBS logs, etc) are going to be from one of the stock 1050's I had...

Anyways, I'm pretty sure that early on when stuff like the Catweasel board came out, it could only handle Atari 8-bit 'Single Density' disks, but I can't really find any up-to-date compatibility info on something fancy like the Kryoflux/SC Pro/etc.

I'm guessing that since these modern options are just dumping at such a low level, it's up to whatever you use to convert-that-data-to-the-resulting-computer-format's-disk-image if a certain density/layout is 'supported', right?

...I remember a utility or two for DOS on the PC that could read disks on a PC drive, but I'm pretty sure that was limited to either single density or double density, I forget ?

Edited by JLsoft
Ramblin' typos.

7 hours ago, JLsoft said:

Anyways, I'm pretty sure that early on when stuff like the Catweasel board came out, it could only handle Atari 8-bit 'Single Density' disks, but I can't really find any up-to-date compatibility info on something fancy like the Kryoflux/SC Pro/etc.

I'm guessing that since these modern options are just dumping at such a low level, it's up to whatever you use to convert-that-data-to-the-resulting-computer-format's-disk-image if a certain density/layout is 'supported', right?

Exactly. Raw/low level dumping is density and encoding agnostic.

And btw, the Catweasel didn't have an intrinsic limitation with double or enhanced densities. The problem with the Catweasel was that there wasn't a standard low level file format and then it usually required specific Catweasel tools.

Edited by ijor
  • Like 1