IGNORED

Is it normal for the Atari Jaguar cartridge slot to be finicky?

RREDDWARFF

I just purchased an Atari Jaguar online and I noticed the cartridge slot seems to be finicky. Are they known to be problematic? At first, after cleaning the cart contacts with rubbing alcohol, the games seemed to start up okay. I noticed that the more I tested the system, the more frequently I was getting either a black screen with no sound, or a black screen with just the growl sound. No red screen of death though. I would have to either restart the system or remove and re-insert the cart (sometimes several times) in order for it to work. Once working, no issues like freezing or crashing. Is this common place with the Atari Jaguar? Thanks.

The slot is definitely more finicky than other cartridge-based consoles, but in your case it sounds excessive. Try cleaning the contacts like Gummy Bear said.

If it doesn't fix the problem, it's possible that the cartridge connector is worn. It can be replaced, but this is neither easy nor cheap.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Gummy Bear said:

No it's not normal.

Try cleaning your slot and carts properly:

I tried cleaning the cart slot and games like you said. I seem to be having the same issue. I noticed that when I turn on the console with a cart inserted, I often get a black screen. I do not touch the cart I simply turn it off again and I get strictly sound, no picture. I turn it off and on again without touching the cart and then it works, or the game works, but sometimes the start up screen is distorted. A superimposed "Jaguar" logo (that does not fully fit on the screen), or a scrunched logo. Any ideas?

14 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

The slot is definitely more finicky than other cartridge-based consoles, but in your case it sounds excessive. Try cleaning the contacts like Gummy Bear said.

If it doesn't fix the problem, it's possible that the cartridge connector is worn. It can be replaced, but this is neither easy nor cheap.

Thanks for your input. I tried the cleaning method, but I had no luck. I explain a bit more whats happening above in my reply to Gummy Bear. Any ideas?

9 hours ago, RREDDWARFF said:

Thanks for your input. I tried the cleaning method, but I had no luck. I explain a bit more whats happening above in my reply to Gummy Bear. Any ideas?

Can you look inside with a flash light and see if any of the pins are bent or otherwise messed up? Usually a cleaning will get you where you need to be unless there's some physical damage to the connector itself.

12 hours ago, RREDDWARFF said:

I tried cleaning the cart slot and games like you said. I seem to be having the same issue. I noticed that when I turn on the console with a cart inserted, I often get a black screen. I do not touch the cart I simply turn it off again and I get strictly sound, no picture. I turn it off and on again without touching the cart and then it works, or the game works, but sometimes the start up screen is distorted. A superimposed "Jaguar" logo (that does not fully fit on the screen), or a scrunched logo. Any ideas? 

With those symptoms, it no longer sounds like a connector issue. I had a Jaguar that exhibited similar strange symptoms (it randomly crashed on startup, the audio would randomly become distorted) and spent a lot of time trying to diagnose and replace things, but to no avail. Sorry I can't help more.

• Thanks 1

Iv only had my jaguar for a few weeks and only have the one game at the moment, iv yet to clean mine but I find it helps when inserting the cart if I pull it out a little it boots every time. All the way in it doesn't want to know.

Hope you manage to get your Jag sorted. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/12/2019 at 9:23 AM, RREDDWARFF said:

I was getting either a black screen with no sound, or a black screen with just the growl sound.

There are others here who know more about how the Jaguar operates than I, however as I understand it the BIOS checks the cartridge encryption and if it passes you get the standard boot screen with the tumbling letters and if not the RSOD with just the growl.

If you are just getting the growl without the tumbling letter sounds it's possible you are getting the RSOD you just can't see it because there is not video output.

I assume you have tried cleaning the cartridge contacts as well as those of the cartridge socket,

Make sure the cartridge it seated level, when I first got my Jag it did not work and think it was because I was using one hand to insert the cartridges, getting them on a slight angle that may have been enough to prevent contact on a couple of pins and loss of data but it has been fine ever since. And make sure to insert it past the bump.

It probably won't make any difference but try it without any controllers connected.

If you are using a S-video or SCART cable try RF.

If you only have one cart and can pick up another cart cheaply try that in case the problem is with the cart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bummer.

It's possible that the pins in the cart connector have been weakened.

In which case just try jiggling the cart a bit or pulling it out or to either side slightly as was suggested above.

Only a matter of time though before the slot is no longer any use at all.

You can get replacement cart connectors for the Jag, but it's supposedly a boss level install.

If course, it could be something completely different that is the issue.

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2019 at 4:23 AM, madman said:

Can you look inside with a flash light and see if any of the pins are bent or otherwise messed up? Usually a cleaning will get you where you need to be unless there's some physical damage to the connector itself.

I looked closely at the pins. I didn't see any damage. They look clean and bright. They don't appear to be bent in any way either. 

On 7/16/2019 at 12:16 AM, Gummy Bear said:

Bummer.

It's possible that the pins in the cart connector have been weakened.

In which case just try jiggling the cart a bit or pulling it out or to either side slightly as was suggested above.

Only a matter of time though before the slot is no longer any use at all.

You can get replacement cart connectors for the Jag, but it's supposedly a boss level install.

If course, it could be something completely different that is the issue.

After further research, and with the help of everyone's suggestions on here, I decided to send it back. I do intend on getting one soon. I'll keep an eye out for a good bundle on Ebay. Thanks everyone for your input and support!