IGNORED

XEGS - Button Spring Arrangement

displaced

Hi,

I'm done with my refurbishment and VBXE install on my XEGS and am putting the thing back together.

One tiny hiccup, which I blame on me not paying enough attention during disassembly:

I can't figure out how the power button spring is meant to be fitted!

After disassembly, I have a total of 6 spings:

• 4x Large, flared springs
  • 1x Small, flared spring
  • 1x Small, straight spring.

Now, the 4 are for the Start/Select/Option/Reset buttons.  The one small straight spring is from the joystick fire button, which leaves the smaller flared spring for the power button.

But for the life of me I can't get it to sit right!  It seems to just fall down over the power switch and the button sits low in the top case no matter what way up it sits.

If some kind soul knows off the top of their head, or wouldn't mind peeking in their own XEGS, it'd be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

I've taken apart 4 or more XE's and oddly enough, each one of them were different. Some had springs on all, some had them randomly placed on only 1 or 2 buttons, and the sizes were also random.

Could be wrong, but I honestly think the springs were used on units as a quick fix during production where tolerances with the switches were not met. Instead of replacing the switches, they add springs.

*shakes fist angrily at Atari through the mists of time*

I should've guessed that'd be the situation :)

Without a spring at all on my XEGS's power button, it sits really low in its recess.  So there must've been something there.  But after your info, I'm wondering if the smaller spring might've come from one of the four front buttons, with one of the bigger springs under the power button...

Although having said that, I think the smaller spring would fall through the inner hole of the top case.  That's why I thought it was for the power switch - thought maybe it anchored to the silver post on that switch (which the other four don't have - they're just black plastic).

Hmmm....

Hmmm -- well the XEGS's power button pushes a big metal mechanical switch, rather than the small black rubber-dome switches under the other XEGS buttons.  So it feels quite different anyway.

I've been scouring Google and Youtube for teardown pics/vids.  No-one seems to remove the buttons, which is frustrating!

I don't want to keep experimenting too much - the latches on the buttons which hold them in place are likely to be a bit brittle with age and I'd hate for one to snap.

I think I'll keep my fingers crossed that another XEGS owner wouldn't mind confirming how their machine's power button is installed.  That, or keep looking at it and wait for inspiration!

Thanks for your help though guys...  It's a bit funny that I got through the ANTIC desoldering, VBXE install and RGB output install without any problems or breakage, but am falling down on a stupid button! :D 

Ah-ha!

My genius (read: pokey-fingered) wife comes to the rescue again (after helping fix the Option switch).

The smaller spring needs sits with its wide end around the bit of X-shaped plastic on the underside of the button.  Then she noticed that the narrow-end of the spring was a bit out of shape.  It's meant to sit on top of the metal post of the power switch without falling down it. 

Bent the narrow bit back, reassembled, and perfect!

I'll take a few snaps for my other thread showing the finished article (and the amazing video output of the VBXE!)

• Like 1