IGNORED

Canadian Intellivision Carnival in white box

BigDumer

3 hours ago, BigDumer said:

I saw your original comment and I will say that the variants do make Intellvision collecting interesting.  Originally I was gong for the 125 and when I bought a big lot and discovered the difference between Mattel and Intellivision Inc. games.  So they were added to the list.  I knew about the Canadian versions so I added those.  It's a slippery slope.  I do have some of the major box variants (Red Action Network Space Armada and Space Battle, Blue Action Network Space Armada, different Demon Attack cover) but then I see trayless vs. plastic tray, book-style vs. bottom flap, carts from USA vs. Hong Kong, Intellivision Inc. stickers over Mattel labels on carts etc.  And that's not even getting to UK or Brazil versions!

The other part that is great about Intellivision collecting is that, unless you have a very advanced collection, there is always an opportunity to upgrade a box, a cart, a manual, an overlay. Though knowlege of the variants hurts here.  At the start if I had duplicates, I'd just make the best version possible with the assets from each one.  Now I'm all, "Well, I can't put a Hong Kong cart in a box that originally had the USA cart so I guess I'll keep both."  This is how it starts, isn't it?

Well said, I was much the same when I started and now I am rather OCD about how they go together.  I have sold lots of my collection but I have documented each item I had with pics and lists so it is nice to go back and see what I have owned and loved. If you ever need a pic of a variant to check for correctness or condition please let me know. Now that I'm not actively collecting I now have a bit of time every now and then to spend on research of Intellivision in general.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was sorting through my duplicates/trade pile and noticed that the US "Plays like the real arcade game" Donkey Kong has that some hang tab format as my mystery Carnival. So, as Lathe26 suggested, the mystery Carnival box appears to be a regular Coleco box, with no printing.  This does make me think that this was made by Coleco and not some flunky at the Bay department store.

IMG_7843.thumb.jpg.923262e42ee1d3bee4e3afb6fd028b3a.jpg.  IMG_7862.thumb.jpg.437e0d961dd60cc19426d0d7e4594ef9.jpg

Black-Tiger's comment that he had one of these but recently sold it is especially interesting since apparently he is in Vancouver too.  I suppose it's possible that they are the same copy, but the guy I bought mine from said that the lot had been sitting in the family garage for 30 years.

Hope nobody minds me adding to this thread as I learn more.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I recently joined the Facebook group, Intellivision Retro Game buy and sell.  After making my first purchase today, I scrolled through the history of posts and came across this post from Feb 2018:

IMG_8015.thumb.jpg.3f41398b04967bebf4a1d69029c16449.jpg

It's blurry, but that box at the top is definitely the same white Carnival box that I found. This seller is in Saskatchewan, Canada. So, it appears as though this was some kind of limited, but real release of Carnival in Canada.

I didn't have the guts to message the guy and ask if he ever sold this lot from 1.5 years ago....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BigDumer said:

I recently joined the Facebook group, Intellivision Retro Game buy and sell.  After making my first purchase today, I scrolled through the history of posts and came across this post from Feb 2018:

IMG_8015.thumb.jpg.3f41398b04967bebf4a1d69029c16449.jpg

It's blurry, but that box at the top is definitely the same white Carnival box that I found. This seller is in Saskatchewan, Canada. So, it appears as though this was some kind of limited, but real release of Carnival in Canada.

I didn't have the guts to message the guy and ask if he ever sold this lot from 1.5 years ago....

Nice. Sharp eyes. Now we just need to find a DK version. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, Kamikazi26 said:

I found another one that went through a local auction. These things are out there!

https://maxsold.maxsold.com/auction/19689/item/1867881/?utm_campaign=kijiji&utm_source=kijiji&utm_medium=cpc

Wow, that’s great, thanks for sharing!

Next we need to find the backstory on these things. Why the plain white box? Why only Carnival?

@Kamikazi26 You mentioned that someone told you that they bought Coleco Intellivision games in plain white boxes from a Coleco factory (in Montreal?).

On 11/26/2019 at 9:00 PM, BigDumer said:

Wow, that’s great, thanks for sharing!

Next we need to find the backstory on these things. Why the plain white box? Why only Carnival?

@Kamikazi26 You mentioned that someone told you that they bought Coleco Intellivision games in plain white boxes from a Coleco factory (in Montreal?).

Yeah. I was made aware that back in the day, Coleco retail outlet store in Montreal would sell games in white generic (un-printed) boxes. These just had a Manual and cart installed, box sealed and a b&w label slapped on the front. These games were sold at a discounted rate. You could just walk in and buy some directly from Coleco.

This was the story I was told. Being Canadian and living in close proximity to Montreal, I have seen a few now. I’ll keep my eyes out for more (and hopefully something other than carnival). 

4 hours ago, Kamikazi26 said:

Yeah. I was made aware that back in the day, Coleco retail outlet store in Montreal would sell games in white generic (un-printed) boxes. These just had a Manual and cart installed, box sealed and a b&w label slapped on the front. These games were sold at a discounted rate. You could just walk in and buy some directly from Coleco.

This is really interesting but it does lead to more questions:

• The one I found has a price sticker from The Bay department store. Yours above has a "G.A.M.E.S. Unlimited" sticker with a price that indicates it was sold new. While these might have been available at the Coleco outlet, it appears as though at least some were also shipped to retailers.
  • If the Coleco retail outlet store sold many (all?) of their games in generic white boxes then I would expect to find other examples besides Carnival.

14 minutes ago, BigDumer said:

This is really interesting but it does lead to more questions:

• The one I found has a price sticker from The Bay department store. Yours above has a "G.A.M.E.S. Unlimited" sticker with a price that indicates it was sold new. While these might have been available at the Coleco outlet, it appears as though at least some were also shipped to retailers.
  • If the Coleco retail outlet store sold many (all?) of their games in generic white boxes then I would expect to find other examples besides Carnival.

Maybe when the shut down, they liquidated all their inventory and they made it through the market that way? 

Unsure....

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Kamikazi26 said:

Just found another one in a recently purchased lot. 

chances are that I’ll put one of them up for sale on my website. I don’t need two. 

Wow, that box is in great shape. Even with the little tear at the top it looks to be the best one of the 3 currently in the hands of AA collectors!

Haha, I just bought two 'regular' Carnival variants off your site today - it's going to show up on the Best Sellers list!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, BigDumer said:

Wow, that box is in great shape. Even with the little tear at the top it looks to be the best one of the 3 currently in the hands of AA collectors!

Haha, I just bought two 'regular' Carnival variants off your site today - it's going to show up on the Best Sellers list!

I bought a Carnival this month from him as well.  Just for the manual.  Mine didn't have one.  Carnival is rare now because one of the Intellivisionairies thinks they are Pokemon and was trying to collect them all around Christmas.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Since this thread has been referenced, I thought I'd update with the latest (as far as I know) list of White Box FC Carnivals.

As of September 4, 2021 I have seen pictures of 5, but 6 have been reported by AA members.

FiveWhiteCarnivals.thumb.jpg.823960c7695f502ad68e078b30b16880.jpg

From Left to Right:

1) BigDumer bought in a lot in Vancouver. Traded to Cmart.

2) BigDumer spotted it on an old Facebook auction. Kamikazi26 tracked it down and bought from a pawn shop in Saskatchewan. Was then sold on IntellivisionCollector to a collector.

3) Kamikazi26 saw this on a maxsold auction in Toronto, buyer is unknown.

4) Kamikazi26 bought in a lot. Presumably he still owns because...look at it...it's sexy!

5) Posted by Morpheus (in the Variants thread) from an etsy auction. Kamikazi26 knows the buyer.

6) [NO PICTURE] Cmart found in the Vancouver region.

• Like 3

Update: September 5, 2021: Added an owner of #5 and a picture of #6.

AllWhiteCarnivals_02.thumb.jpg.6849f3690390af669453ef540714f1da.jpg

From Left to Right:

1) BigDumer bought in a lot in Vancouver. Traded to Cmart604.

2) BigDumer spotted it on an old Facebook auction. Kamikazi26 tracked it down and bought from a pawn shop in Saskatchewan. Was then sold on IntellivisionCollector to a collector.

4) Kamikazi26 bought in a lot. Presumably he still owns it because...look at it...it's sexy!

5) BBWW bought on an etsy auction.

6) Cmart604 found in the Vancouver region.

2 hours ago, BigDumer said:

Update: September 5, 2021: Added an owner of #5 and a picture of #6.

AllWhiteCarnivals_02.thumb.jpg.6849f3690390af669453ef540714f1da.jpg

From Left to Right:

1) BigDumer bought in a lot in Vancouver. Traded to Cmart604.

4) Kamikazi26 bought in a lot. Presumably he still owns it because...look at it...it's sexy!

5) BBWW bought on an etsy auction.

6) Cmart604 found in the Vancouver region.

Consistently crappy boxes FTW! ?

• Haha 1