IGNORED

Sio2pc-via usb

Mike82

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can point me to a site that sells sio2usb cord, that is at a reasonable price that I don't have to splice and solder? Also, does anyone know if the chip can be generic or if it has to be a legit " ftdi chip"? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Hahaha, I was waiting for Mathy to appear... ;-)

We are all magicians, we only need to say "SIO2USB" and use it intentionally in false context (SIO2PC-USB) and Mathy will appear for sure... ;-) If you have not heard from Mathy for a while or if you want to test if Pawlow's method still works, say the magic word "SIO2USB"... and tada, he appears... ;-)  Maybe he is living in a magic lamp and when someone says "SIO2USB" he must appear, just like a genie... ;-)

(I hope I used enough smileys, so that everyone notices this is not meant seriously, but as a funny anecdote.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Hey guys, quick update I was searching last night finally found what I was looking for. A company out of New York has the Sio2pc-via usb amigaonthelake.com/sio2pc-usb. Just thought I would let other members know in case they're interested. Ps would of bought from lotharek's site but shipping cost is crazy.

16 minutes ago, Mike82 said:

A company out of New York has the Sio2pc-via usb amigaonthelake.com/sio2pc-usb. Just thought I would let other members know in case they're interested. Ps would of bought from lotharek's site but shipping cost is crazy.

Interesting. That is Lotharek's product.

4 hours ago, Mike82 said:

Hopefully he bought a whole bunch from lotharek at a discount and reselling them in the states.

Looking at the website, it also lists SIO2SD devices, Side 2, U1MB, etc. The images have Lotharek’s name on them. 

Either he’s a forger on a global scale or he’s importing product from Lotharek using the bulk discount and reselling here. I’m guessing the latter option. The prices look the same as buying a single device from Lotharek. However, as previously mentioned, the shipping should be much cheaper from the US. 

Obviously, I have no opinion on the reseller since I’ve never bought any product from the site. 

Bob C 

If he's a bulk reseller, it's strange that in the video on the SIO2PC page he is unable to even pronounce the OEM's name. :) All the product descriptions appear to be direct cut-and-paste jobs from Lotharek's site.

Hopefully he is not selling U1MB and SIDE2 with anything but the original (Candle) firmware on them. If anyone knows otherwise, I would be interested to hear about it.

• Like 1

If you listen closely, the guy in the video got his stuff from lotharek.pl

He (the guy in the video) has nothing to do with this (re?)seller.

Edit: ehm, I think so, but not 100% sure offcourse :D

Edit2: BTW "through the grapevine" I heard this anecdote that Lotharek is called Lotharek because he was always soldering stuff for everyone at parties. Lot(h) means Lead. Lotharek means something like Solderer. One that's soldering :)

And a few years ago somebody started a thread about having bought a 'lotharek' and wanted to know how to use it. He meant a(n) SIO2SD :)

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

Hopefully he is not selling U1MB and SIDE2 with anything but the original (Candle) firmware on them. If anyone knows otherwise, I would be interested to hear about it.

Based on the pricing, it matches the Candle firmware price. I’d be surprised if he’s selling it with your firmware. He could be manually updating the boards with your firmware, but I doubt he’s going to that effort. 

Bob C

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mike82 said:

A company out of New York has the Sio2pc-via usb amigaonthelake.com/sio2pc-usb.

How are his shipping prices?  I might think about ordering some of Lotharek's stuff from him if the shipping prices are more reasonable than getting it sent to the US from Poland. 

10 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Why don't you ask Lotharek is amigaonthelake is reselling his stuff with his approval?

I do know that Lotharek sometimes sells items in bulk to outside resellers.  My SIO2SD is a Lotharek board inside of a 3rd party 3D printed case.  Before I bought it, I made an inquiry to the seller and he freely said that he buys a number of boards at one time from Lotharek and then adds his own cases and SIO cables.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@thread

We don't always have time to read all websites that pertain to a particular topic. And I also notice from the postings here some lack of familiarity with the business being discussed.

In that vein I hope the following will be informative: at approximately 21:45 mark in the following there is a nice introduction of who AmigaontheLake is and how they hope their future will evolve.

Video courtesy: Doug at 10 Minute Amiga Retro Cast

In addition you might be interested in reading about their retro show activities:

https://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=43155&forum=16#825414

The show title is a bit of a misnomer, as the show included many platforms. He continues (as you can tell from the utube vid) to add more Atari items as time passes.

I believe he would be interested in receiving feedback as to what other items he might carry that folks would like to see.

I saw this website a while ago mentioned on Facebook. People said they had ordered from him and stuff turned up as expected and no one had any complaints. Seems he's legit whoever he is, just odd to see him spring out of nowhere like this with a bunch of Lotharek kit!

No sign of Rapidus though ? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2019 at 8:48 AM, flashjazzcat said:

amigaonthelake.com

I saw on his website a request for feedback on what to add next.  Might be worth voting for VBXE and/or Rapidus would get those available too.  I don't have an 800 anymore and the Incognito won't fit the 400 so I don't have any skin in that game but it couldn't hurt to inform this guy that they exist.