IGNORED

BCD issue

easmith

This is a dumb question I'm sure , but I am having trouble with a BCD calculation.

I am using the Collect Tutorial 2 digit score display , which uses BCD encoded values.

In the past , all of the numbers I have used have been obtainable by 

sed

clc 

lda numberbcd

adc #10   ( some fixed value) 

sta numberbcd

But now I am trying to subtract two variables and store as BCD. No combination I have tried works.   ( having both BCD before arithmetic or converting after ) 

Any help would be appreciated !

ES

44 minutes ago, easmith said:

sed

clc 

lda numberbcd

adc #10   ( some fixed value) 

sta numberbcd

Not exactly your question, but I figured I'd point out that for BCD operations you use the hex representations of the decimal numbers. So "ADC #$10" instead of "ADC 10". The latter will mess up your BCD math for any operand greater than 9. (since $0=0, $1=1, ..., $9=9)

Subtraction with BCD math isn't any more complicated than addition (use SEC instead of CLC), so I'm wondering if your problem isn't with the issue I've mentioned above.

Yup...gotta be $hex values only.   Decimal mode then treats $00 - $99 as base 10 values 0 - 99.  You also cannot use any other method other than ADC and SBC when doing your math (unless you know for a fact that it won't result in a carry or borrow from either column).

Variables, Rom data, registers, doesn't matter.  They need to contain numeric digits only when being used for BCD.  Those that hold values only up to 9 could be safe in certain cases when BCD is not invoked (when it's guaranteed that a carry or borrow isn't going to happen to/from the 1's column in the result).

If X or Y do contain $hex values, you'd need to convert them to decimal before BCD arithmetic.  It might be easier to use a conversion table in Rom for such a case.  It's wiser just not to use those specific variables for anything BUT decimal mode, so no conversion is necessary.