IGNORED

Sokoban

Andrew Davie

Here's a sneak preview of just some of the absolutely fantastic sprite animations that @NostAlgae37 has done for me. Aren't they great?  This gives a whole new personality to the game, and I'm stoked that such small sprites can look so good. Top job NostAlgae37, thank you!

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

Here's a sneak preview of just some of the absolutely fantastic sprite animations that @NostAlgae37 has done for me. Aren't they great?  This gives a whole new personality to the game, and I'm stoked that such small sprites can look so good. Top job NostAlgae37, thank you!

Thanks, you are too kind.  The truth is I enjoy working with smart and talented people, and contributing to something lasting that the public can enjoy.  I felt compelled to step up to make certain that a game of such outstanding quality as this will realize its full potential.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NostAlgae37 said:

No, I'm afraid that's just a yellow ball cap with an upturned brim.  Welcome to the world of low-res graphics made with double-wide pixels, they require you to stretch your imagination.  ;-)

I was imagining he was wearing a mining helmet with a reflector!

Well, I've implemented this pretty weird concept called "ethnicity". It's where the player comes in all races, colours, lifestyle choices, and sense of clothing style. In other words, the player can be any colour. The way the system works is that colours are translated on-the-fly - this is the only way I could reasonably see having so many animation frames be both independently coloured AND NTSC/PAL compatible. So, every frame the system looks up the colour conversions for the frame. And because it does this, it allows me to have selectable colour configurations at run-time. So in this binary I just cycle at each level between the 4 "ethnicities" that I have installed so far. They are not making any statements or assumptions about stereotypes. These are just colours that looked OK on a first pass. Eventually in the final game I hope to be able to let you choose which one you play with.

This is the first released version with @NostAlgae37's animations/sprites. I have added a few minor frames here and there, but kept the basic look-and-feel of the originals. Of course the player won't be moving around like a hot potato in the final version - at the moment he's just showing off his full range of movements.

sokoboo_SOURCE_CODE_20190815.zip sokoboo_20190815.bin

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Andrew Davie said:

Well, I've implemented this pretty weird concept called "ethnicity". It's where the player comes in all races, colours, lifestyle choices, and sense of clothing style. In other words, the player can be any colour. The way the system works is that colours are translated on-the-fly - this is the only way I could reasonably see having so many animation frames be both independently coloured AND NTSC/PAL compatible. So, every frame the system looks up the colour conversions for the frame. And because it does this, it allows me to have selectable colour configurations at run-time. So in this binary I just cycle at each level between the 4 "ethnicities" that I have installed so far. They are not making any statements or assumptions about stereotypes. These are just colours that looked OK on a first pass. Eventually in the final game I hope to be able to let you choose which one you play with.

This is the first released version with @NostAlgae37's animations/sprites. I have added a few minor frames here and there, but kept the basic look-and-feel of the originals. Of course the player won't be moving around like a hot potato in the final version - at the moment he's just showing off his full range of movements.

sokoboo_SOURCE_CODE_20190815.zip 370.6 kB · 2 downloads sokoboo_20190815.bin 32 kB · 2 downloads

Can't wait to try this!

Edited by hizzy
  • Like 1

Looks really great. Very nice fonts, this coloured "Sokoboo" font looks like it is from a C64 or Atari-800 demo. Really nice. Also the player-sprite looks good and has great animations. Looks like it will be a very good game in the final version. I am looking forward to this. :thumbsup:

In a bit of a rough/slow patch at the moment. I've figured how the level/select is going to work. From absolutely anywhere at anytime in the game, you can hit the select key. Including from the title screen. This takes you straight to the level display/select screen - which is basically shown at the start of each level anyway. But it has two modes - 1) a simple level display, but 2) a level # selector. I've put a question-mark to the right of the level number, which is how I'm going to indicate that you need to change the level. Changing simply involves left/right/up/down, with left/right changing level number by +/-1 and up/down by +/-10. Then button to start.

So in normal usage, you don't see the question mark. And as you go from level to level, the level number is shown in this screen. But if you hit select, as I said, at any time at all (including mid-game), then you get to the level select screen with the question-mark, and there you can edit/change the level to play the one you want.

But, as I said, I'm having a bit of a rough patch, almost like I've forgotten how to program.  So, just a quick preview of how it's looking...

• Like 2

Here's another version.

Remember, next level = Select, and restart level = Reset

Use button press/release for "take back"

Hold button and press direction to "look around"

I've added the level screen display.

I've also completely redone the colours - i realised that the Z26 palette did not show darks very well, so everything was darker than it should have been in the standard palette. Things should be nice and bright now.

I wrote a quick macro that did colour conversions for me, so the colours should all be the same NTSC or PAL.

Select NTSC/PAL with the right difficulty switch, and re-load the ROM

There are 4 different colour schemes for the backgrounds, and separately 4 different colour schemes for the player.

The sample videos show a PAL version and an NTSC version. I go through the first 5 levels.

NTSC...

PAL...

Feedback welcome!

sokoboo_20190822.bin

Edited by Andrew Davie
to deepen the mystery of what was there before
  • Like 2