IGNORED

Sokoban

Andrew Davie

6 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

I'm fairly idle at the moment. Kind of waiting on things to happen... here and there.
So, I thought I'd have a go at another title screen.... because.... why not

1703029556_ScreenShot2019-10-15at1_43_14am.thumb.png.81445adc0b2839c485ab3dd6e58b7873.png

Really like this one.  If there’s ever a cartridge, I’d like to see this become the label art. ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

Here you go - Sokoboo Special Union Edition - aim is to complete the levels as slowly as humanly possible.

I laughed!  And am very flattered to be singled out this way.

In truth, I think unions are great, but there are times when the stereotype is appropriate...

Here's a binary with the new title screen.  I put some tiles down on the floor. I think it looks OK.

If anyone can do some off-screen images for me, I would be grateful.

218144565_ScreenShot2019-10-15at8_08_05pm.thumb.png.50bf59f2d0772f60c7cb197fd392765d.png1386388361_ScreenShot2019-10-15at10_29_07pm.thumb.png.f0aef36b53e98baf015c0251b569976b.png

sokoboo_20151015.bin

Edited by Andrew Davie
There are about 2730 colour variations (two shown). Of those, about 20% look OK.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Weirdness ahead!
Ignore the glitch around the head of the guy sitting at the top. Timing was tricky to do this, and it's really only a look-see, so I'm not worried about fixing it. What this video shows is a random selection of the range of colours available through this interleaved chronocolour (TM) system. Basically, it's really really weird. There are 3 lines per pixel, and the colour on each of those 3 lines is different. By having pixels on/off on those 3 lines, we get a total of 8 colours. But those 8 colours are ONLY colours formed by combinations of the original 3. Blended. Maybe. If we have line 1 on, and line 3 on, then technically we'd get a blend of colour 1 + colour 3. But there's a blank line between them, so the blend isn't exactly the same as if line 1 and line 2 were used. But it gets weirder... because the blend also happens with "line 4" which is actually line 1 of the next ICC picel. IF it's on. Anyway, there are a whole lot of factors influencing the colours you actually see - and it's pretty much impossible to "choose" the 8 colours. You just choose 3 (one for each line) and then see what you luck out with as far as the blending goes.
So, this video is just randomly changing each of the 3 colours... and displaying the title screen. Effectively we get a subset of the range of colour combinations that are possible. There are 16x15x14 (=3360) according to my calculations. And that's just changing hue -- intensity is fixed. Some are great, some are horrible. Somehow there has to be a way to select a good "palette" for this system. Haven't found it yet, other than trial-and-error.

• Like 1

Bricks. Some fine sub-pixel changes - remember, pixels are 3-lines deep. I'm achieving 1-line resolution by using "wrong" colour pixels. I tried to make each of the guys look a little different. But mostly the bricks, this version. Still fiddling while rome burns...

1102229283_ScreenShot2019-10-17at7_00_07am.thumb.png.113fa6f748b7181e4c0dea6071e7e111.png

Edited by Andrew Davie
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Well, a bit of a hiatus - but really just on idle waiting for some work to come in.
First there's the online high score table - that will be cool. It allows any Sokoboo cart owners to enter their high scores (using the 12-digit codes) and enter their initials. So you can, in effect, "compete" for the highest score against other owners. 
Second, the plan is to have an embedded '2600 emulator in a web page that automatically connects to the high score table, so you don't need to muck around with the 12-digit code. It will automatically be passed. That's going to be pretty cool.
Third, I'm midway through support for the PlusCart - an internet enabled '2600 multicart.  In this incarnation (well, it's all the same cart/code, just auto-configuring to the online emulator/regular cart/pluscart as applicable)... the Pluscart will automatically enter your high scores on the online high score table. If you've "registered" your Pluscart, then your initials/name will automatically be entered, otherwise your PlusCart ident.

Fourth, on the PlusCart, it will download new levels. We could have a "level of the week" or simply completely new sets of levels downloaded as you play. You could, say, choose "Easy sets" for the kids, or ... well, you get the idea.
And finally, I'm patiently waiting on the new music. Good things come to those who wait, right :) . I think the music is going to be very good indeed.
So, that's about it. We're not in a hurry, are we.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

Well, a bit of a hiatus - but really just on idle waiting for some work to come in.
First there's the online high score table - that will be cool. It allows any Sokoboo cart owners to enter their high scores (using the 12-digit codes) and enter their initials. So you can, in effect, "compete" for the highest score against other owners. 

Is Sokoboo available for buying?

I didn't find it at AA store.

25 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

In a possible world-first, Sokoboo (running on the PlusCart) can now download new levels from the internet! Tested and working!!

Furthermore, !!!!!

This is incredible! Amazing, even!

Just one question...

What's an "internet"? ;)

Edited by Nathan Strum
No reason. I just like typing things in this little box.

11 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

In a possible world-first, Sokoboo (running on the PlusCart) can now download new levels from the internet! Tested and working!!

Furthermore, !!!!!

I'm not quite sure if it's "world-first", maybe GameLine had something like this already:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GameLine