IGNORED

LiteDOS 2.06 now available.

mr-atari

Version 2.06 is now available for download.

I added the check that the second character after the command must be <space> or <valid drive-id>.
Fixing potentially mayhem when, still in DUP, any user-input starting with a valid command-letter giving undesired results....

Also I added a small executable that can turn LiteDOS disks in automatically load/run BASIC-programs.

SMALL: uses only 2k RAM, 4k more free memory, even (XL/XE-64k) 8k more when using Turbo Basic !
EFFICIENT: 1016 FreeSectors on a MD disk or 700 FreeSectors on a SD disk !
FAST: boots in 2-3 seconds.
SIMPLE: load/copy files wasn't this easy.
COMPATIBLE: reads Atari DOS 2.0 2.5 MyDOS and other compatible disks.
The file-format of a LiteDOS-disk is readable by DOS 2.0/2.5/MyDOS and clones.

http://www.mr-atari.com/Mr.Atari/LiteDOS/

Edited by mr-atari
  • Like 8

Hi Mr-Atari!

On 7/15/2019 at 5:03 AM, mr-atari said:

Version 2.06 is now available for download.

I added the check that the second character after the command must be <space> or <valid drive-id>.
Fixing potentially mayhem when, still in DUP, any user-input starting with a valid command-letter giving undesired results....

Went to your page, and downloaded v2.07, but the changelog text does not list any other change... ¿typo in the post title, or really a new version?

Have Fun!

Hi again!

On 7/15/2019 at 5:03 AM, mr-atari said:

Also I added a small executable that can turn LiteDOS disks in automatically load/run BASIC-programs.

This is bigger than needed, using two sectors instead of one making boot a little slower :)

Attached is the same but shortened to 119 bytes, MADS source and XEX.

Have fun!

runbas.asm runbas.xex

• Like 2

Thanks!

yes, the "One character" commands did not work in 2.06, due to the second character being <EOL>

Rather an embarrassing error....

But not as nasty as the ENTER"D:FILE.LST"-bug while still in DUP with 2.05 ;-) 

Change-log,

Added:
Second character in a DUP-command must be valid, <space>/<number>/<EOL>

Need to check your runbas.xex, the one included was created with the DOS 2.5 setup.

Currently coding a spin-off "LiteDOS-XS" for floppy SD/MD only. ?

Later !

Edited by mr-atari

LiteDOS 2.07 and -XS are now available on my homepage.

XS are two templates of empty disks in SD and MD format.

DUP uses only numbers (DIR) or RETURN (load).

If needed use LiteDOS to copy executable-files on them.

But LOAD/ENTER/SAVE/LIST works just fine.

Enjoy and don't forget to report any bugs or issues.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

LiteDOS and LiteDOS-XS both boot and run on a real 800 with just 8K.  BASIC has 2830 and 3854 bytes available, respectively.

I don't have a practical use for this ability I was just curious because I think I remember 8K 400s were originally planned.  I can't remember if they ever saw the light of day.

• Like 3

but the point is it gets DOS on those machines AND gets more software running on the common 32k and 52k/48k Atari 800's and 400 flavor(a bit less available actually). This is great to get programs more room on the later 64k(62k) and 128k(126k) Atari XL XE machines as well. More memory free is a good thing.

On 7/23/2019 at 6:42 PM, zork said:

I like that minimalist approach. But why you named a "reset/reboot" command "p"?  It is not a true power cycle but rather a reset/reboot so IMHO it should be named "r".

Because it calls the Atari-OS routine that does Power-up ?

• Like 1

The OS will initialise just the same either way (assuming you've taken the time to nuke the correct bytes). This is how the Ultimate 1MB causes the operating system to cold-boot when one leaves the BIOS setup menu with the 'C' key. Of course there may be situations or peripherals (i.e. cartridges, PBI devices) which won't reinitialise properly without the system being power-cycled. But the OS - when reinitialising - only knows whether the system is in a previously initialised state or not.

Edited by flashjazzcat
Numerous errors
  • Like 1

Think I found a bug in the File Number that's used for Sector Links.

On Sector 361 of your 2.07 ATR, you have File Numbers 0 to 7, but on Sector 362 LITE850.DRV shows File Number 16 in the sector links and HUNT.BAS shows File Number 17 in the sector links.  What happened to File Numbers 8 to 15???

Thanks for the bug-report.
I get to it as soon as possible.

Info: LiteDOS does not use this file-ID anyway, so that is OK.
But if you want to read the file with a DOS2-compatible, it will error out with a mismatch.

I have an update anyway, since the functions PUT # or PRINT # are broken.
So I add the File-ID to the todo-list.

Sijmen.

2.08 now online.

Request for wildcard copy, instead of only doing the first file found that matches.

I'll work on that and see where it goes, since there is no free memory to code....

Fixed:
Commands bypassing CIOV, like BASIC's PUT # and PRINT #.
File-ID, used for DOS2-compatibility.

Added:
Sectors 1-15 are now reserved as "bootsectors" on SD-disks.
Exception is MD-disks, where sectors 1 + 1026-1039 are reserved.
Sectors 1-10 are reserved on DD-disks.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2019 at 2:38 AM, mr-atari said:

Hi

I was giving LiteDOS 2.08 a try. I'm using it to try to free up some more memory for use within Turbo BASIC XL. The problem is that when I check free memory with ?fre(0) its the same with LiteDOS as it is with AtariDOS 2.5. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I created a LiteDOS formatted disk then copied the TurboBASIC executable to the newly created disk from withing LiteDOS and then ran it. Any ideas? This is all within Altirra.

Thanks

The amount of program memory available with TBXL is fixed since the interpreter resides at the bottom of memory as well as at the top. In any case, unless a program is solely intended for use with a particular DOS, relying on an unusually low MEMLO will make it impossible to run the program in any other environment.

Hi!

1 hour ago, gobo said:

Thanks for the answer. Makes sense. I guess I was looking for a free lunch. :)

There is no free lunch.... but included with LiteDOS there is a version of TurboBasicXL assembled at a lower address, so it gives you more memory.

If you want to make one yourself, just download the sources at https://github.com/dmsc/turbo-dis , and assemble with mads -d:tb_fixes -d:tb_lowmem=32 for the default of $2000, or with  mads -d:tb_fixes -d:tb_lowmem=16 for a version starting at $1000, this will give you 4KB more of RAM. As you guessed, the number if the starting page of the assembled binary.

Have Fun!

• Like 2

That's great! It works  perfectly with LiteDOS 2.03, the last version I downloaded. I also tried it with the latest LiteDOS 2.08 but after it loads TBXL it drops back to LiteDOS's "1" prompt. Not sure if there's a bug in the newer version or if I did something wrong. Thanks again for the help!

On 10/15/2019 at 12:46 AM, gobo said:

Actually I tried LitDOS 2.08 with TBXL again but  this time using the TBXL.XEX file from the LiteDOS 2.05 ATR and it works. I guess there is something wrong with the TBXL.XEX file on the LiteDOS2.08 ATR and nothing wrong with LiteDOS 2.08 itself.

Ok, I will check.

Been away for some time (on my hols), I did not check AA for a while.

If needed, here is a version compiled by DMSC at $0c00 for LiteDOS-XS

You can take/use the compiler and runtime from the 2.08 disk.

Plans are to upload the read-only version of LiteDOS soon.

It can read only, so for games/apps that need to load files, or as gamedos.

Memlo will be $0a00 for this version.

Need to shuffle some routines around to make it work with overwriting programs, avoiding the loading routines....

Grtz,

Sijmen.

tb-0C.com

• Like 1

Yes, you are right.

Somehow the version of TBXL I have put on the download does not want to start.

Very strange.....

I will remove the download an upload a new one later this weekend.

In the mean-time, here is the TBXL loading at $1000 I got from DMSC.

That should have been on the disk and works just fine.

Again, very strange....

tb-10.com