IGNORED

LiteDOS 2.06 now available.

mr-atari

Ok, fixed, current download will give you 38k free RAM.

In the LiteDOS zip-file you find 2 other TBXL versions, compiled at $1100 and $1200.

This is for users who want to reserve RAM for other things, like drivers or own usage.

Again, Thanks to DMSC for the TBXL-versions.

GOBO: Thanks for the report.

image.png.fcb5cb1baf1fb7d9945be0e84462f6e0.png

• Like 2

Hmmm,

I don't think this is a bug of LiteDOS... but anyways...

You can load the TB XL Compiler from LiteDOS without problems. But if you try to exit with Control-D (exit to DOS), then you get an Error 168 and the system hangs (Control-R, reboots fine however). Maybe the Compiler tries to do a direct jump into DOS 2.5 (or into DUP of DOS 2.5) and this does not work with LiteDOS ?!? Can someone take a look, please...?!?

LiteDOS_Compiler2.aviLiteDOS_Compiler.avi

• 3 weeks later...

No, it's not a bug, and it does not hang either.

TBXL jumps back into DUP with Y set to 168.

LiteDOS sees Y<>1 as an error.....

Plus LiteDOS/DUP does not opens E:, assuming a clean gr.0 layout, this leaving the screen set to the last application.

Sneak preview:

LiteDOS 3.00 will have LZ4 decompression build-in the file loading routines.
There will be a LiteDUP available that runs separate from LiteDOS.

The "DUP" inside LiteDOS will be available for loading and directory listings only.

I expect to have this uploaded December or early 2020.

?

Edited by mr-atari
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, flashjazzcat said:

We are talking about JMP ($0A) here? You throw an error there?

No, it's a RTS back to DUP.

JMP($0A) points to DUPDUP

"Fake error-message" ;-)

;-------------------------------------------------------------------
;	LOAD FILE

DUPLOA	JSR	BLOAD		;RETURN (RTS) HERE WHEN NO RUN-ADDRESS

;	DUP ENTRY, CHECK ERRORS

DUPV	JSR	DUPBAD		;SHOW ERROR-CODE

DUPDUP	LDA	#EDBUF&$FF	;ALL IO, EDBUF
	STA	ICBAL
	LDA	#EDBUF/256
	STA	ICBAH

Edited by mr-atari

29 minutes ago, mr-atari said:

No, it's a RTS back to DUP.

Odd. When I run the TBXL compiler I have here (v.1.1) and select 'Return to DOS', the application performs a 'JMP (DOSVEC)', as does the interpreter. I imagine that since the applications are resistant to system RESET, the stack is unlikely to still contain the DOS return address (which it doesn't). Not that it makes much difference anyway: ending an application with RTS normally accomplishes the exact same end result.

I doubt many (or any) applications are going to care about the state of the Y register before yielding to DOS using either method.

Edited by flashjazzcat

4 hours ago, mr-atari said:

Any RTS back to LiteDUP with Y negative, will result in Error-(value_Y) message.

Cosmetic bug.

Understood, but the TBXL compiler does not RTS to DOS; it does a JMP (DOSVEC). Are you saying the issue CharlieChaplin observed is a different bug?

EDIT: Ah - I see what is happening. LiteDOS does not issue so much as a carriage return on re-entry, so it's unclear to the user whether they actually left the TBXL compiler or not. The natural inclination is to press 'J' a second time, and if one then presses RETURN, error 168 is generated as part of the CLI parsing. All clear now. :)

For what it's worth: I would say the TBXL compiler itself is somewhat at fault for not re-opening default screen editor before jumping through DOSVEC.

Edited by flashjazzcat

8 hours ago, phaeron said:

FWIW, the DOS 2.0 manual explicitly says that RTS can be used at the end of a program to return to DOS, automatically reloading DUP.SYS if necessary.

Exactly, and I assume RTS takes the exact same path as JMP (DOSVEC). I just push this address less one onto the stack before doing an indirect jump to RUNAD.

• 5 months later...
On 7/23/2019 at 12:29 PM, a8isa1 said:

LiteDOS and LiteDOS-XS both boot and run on a real 800 with just 8K.  BASIC has 2830 and 3854 bytes available, respectively.

I don't have a practical use for this ability I was just curious because I think I remember 8K 400s were originally planned.  I can't remember if they ever saw the light of day.

I know this is a late reply, but I didn't see another confirmation.

The early 400 did ship with only 8K, I know as I received one at Christmas 1980. The 400 was originally planned as a 4K machine and 8K for the 800, these were were increased to 8k/16k when RAM prices decreased before the public release. 

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, Larry said:

Catching up here.  Is there a doc file available?  I can't copy/paste the info from your web site (probably that's how you want it).

what do you need DOC from my website for? To LiteDOS here: http://www.mr-atari.com/Mr.Atari/LiteDOS/ and to SuperPacker here: http://madteam.atari8.info/ (a new version with fixes for LZ4 SE came out a few days ago)

On 10/20/2020 at 8:47 AM, CharlieChaplin said:

Hmmm, using Win XP and Firefox 52 ESR, marking the whole LiteDOS text on the page works and then copy + paste (e.g. into Text Editor) also works...?!?

LiteDOS.txt 12.7 kB · 10 downloads

Thanks, Andreas!  I had no luck with copy/paste with my Win 10 machine and latest Firefox and Chrome and Edge.  All I get is a bunch of red, squiggly lines where the text should be.  But I didn't try Win 7 or XP.  I also did try Word Pad in addition to my normal Apache Open Office for the paste operation.  This is the first time I've run into this issue -- normally goes smoothly.

9 hours ago, Larry said:

Thanks, Andreas!  I had no luck with copy/paste with my Win 10 machine and latest Firefox and Chrome and Edge.  All I get is a bunch of red, squiggly lines where the text should be.  But I didn't try Win 7 or XP.  I also did try Word Pad in addition to my normal Apache Open Office for the paste operation.  This is the first time I've run into this issue -- normally goes smoothly.

You also might want to try SHIFT+CTRL+V when you paste it into the editor. That will remove any formatting and only paste it as plain text.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mytek said:

You also might want to try SHIFT+CTRL+V when you paste it into the editor. That will remove any formatting and only paste it as plain text.

Thanks, mytek.  Yes, that worked.  It put up a window with choices, including HTML with/without comments and unformatted text.  Lots of new tricks for me to learn with Win 10.

• Like 1