IGNORED

2600 games for the ladies

JayAre

I seem to recall that one of the vintage video game magazines from the 80s published an article relating to some video game companies that were focusing on designing games to appeal to the female segment of the market.

I was recently catching up with my cousin; she had a 2600 growing up.  I asked her which games she liked back then.  She told me that her favorite was definitely Frogger from Parker Brothers.  And that she also owned and liked Video Pinball, Pac-Man, RealSports Volleyball, Kaboom and Burgertime.

I'm sure women's tastes in video games are varied, just like that of men.  But maybe there are some themes or genres that women prefer over others.  Now, this question can only be answered by the women/girls out there, so perhaps some of the female AtariAge members can chime in on this.  Or maybe some of the guys have experience with this, because your moms or sisters played 2600 games at one point.

So, my question is, which 2600 games do the ladies prefer, and why?

Edited by JayAre

Great thread topic! There's been some interesting research on the subject over the years ranging from the ergonomics of the controls to the concept, subject matter and the layout and presentation of the game.

RelationalFramework recently conducted several player gender preference studies including one here on AtariAge using a new version of Space Invaders; what's most interesting about it is the study didn't start out that way!

There were indeed two versions of the game but no gender group study was intended, it emerged from the test group analytics comparing outcomes.  

Atari age downloads also indicate a preference for the boys version based on the name alone; that's too bad, both are a lot of fun! :)

How to participate in the study:

Play both versions of the game in a darkened room with the volume turned up and let yourself become immersed in the experience;  the soundscapes are shaped to your individual style of play and change with each level progression.

As you can see from the long play video, it takes about 15 minutes to see the two playable bonus stages and additional rounds to reach the final ending screen. Stella 6 with the improved sound or a classic console should be used for the full effect; which version was preferred by in your study?  Any thoughts to explain the phenomena?  

Besides the games already mentioned, I've known women that grew up with and will still play once in a while: Adventure, Demon Attack, Gyruss, Indy 500, Midnight Magic, Ms. Pac-Man, Super Breakout, Wizard of Wor and Warlords - now Medieval Mayhem.   ;)

Ladybug, Mappy and Juno First are a few other homebrews that are in constant rotation when the ladies play.