IGNORED

Drone Wars for Atari 2600

Jesús98

[Download the files attached to this post, as they are the most recent]

Hi!

I am glad to present a game developed by me. I loved to do a paddle game because there are very few out there and because I think that its the only paddle game with character 360º movement.

portadadef2.thumb.PNG.c64f4f80c9d78d55ee32758e3f58a8df.PNG

este.PNG.6f9e44faf177d216870bc39425ae23f1.PNG

post.PNG.ce95cf4814369f2914b92a8b8f159809.PNG

eeee.PNG.5362c0092ff9002a2b6d042bf02dd33b.PNG

Plot:

It's the year 2029 and the Second Cold War has arrived. You are a soviet sentry bot that defenses the KGB headquarters in the USSR. Your aim is to kill the waves of enemy drones that want to destroy your KGB headquarters. But if you think that the building will be destroyed in a few moments don't panic, you have a panic button that can detonate a M.O.A.B. and destroy all the surrounding buildings where all the north american secret agents are controlling the drones, also destroying yourself.

In this game, move the paddle to move the soviet sentry bot and surround the central building (KGB headquarters):

defin.PNG.4f9659525c06a333f570e0f80dc9a788.PNG

You start with 10 points per drone killed, but as you kill more and more, this will grow up to 30 points per drone.

If you want to detonate the M.O.A.B with the paddle buttom, all will blow up, but you get 100 points for doing that :):

gtg.PNG.95abeae6f161842ac05e9ca617025b32.PNG

The screen when the US drones destroy your base

3344.PNG.7df836783f7ccda988fed4a93c55b1d1.PNG

The screen when you push the panic button (detonation of the M.O.A.B.)

In order to start another game push the paddle 0 button

In order to restart the current game push the reset button

In order to go to the main menu push the select button

There are 2 game modes:

SINGLE PLAYER MODE (left difficulty switch in B position):

The drones will respawn automatically in one of the 4 streets

MULTIPLAYER MODE (left difficulty switch in A position)

The drones will respawn manually in one of the 4 streets by a second player controlling a joystick in the second jack selecting the street that he want

POWER-UP:

phone.PNG.47ec6d2c4b743290f97f1bb8b225e652.PNG 

Kremlin phone: If you touch this power-up your soviet allies will block one of the streets in order to baulk the enemy drones. Also your engineers will repair as far as possible your KGB headquarters 

That's everything you need to start playing the game. Feel free to post your comments about this game!

ROM FILES (FINAL VERSIONS)

PAL VERSION:

Drone_Wars_PAL60_v2.bin

NTSC VERSION:

Drone_Wars_NTSC_v2.bin

I highly recommend the use of real paddles instead of using only the mouse in stella for a better experience.

Update in version 1.1 (16/07/2019):

-Now you play with paddle 0

-Turn the switch C/BW in possition COLOR to move the sentry bot clockwise

-Turn the switch C/BW in possition BW to move the sentry bot anti-clockwise

Update in version 1.2 (17/07/2019):

-New intro sound effect

-A little bug repaired

Update in version 2 (20/07/2019):

-An easter-egg to find!

-New power-up!

-Better and more intuitive second player controls

-Now the only player move is clockwise, because the anticlockwise was uncomfortable for everyone

-Now you reset the game with the paddle 0 button

-Probably all bugs repaired

-Optimized source code and now the rom occupies 8kB

Edited by Jesús98
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Always nice to see a new 2600 game!

I just got a couple minutes to try out the NTSC version on a real 4-switch 2600.

Couple things that need to be addressed:

1)  My paddles are plugged into the Left port.  But the game is not using the normal primary player-1 paddle.  Instead, I have to use the normal secondary player-2 paddle.

2)  The player moves the opposite direction that the paddle is turned.  Meaning, when I turn the paddle clockwise, the player is moving counter-clockwise... and when I turn the paddle counter-clockwise the player is moving clockwise.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, chad5200 said:

Always nice to see a new 2600 game!

I just got a couple minutes to try out the NTSC version on a real 4-switch 2600.

Couple things that need to be addressed:

1)  My paddles are plugged into the Left port.  But the game is not using the normal primary player-1 paddle.  Instead, I have to use the normal secondary player-2 paddle.

2)  The player moves the opposite direction that the paddle is turned.  Meaning, when I turn the paddle clockwise, the player is moving counter-clockwise... and when I turn the paddle counter-clockwise the player is moving clockwise.

1) I will correct this today.

2) I dont know whats the problem, its the aim of the game, this is like warlords: you start turning correctly the character in the same direction than the paddle, but in the second side not, the same here but with the complete lap. In this game you need a bit of practice on this

Thanks for the feedback :)

Edited by Jesús98

4 hours ago, Jesús98 said:

2) I dont know whats the problem, its the aim of the game, this is like warlords: you start turning correctly the character in the same direction than the paddle, but in the second side not, the same here but with the complete lap. In this game you need a bit of practice on this

When I play, it seems that the paddle represents the middle building... and when turning the paddle clockwise, the player should move clockwise around the building... and when turning the paddle counter-clockwise, the player should move counter-clockwise around the building.

In Warlords, for Player 1 and Player 2 it's much easier to get used to it because the player is only moving on two sides.  But Player 3 and Player 4 both move the same direction as the paddle.

Maybe you could make it an option that the Color/BW switch will reverse the paddle movements of the player for their choice?

2 hours ago, chad5200 said:

When I play, it seems that the paddle represents the middle building... and when turning the paddle clockwise, the player should move clockwise around the building... and when turning the paddle counter-clockwise, the player should move counter-clockwise around the building.

In Warlords, for Player 1 and Player 2 it's much easier to get used to it because the player is only moving on two sides.  But Player 3 and Player 4 both move the same direction as the paddle.

Maybe you could make it an option that the Color/BW switch will reverse the paddle movements of the player for their choice?

Done :)

Enjoy

• Like 1

We'll be featuring Drone Wars LIVE on this Wednesday's (tomorrow's) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- A Roach In Space (2019 WIP Update) by Vladimir Zuñiga aka John Von Neumann aka Vhzc
- NanoWing (2017) by Brian Shea aka metalbabble
- One Button Bob (2011) by Chris Read aka atari2600land
- Drone Wars (2019 WIP) by Jesus Jimenez aka Jesús98

1961479788_20190717-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.80b61a923704c01ebcee5ab61b288b0f.jpg

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jesús98 said:

Done :)

Enjoy

Thank you!  Much better!

I like it.  One game play suggestion... the MOAB is cool but I wish it wasn't a game ending event.  Would be nice if you had maybe two "kill all" smart bombs and when those run out it is a MOAB.  And maybe have it so you gain one smart bomb with every 1000 points or something like that.

• 1 month later...