IGNORED

8/16-bit Collecting

Interesting. I have been collecting a long time and didn't know about the Majesco reprints. Now I'm reading up on them. This is what I love about retro gaming, there is always something new to learn and discover!

I know in the world of original Nintendo, LJN had notoriously horrible labels, they were matte finish, and just terrible. Some early NES Acclaim games had it too (like the Simpsons carts and Crash Test Dummies to name a few). I want to check some of my SNES cartridges out now that I read this post about Majesco. Do Majesco carts really affect the value of a game significantly? Or is it not really a big deal? Anyone have any lists of what titles were reprinted by Majesco by chance?

Dragon: Kind of actually, back in the 90s you could find some people out of the HK/China/Taiwan area pumping out small sized (I'm talking like 4-8 games in 1) multi-carts, and also just one off knockoffs of singular games, usually the most trendy things at the time that didn't need a battery like DBZ fighters.

As far as now goes, those who know me know I used to get pretty pissed off some years ago over that rant in the first post.  I hit the realization that I can still enjoy original or modified original hardware just all the same using what I dreaded most, flash kits.  I wasn't new to it, got my first which was a BUNG 64M writer over LPT like 20 years ago, then GBA of varying flavors with docks too after.  Knowing local luck aside or a friendly trade around 2012 things just got fracked badly and bitterly I got ticked.  I buckled and traded into, swapped, ro even in a couple cases newly bought flash kits, many, for whatever card/cart based system I had and I'm still 2 short (DS and N64) but it has been a life saver as far as cash flow goes.  Pay up a bit once, then let the predators eat each other alive in their hiking games and I can just sit back and go...I'll play this today, and that's that.  It's easy, fast, far less stressful, and if you really do truly enjoy something enough you can try and seek that deal later if it's not already a considerable ($100+) lost cause.

As far as Majesco goes, they have a strange history but they're 100% legit, not even like unlicensed third party shady in the least bit.  They popped up in the later years of the SNES/Genesis period and got rights from third parties Nintendo side, third and FIRST party Sega side to do all sorts of stuff.  For Nintendo they rarely put a game out, at least until the GBA period, that they did or published for someone new, but they would get rights to million sellers and hot IP and do cheaply run re-releases and profit share to the original.  On SNES you'd get a B&W (not color) manual, a cheap sticker with no laminate, and the boxes were of a little less sturdy quality, but on the inside same board and chips.  Sega though, when they got into a panic after killing their fan base greatly over the 32X/Sega CD and Saturn debacle, Majesco hit up Sega and got the rights to re-release the Genesis (Gen 3) and also the Game Gear along with a library of games for both of them with the same cheaper quality paper/sticker stuff going on, though oddly the GameGear hardware was of slightly better quality screen and all (go figure.)  They're definitely not some scam company putting out pirate bs, they were totally approved of and above board.

11 minutes ago, The Undecided said:

It’s a good thing if new people start collecting, to keep the hobby alive. A lot of people I know are selling off and getting out of collecting. 

I only sell off games that I'd know I'd never play (and only really if they have any value to speak of). I sold my copy of MetalStorm on NES to partially fund my purchase of Soldier Blade for my PC Engine... I'm a shoot em up collector first and everything else second.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

I don't see the problem tbh? If they're new then of course they won't know all of the finer details and tbh, they don't need to.

It sucks that prices rise but I'd rather not be one of those people that gatekeeps based on age.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Undecided said:

It’s a good thing if new people start collecting, to keep the hobby alive. A lot of people I know are selling off and getting out of collecting. 

I wouldn't consider that a bad thing.  We need more people to sell off and get out of collecting, not gaming exactly but the collecting.  The less fresh meat around the less vultures will be around to pick the bones.  I know it's a dream anytime soon to see prices regress back to like 2010 levels or before, but it's not exactly out of the slim realm of possibility either.  It would take more and more being fed up with what has gone wrong and escalated so much with price.  If more and more see how toxic it is to stay in and continue, and if more see what the rates are and say screw it and just get a ROM box made or DIY instead, or get a console and some KITS to avoid it, all the better.  We can still all in various ways not feed the cancerous beast while not dying the enjoyment of a systems library either which is a real win win situation then.  If we have far less collectors it will pinch the clowns and force a price correction.