IGNORED

Which Nintendo 64 Games Should I Add to My Collection?

I'd like to get at least an N64 game this month and I have some options. To make a long story short, I own a Nintendo 64 that I bought from my cousin years and years ago fro pretty much nothing. These are the games that came with the system: Super Mario 64, Bomberman 64, Quake 2, Automobili Lamborghini, Chopper Attack, ISS 98, Duke Nukem 64, Space Station Silicon Valley, Star Wars Shadow of the Empire and Turok.

Some of the options I have include in my immediate wish-list include Diddy Kong Racing, Mickey's Speedway USA and Pokemon Snap. Am I missing something? I don't know that many Nintendo 64 games because everything that I played was on emulators more than a decade ago and I just focused on Super Smash Bros. and the Zelda games that are hard to come by here and extremely expensive.

Also, a copy of ISS 2000 recently surfaced, I thought that game was one of the rarest of the system and the seller is offering for not that much (around $34 to be more specific). Should I go for it? Is that game that rare?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

You already have a good set of games to figure out if you like the machine or not. 

Fighting games on the N64 are pretty poor unless you really like Killer Instinct. 

Dunno if you like racers, but these are good:

F-Zero X (one of my all-time favorites)

Wave Race

Star Wars Episode One Racer

San Francisco Rush (and 2, and 2084)

Beetle Adventure Racing

Ridge Racer 64

Wipeout 64

Only the first two are strictly necessary IMHO, the others are done OK in other formats. 

I also really liked Star Wars Rogue Squadron

and Doom64, Blast Corps, Tetrisphere, Robotron 64, Starfox 64 are all unique and fun. 

Goldeneye 007 was fun but probably doesn't hold up. Same for Banjo Kazooie. 

15 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

You already have a good set of games to figure out if you like the machine or not. 

Fighting games on the N64 are pretty poor unless you really like Killer Instinct. 

Dunno if you like racers, but these are good:

F-Zero X (one of my all-time favorites)

Wave Race

Star Wars Episode One Racer

San Francisco Rush (and 2, and 2084)

Beetle Adventure Racing

Ridge Racer 64

Wipeout 64

Only the first two are strictly necessary IMHO, the others are done OK in other formats. 

I also really liked Star Wars Rogue Squadron

and Doom64, Blast Corps, Tetrisphere, Robotron 64, Starfox 64 are all unique and fun. 

Goldeneye 007 was fun but probably doesn't hold up. Same for Banjo Kazooie. 

I really like the system itself, but some 3D games look horrible, some amazing games have aged poorly (I can't play Super Mario 64 past the fantastic first level) and the controllers are the worst. I have two controllers and the sticks are loose to the point I'm considering new ones. Apart from that, the N64 has some unique experiences no other system really offers. I like N64 racing games and I'd like to get more of those, also Pokemon games have a special place in my heart even if I don't plan to play Stadium for more than a few minutes. Other than that, I don't really remember anything that stands out. SO I turn to you guys...

2 hours ago, Games Retrospect said:

I really like the system itself, but some 3D games look horrible, some amazing games have aged poorly (I can't play Super Mario 64 past the fantastic first level) and the controllers are the worst. I have two controllers and the sticks are loose to the point I'm considering new ones. Apart from that, the N64 has some unique experiences no other system really offers. I like N64 racing games and I'd like to get more of those, also Pokemon games have a special place in my heart even if I don't plan to play Stadium for more than a few minutes. Other than that, I don't really remember anything that stands out. SO I turn to you guys...

If you don't like Mario 64, I don't think the rest of the library would do much for you. That's a beautiful, playable game that was purpose built to the system's strengths. Everything else is kind of a hack to fit the funny hardware design, and third parties didn't get the best out of the system. 

Personally, I love the foggy, sharp angled, stylized low polygon look, but I'm not exactly in the mainstream with that opinion.  

Here's Racketboy, again. 

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/the-best-n64-games-that-defined-the-nintendo-64-n64

• Like 2

Well you make it easier ignoring what you already own, or have a hard up interest in like DK Racing and Pokemon Snap, your dislike of wrestling games, perhaps sports on the whole, so I can recommend some stuff but research is up to you.  I would tell you now, if you lack it, and stick to OEM first party, get the 4MB ram expansion.  Also don't buy games unless you want a total collection just because they're supposedly rare and therefore expensive just because.  Yet despite me making that statement, I will list some that aren't going to be in the under $30 range too.

Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, this I would get, but please understand it has bugs, save often, but despite that, it's a must have and far outstrips the quality of the control, visuals, oddly even audio of the Windows release which looked, sounded, and played (bad camera and control) far worse.  It's an upgrade.

More of a list here, but look out for Bomberman Hero, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Castlevania Legacy of Darkness, Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, and Goemon's Great Adventure, Beetle Adventure Racing, Pilotwings (maybe too fugly for ya), F-Zero X, Wipeout 64, (for puzzles there's Tetrisphere, Wetrix, and Pokemon Puzzle League), Megaman 64 (Megaman Legends), Resident Evil 2 (higher res but highly compressed FMV tradeoff over PS1), Hybrid Heaven, Wave Race 64, Star Wars Ep 1 Racer, Star Wars Rogue Squadron, Ridge Racer 64, Perfect Dark (needs exp pack), Starfox 64, Smash Bros, Mario Golf, Turok 2, Kirby 64, (I know I'll get groans but...) Quest 64, Aerofighters Assault, DOOM 64 (it's a unique excellent game, not doom on 64), Star Soldier Vanished Earth, and if you care to import Bangaioh and Sin&Punishment are a must, can name a few others.

I agree with the Mario Kart 64 being a great game, but it is generally expensive given that it had a very high print run.

I did not like the N64 when it came out. The controllers were a big issue for me. I know some people love them, but I don't. My interest recently got piqued again thanks to a lot that someone was selling at work, and the retro fighters controllers (https://retrofighters.com).

If you like some of the games you have in your collection and plan on keeping this system, the cheaper version of the N64 everdrive can let you try before you buy.

As I mentioned in the SNES thread, be patient with game prices. Local prices almost always mean overpaying, sometimes by a significant amount. To some extent, this is being driving by people going back to the system if the N64 was the one that they grew up with.  Hopefully the bubble will burst in a few years (this has happened to the NES to some extent).