IGNORED

I have THREE Lynxes that won't power up!

Albert

So, I have a game I want to test out on the Lynx.  I grabbed three Lynxes I have handy (two Lynx II, which I prefer, and an original Lynx), a power supply, and some batteries.  Much to my surprise, NONE of the three Lynxes will power on!

I'm pretty sure these all worked the last time I used them, which would have been several years ago.  I'm kind of surprised that none of them will power on at all.  The batteries I'm using are Eneloop rechargeable batteries, and they've worked in everything else I've used them in. 

I suppose it's possible that these type of batteries will not work in a Lynx, and that something is wrong with the power supply.  I haven't dug out my voltmeter yet to test it, but I suppose I should do that.  I'm more curious to know if people have had issues using rechargeable batteries..

Thanks in advance for any insight.

..Al

Looks like the power supply is only outputting one volt. I'll have to see if I have another one somewhere, but probably not. Will need to buy a new one. Ow I'm going to see if I have any normal alkaline AA batteries somewhere. Probably not, I've been using Eneloops for years. 

..Al

1 minute ago, Jettgogaming said:

Interesting, it would be highly doubtful you have three Lynx that all don't work. So it definitely has to be a battery issue. Have you checked out this thread....

I posted quite a bit in that thread.  It is is 18 years old at this point, which frightens me a bit!!

I don't have any suitable alkaline AA batteries, so I'm going to run to my storage unit and find a box of Lynx hardware and software.  I know I have one of those big D-Cell battery adapters, and I do have a whole bunch of new D-cell batteries (for flashlights).  Might have more power supplies as well. If not, I see I can get them new for $20 on eBay. 

..Al

1 hour ago, Albert said:

Looks like the power supply is only outputting one volt. I'll have to see if I have another one somewhere, but probably not. Will need to buy a new one. Ow I'm going to see if I have any normal alkaline AA batteries somewhere. Probably not, I've been using Eneloops for years. 

..Al

I use eneloops in my lynxes - work fine.

Went to the storage unit and found all my Lynx hardware and software.  I forgot how many Lynx games I have!  I believe I may have every first and third-party game released "back in the day", plus some Songbird titles. No recent homebrew releases, though.  I need to fix that.  I also have one of Mcwill's LCD mods, but I think I'll pay someone else to install it in a Lynx II.  I forgot how poor the OEM screen is!

lynx_1.jpg

There's another layer of games under this one!

lynx_2.jpg

Brand new power supplies and power packs!

lynx_3.jpg

There were actually four Lynxes in this box, including one brand new Lynx II!

lynx_4.jpg

That's two older Lynxes sitting on top!

lynx_5.jpg

lynx_6.jpg

lynx_7.jpg

Brand new Lynx II!

lynx_8.jpg

And, after plugging one of the Lynx IIs into the brand new power supply, it worked!

lynx_9.jpg

It'd be nice to know why the Eneloops don't work, but I tried two different sets of charged batteries and neither would work in all three of the Lynxes.  I didn't bring back any of the Lynxes from the storage unit, as I figured the ones at home weren't broken.

..Al

Just now, Tempest said:

So it was the power supply after all?

Yes!  Better toss that one so I don't try using it again.  Really strange, as I'm sure it worked the last time I used it, but it's been a few years.  And sitting inside, in a temperature controlled environment.

..Al

1 minute ago, Nathan Strum said:

If you don't mind waiting awhile, I can do the McWill mod. I'm really happy with how mine turned out.

I'm in no rush, that would be great!  I'm sure it will be immensely better than the Atari screen! 

1 minute ago, Nathan Strum said:

You should also get one of SainT's upcoming redesigned SD cards. I have the first-gen one, but if the new one's faster, I might pick up one of those.

I've already spoken to him about it.  :)

..Al

11 minutes ago, Albert said:

Do you have a multimeter to test the output voltage of the power supply?  That's how I determined mine was dead.

..Al

Well I'll be damned.  The power supply is 100% dead.  No voltage at all.  I even tested another power supply to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong and that worked.  So it looks like I need a new power supply.

• Like 1

Albert & Tempest...

Did you try slowly flexing the output cable?

If you keep folding it in the same way when you pack it away the constant flexing at the same point can break the cables creating an open circuit, resulting in either no voltage if either power or power and ground have gone or result in an odd voltage reading if just ground has gone or a power ground short has occured.

If that is the problem slowly flexing the cable may reveal that as the problem as power suddenly returns and also enable you to identify the location of the break which if not right at the connector or strain relief should allow you to cut out the damaged section and reconnect the two pieces to get it working again (just make sure you connect them with the correct polarity).

Sometimes rechargeable batteries are a little shorter than standard alkaline's in the same way the Duracell are generally a little larger them other alkaline's, if you have a good spiral spring at the ground connection it can push them forward enough to ensure correct contact. if not you might find that it looks OK but there is actually is a small gap, measuring across the batter holder contacts should tell you if that is the case as if they are making contact you should be able to measure voltage there.     

In my experience common cause for batteries not working is the power jack connector. I have three lynxes with this problem.

I should replace the connectors, but first I want to try to carefully clean the inside of the connectors with alcohol to verify if they are stuck in external Power Supply position.

• 2 weeks later...