The Undecided

Your top 3 genesis/mega drive shoot em ups?

Posted (edited)

What are your favorite 3 shoot em ups on genesis/mega drive ? Mine are as follows..

1. Lightening force (thunder force 4)

first shooter I ever played and one of the best shooters ever. The music is fantastic. Level 5 is very memorable..

2. Twin hawk (mega drive exclusive)

I like the unique set up with calling in additional planes as your bombs. The enemy German tanks and weird bosses are interesting.

3. Raiden trad

I prefer this over the turbografx/pc engine port of raiden. The red icon spread shot fully powered is godlike.

Edited by The Undecided

No particular order, but:

MUSHA, Lightening Force (Thunder Force IV), Twin Cobra.

Would probably replace the later with Fire Shark but that one's a bit on the easy side.

20 minutes ago, Austin said:

MUSHA, Lightening Force (Thunder Force IV), Twin Cobra.

I concur.

Dr. Cafeman

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Good to to see lightening force on everyone’s list so far. I also love fire shark and twin cobra.

Im glad you guys are showing toaplan love, if I had to pick only one shoot em up developer to play it would be them. 

Edited by The Undecided

Posted (edited)

Task Force Harrier EX

Grind Stormer (V-V)

Truxton (though I suck at it)

As you can see I prefer vertical shoot em ups, not to say I don't love the Thunder Force games (I do).

13 hours ago, chuckwalla said:

Shmups, you ask??

M.U.S.H.A.

Truxton

Lightening Force

By the way, there's a guy on ebay doing perfect repro's of Genesis carts and he doesn't use the crappy, thicker, Chinese knockoff boards. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_ssn=foreverfroggy1111&_sop=10

(I'm not affiliated with them in any way, shape, or form)

YE GODS... those labels!

"We strip the label from the old game and replace it with a label for the new game, so you are getting an authentic Sega Genesis game shell. Please note that the labels are intentionally designed in a way to keep people from reselling my reproductions as original games, so they will not look exactly like the original label."

That's still not an excuse for the labels to look so bad. Just put reproduction on the label and print it on glossy paper not copy paper!

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

Gotta dive in here... ;)

Thunder Force III

- this was the game that sold me on the Genesis in the first place, one of the first games I played on the machine and after only playing the NES before, it blew me away. Difficulty isn't part of my grading. ;)

Lightening Force

- probably would be above 3 but the weapons just feel underpowered to me, ;) plus the slowdown takes half a point.

Third one is tough for me - I never got deep into any other shooters on the Genesis. Thunder Force spoke to me though. I even hacked up 2,3 and 4 into a personal multicart with a few hacks... ;)  

(I got it all working after that video, of course ;) )