IGNORED

Did the Atari Jaguar Leave a Lasting Legacy!?

Adriano Arcade

1 hour ago, empsolo said:

In the 3DO’s defense, at least it had a port of Super Street Fighter II turbo that rivaled the Saturn port in terms of being near arcade perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And better than Saturn/Playstation i believe versions of:

Return Fire

Space Hulk

Starfighter 3000

Etc.

On 7/17/2019 at 6:38 PM, travistouchdown said:

How could it not?  To list a few ways:

<snippity snip>

To me the Jaguar has always had curb appeal.  I've wanted one for as long as i can remember and still do.  The home-brew scene is awesome; which is why i'd argue the system has a bigger impact on gaming and specifically retro gaming now than it ever did before. 

I assume you made most of the above up?

Edited by prog99

The Jag is still kicking. People still make games and the console's price has skyrocketed. Can't say the same about a lot of others... It's easy to trash on it but it's time people don't allocate to new systems/other systems so i'd say that even the haters love the Jag...

1 hour ago, DoTheMath said:

The Jag is still kicking. People still make games and the console's price has skyrocketed. Can't say the same about a lot of others... It's easy to trash on it but it's time people don't allocate to new systems/other systems so i'd say that even the haters love the Jag...

The people that bash the jag are the ones that spend most on it. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Adriano Arcade I'm listening to your glorious mess of a discussion now! It's unfocused and silly, but enjoyable nonetheless. I'm about halfway through but felt I had to weigh in, because, you know, opinions. 

There's a persistent post hoc fallacy running through it. Just because Jaguar had a phone-dial keypad and Playstation did not doesn't mean that Sony got a "second mover advantage." Sony's machine was in the works for a long time and I seriously doubt they were looking to Tramiel Atari for design cues. 

To focus on home consoles without considering what PC hardware and other consumer electronics were doing at the time is a mistake. Pretty much anything on any game console was done first on a computer. 

I think there are exactly 3 home consoles with a "legacy" work mentioning. 

1. Atari 2600

Programmable, tradeable games, lots of variety, licensed characters and arcade games. Swappable controllers, many different modes. Pushed way past its original hardware specs thru clever software. 

2. Nintendo Entertainment System

Hardware scrolling, digital control pads, peripheral gimmicks. Managed third parties and extensive licensing. Brought the industry back from the dead. 

3. Sony PlayStation 

Bridge between digital media and mainstream gaming, cheap manufacturing for discs, very large developer pool. Programming libraries for easy game making. 

I put to you that the interstitial systems were just enhancements of what had come before (Intellivision and Colecovision were like a super Atari, Genesis and Super Nintendo were like a ...well you can guess, and Xbox and Xbox 360 and Xbox One were like a super Playstation).

We are unlikely to see a modern "legacy" game console, because they're increasingly undifferentiated, more like specialized PCs that run software as a subscription service. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Keatah said:

No one knows of the jag except for retrogaming enthusiasts. So no legacy to be left at all. System was a waste of time then as it is now.

Thanks for dropping by and not wasting anyone's time with such a mindbogglingly pointless post :)

• Like 3

Legacy?   Sure.   A footnote in gaming history of something Atari, a significant gaming company in video gaming, did for the 16/32/64 bit era.   Innovations in graphics, sound, etc.  Like the Lynx, all that power, with a price, used before the cost of all was at a price many were willing to pay.  But the innovation of Atari is seen time and again.

Some noteworthiness on the multimedia aspect, the ability to add a CD unit, play movie files and so on.

Noteworthy games:

Tempest 2000 - the one many talk about who even barely know of the Jaguar.

Defender 2000 - Jeff Minter fans love to bring this one up.

Rayman - Developed for the Jaguar first.

Doom - One of the best and smoothest running ports of its time.

Iron Soldiers 1 and 2 - Unique to the Jaguar.

Raiden - One of the best ports of the game for it's time.  Often noted.

Bubsy: Fractured Furry Tales - unique to the Jaguar, and something Bubsy fans long to play.

The fans development scene in years since the Jaguar's run I believe added the most to the Jaguar's legacy.

Overall, the Jaguar is both famous and infamous, which tells me that the Jaguar did achieve legeacy status one way or the other.

8 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

To focus on home consoles without considering what PC hardware and other consumer electronics were doing at the time is a mistake. Pretty much anything on any game console was done first on a computer.

It's especially relevant as I always assumed the phone-dial keypad was not a nod to ColecoVision or Intellivision - who cared about them at the time? - but was designed for first person shooters. It was the most popular 3D genre back then and weapons were always selected with top row number keys. On consoles one had to cycle through them with one or two buttons, until Halo finally had the idea to limit the amount of weapons one can carry at the same time.
The Jaguar was maybe the perfect system for early first person shooters like Wolfenstein or Doom (with 2D sprites), but the genre evolved quickly with games like Quake that could only be ported to PlayStation or Saturn. Jaguar's timing (and math) was off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madman said:

All 4 of them?

Hahah.   That was my standing joke for years.   With the new Bubsy games since 2017 I've found... one or two more fans.   ;) .  The Bubsy Discord server has 146 members currently.   And many of those people are wanting to try FFT on the Jaguar if they can afford a Jaguar at some point.  :P