IGNORED

DOUBLEDOWN Custom ColecoVision Controllers

doubledown

On 7/18/2019 at 3:09 PM, doubledown said:

Seriously...if so that's awesome!  And yes, this IS the super pack your looking for.

FYI I just found (and ordered 1 off ebay) a possible amazing controller for a Tapper custom controller.  No its not a ColecoVision controller, its from the MD/SFC era.  

Yup he is seriously named Zaxxon....not sure how I managed to talk the wife into it haha

1 hour ago, Pixelboy said:

This actually looks really nice.  :) 

Like there was a doubt?  In all honesty after I decided on the top half of the base being silver (like the cabinet CPO) I really wasn't sure how it was going to look while keeping the bottom half black, but I really like the way it turned out.  I've got the manual finished now too.

1 hour ago, Rey said:

That's beautiful. I got dibs :)

It's yours!  Let me figure out pricing and I'll post a new thread in Buying/Selling about them, and link it here.  I've only got 7 of these so we'll see how many are interested and go from there.  If they're not all spoken for, I'd be willing to make Gorf and/or Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom as well.  

I'll keep updating this post with new styles/designs/themes including the standard hand control versions as I get to them.  I played around a bit tonight with the new stick style knobs and I'll get pics up probably later tonight. 

• Like 1

So here is the side by side by side comparison of the stock Coleco disc knob, next my ball knob, followed by my new stick knob.  

uNozpi.jpg

You'll notice the stock knob shaft is pretty darn short.  To this I add a 1/2" tall black anodized aluminum spacer, then my knob on top.  The extra height is what to me, really makes all the difference in the comfort and usability of these controllers.  As far as grip, the stock discs are approx. 1.375" in diameter, the ball is a little smaller at 1.250" in diameter, and the stick is 0.525" in diameter.

I like the ball infinitely more than the stock disc, and I spent quite a bit of time when I first started using them, selecting an appropriate diameter and height.  I like the new stick too, it feels a little more precise as your thumb/forefinger are closer together, but its not too small of a diameter to make it feel delicate.  

• Like 1

Finished up a Venture themed controller this weekend.  I had to take an artistic liberty with the button color.  The original arcade cabinet's fire buttons were white and the P1/P2 buttons were red.  As I dyed the controller white to match the arcade cabinet sides (and the Coleco Atari 2600 cart) if I dyed the buttons white you would lose them in the controller color so I chose red.  The keypad underlay is the same color as Winky, who is represented as the "*" button on the keypad.  The keypad looks a bit pink in the pics, but I had to put up my photo backdrop and lighting to free up some room at the end of the bench so it was just the camera flash.  

XeDbFN.jpg

I think the match to this controller to make a pair is Mouse Trap.  They're both Exidy games built in their white cabinets, and both ported to the 2600 by Coleco in the white carts, so kind of makes sense.  

• Like 4

Ooh, that's nice, and Mouse Trap would make a good pairing, given those two were also given rereleases by Atari Corp., along with DK and DKjr.

I missed out on the Zaxxon pre-order, but I wouldn't mind a pair of these... and a DK/DKjr pair, of course. :grin:

Yeah, I'm back...not dead. 

Waiting for the dye to dry to finish up the Zaxxon controllers, I whipped up the Mouse Trap artwork tonight:

5VZYmL.jpg

Will probably have this one done in a couple of days.  Need to dye the controller, buttons, and ball knob, then refurbish the controller.  

• Like 1

Now that the Zaxxon controllers are complete and ready for shipment, I'll get my Mouse Trap controller finished up for the Venture / Mouse Trap pair.  I've started dyeing the controller halves, and I got the ball dyed blue this afternoon.

8GQCh6.jpg

Additionally I had an inspiration this morning for another new controller, I don't know how this game's theme eluded me before now.  The initial thought was a radical departure from a standard ColecoVision hand controller...to create an amazing arcade-like experience for one of the all time classic arcade games.  Control-wise it will be more true to the arcade port versus the use of the standard hand controller, and cosmetically it should be a beautiful reproduction of the arcade cabinet.  I found a candidate for the donor controller on ebay today and ordered one so that I can get started on it as soon as possible.  And while I was thinking about the "yet to be named mystery controller" I also thought of a great way to cosmetically theme a standard hand controller for the same mystery game, so I'll get working on that too as soon as I get this Mouse Trap controller finished.  

More details to come when the Mouse Trap controller gets finished, and I start work on the "mystery controller".  

1 hour ago, doubledown said:

Additionally I had an inspiration this morning for another new controller, I don't know how this game's theme eluded me before now.  The initial thought was a radical departure from a standard ColecoVision hand controller...to create an amazing arcade-like experience for one of the all time classic arcade games.  Control-wise it will be more true to the arcade port versus the use of the standard hand controller, and cosmetically it should be a beautiful reproduction of the arcade cabinet.

My first guess would be a Centipede-themed Roller Controller.  :)

It is a spray applied dye for the controllers.  It goes on like "spray paint", but not simply a top coat as it is very thin and chemically bonds to plastics.  Additionally it remains slightly flexible after cured. 

In an alternate hobby I do liquid/heat bath dye radio control vehicle parts (mostly wheels) with RIT fabric dye, but that only really works with nylon and you can only go darker than the source.  Normally I start with white wheels and can get any color I want, that way I don't have to worry about paint chipping off them from racing.  These wheels were white and bath dyed yellow for about 15 minutes:

SVHzX2.jpg

I wish ColecoVision hand controllers were white nylon, so many color choices!

22 hours ago, SoundGammon said:

You'll have to do a poster with all these on it and sell that as well!

That would be very artsy.

I'm finishing up the Mouse Trap controller tonight, and also got started working on the standard Hand Controller version of the new mystery game.  The deluxe version's donor controller for the same game is on it's way, but looks like I won't get it until Monday or Tuesday.  I'll need to order parts for that one once I get it and get some things figured out, so that one will probably take a couple weeks, but I'm sure some teaser images may get leaked.  

In another project I'm working on for myself, I just got this beauty in today...live from Hokkaido:

pwVm4q.jpg

Which after looking at it, I realize that it could make an proper and amazing Spy Hunter controller.  But personal plans for this one so I would need to find another for that to happen.

Once I've got the Mouse Trap / Venture pair done I'll be selling this set.  I'll have to hook up my computer from about 2 computer's ago, as it has the source files for my custom manual for these controllers, but I should be able to get it done this weekend.  As of now I will only have the 1 set to sell but there is the possibility for more in the future, we'll see how it goes.