IGNORED

DOUBLEDOWN Custom ColecoVision Controllers

doubledown

21 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

Well, you did say "for one of the all time classic arcade games", so I'd tend to aim towards Star Wars Arcade, but I can't reconcile the above painted controller with that idea.  :)

Star Wars...no.  I'd love to do a ColecoVision arcade experience controller for Star Wars, but I can't find a donor yoke that pivots in the center like the original arcade.  All of the ones I've seen are pivot at the bottom. 

You're in the right genre (space shooter), but a couple years off.

I've always loved Defender and it's cabinet, and it sold something like 55,000 cabinets back in the day.  But like most of us I suck out loud at it, partly because the control scheme on the ColecoVision and even in MAME (not to mention the god-awful 2600 version) isn't set up ever remotely close to the arcade version so playing on anything other than the arcade cabinet is near awful.  So as I had the thought for my patent pending "DEFENDER Arcade Experience Controller", I figured I might as well make up a Defender Hand Controller to go along with it as I was already working with its theme and artwork.  I'm really excited to see how the DAEC will turn out, just a waiting game now for the donor controller and the parts so I can get started.

So unveiling the Defender Edition Hand Controller:

3pyANF.jpg

So to capture the theme of the arcade cabinet I made the following modifications:

Red ball top joystick knob with shaft extension

White dyed left "Fire" button

Green dyed right "Smart Bomb" button

Keypad grid area of upper half of controller masked and dyed white to match the original CPO

Custom keypad underlay to match the artwork of the original CPO, with the 0 button white to match the Hyperspace button it represents

Reproduction marquee artwork on bottom face of controller

Additionally the controller was completely disassembled, refurbished and reassembled with a 6' straight wire cord

Here is the inspiration for reference:

JjDmWT.jpg

Edited by doubledown
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well it took a couple of hours but I pulled out my old computer and was able to archive and save all of my old video game files, including my source documents for the manual for my custom controllers.  I designed the Venture / Mouse Trap manual tonight.  Like I did before (with Pac-Man and Donkey Kong) I laid it out like the Canadian ColecoVision manuals, whereas the front half is Venture, and the rear (upside down) half is for Mouse Trap:

Ofk36y.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NIAD said:

That Defender arcade panel just gave me a seizure!

A seizure of joy and happiness?!?  

In addition to the shoddy control scheme, another dis-service to the ColecoVision release of Defender was Atarisoft's cartridge/package artwork design:

hwH7Pu.jpg

They really captured the spirit of the arcade cabinet didn't they.  Must have taken them seconds, even minutes to design this one from their stock template.

• Haha 1

I'm waiting for the Phoenix console to come in, it would have been cool to have one based on the phoenix game (for the double wammy from doubledown! LOL) but I don't think one came out for the colecovision darn it (but it's possible their FPGA core may support the phoenix arcade game!).

One can dream. Really nice work in this thread, I'm considering one but damn, the choices are many but I can't choose!

Well this weekend while I was waiting for the donor controller for my DEFENDER Arcade Experience Controller, I was looking up parts I was going to need to order for it, and I decided to go with a different and larger controller enclosure for that one.  So today I finally got the original donor controller that I had ordered, and I was thinking of what I could do with it now that I've selected a different one for Defender.  I've decided to additionally make a DONKEY KONG Arcade Experience Controller.  I started working on the artwork for it tonight and I'll have to look at the hardware I've ordered once I start receiving it.  

Additional news...back when I originally made the Pac-Man / Ms. Pac-Man controllers and Donkey Kong / Donkey Kong Junior controllers I made 2 sets of each for myself in addition to all the ones that were pre-ordered.  I'd have to look back for sure, but if memory serves I sold 12 Pac-Troller sets, and I think 15 Kong-Troller sets here on AtariAge (plus my 2 personal sets each).  I sold 1 of my personal sets of the Pac-Trollers on ebay sometime after I sold them here, so I have remaining 1 set of the Pac-Man / Ms. Pac-Man controllers (w/Manual), and 2 sets of the Donkey Kong / Donkey Kong Junior controllers (w/Manual).  I had dyed all the plastics, printed/laminated all the artwork, and printed/assembled the manuals back then, but never got around to assembling these extra sets.  I found the parts this weekend so once I get these assembled I will offer them up here for sale.  I had to order the 6' straight wire cords as I don't have any, but hopefully I should have them this week.  I'm working on refurbishing the controller PCBs now.  Once I get these assembled and tested I'll list these for sale along with the Venture / Mouse Trap set and the Defender standard hand controller.  

I won't make any more of the Pac-Man / Ms. Pac-Man edition hand controllers or the Donkey Kong / Donkey Kong Junior edition hand controllers as I listed them originally as a 1 time limited edition run.  It wouldn't be fair to anybody who bought them because they were limited editions.  Once they're ready to go I'll start a post in the buying/selling forum and link it here.  I only have 1 set of the Venture / Mouse Trap (w/Manual) controller set and 1 Defender (w/Manual) controller completed now, but more can be made when I get time if there is interest (pre-order concept like I did before probably).  These will also be in the post with the other controllers once they're ready.  

So stay tuned for new controller info along with the sale info for the ones mentioned above. 

• Like 1

So, I started a thread in Buying/Selling regarding a shipping issue with one of the Zaxxon controllers I sold:

Link: HERE

Basically one of the Zaxxon controllers I sold/shipped was damaged in shipping and I don't have another to replace it with.  There were a few members I received messages from who missed out on getting one of the 6 that I had, and I know there were a few who also mentioned having donor SV-103 controllers.  Just thought I'd link that thread here as this thread has more traffic, but basically I'm looking for a trading scenario for a couple/3 controllers for 1 or 2 completed custom controllers in exchange to whomever can supply them.  Thanks in advance.  

10 hours ago, WaveRider1970 said:

Hi, I have accumulated quite a few over the year - I have too much of CV controllers sleeping in a box. Some are working, some not. I will make the inventory this week-end - can't before. Cheers

Thanks, let me know.

Looks like my 6' controller cables (for final assembly of Pac/DK controllers), which I didn't think were going to arrive before Monday, should be delivered today.  Hope to have these sets assembled and available this weekend. 

Edited by doubledown

I've started a post in the Buying/Selling forum regarding the custom ColecoVision controllers I have for sale:

Link

Available is:

(1) Set - Pac-Man / Ms. Pac-Man with Manual

(2) Sets - Donkey Kong / Donkey Kong Jr. with Manual

(1) Set - Mouse Trap / Venture with Manual

(1) Controller - Defender with Manual

Thanks for looking

3 hours ago, WaveRider1970 said:

Found my extra CV controllers, will continue my search of extra SV-103 tomorrow

Thanks, not looking for any standard Hand Controllers right now, just the SV-103.  I was able to buy an ebay listing that had 2, so I'll definitely be able to repair/replace the one damaged in shipping.  But I could still be interested in more as I could make Gorf and Buck Rogers versions, and have more to offer those that missed out on the 6 Zaxxon controllers I had made up.  

Just as a reminder, or in case you missed my post from Friday, I am currently accepting offers for (selling) the special edition hand controllers I have on hand/remaining until tomorrow evening:

LINK

(1) Pac-Man/Ms. Pac-Man (last 1 set from my personal collection)

(2) Donkey Kong/Donkey Kong Jr. (last 2 sets from my personal collection)

(1) Mouse Trap/Venture (1st and only set made thus far)

(1) Defender (1st and only controller made thus far)

I know a bunch of members were interested in getting the Pac-Man/Ms. Pac-Man and Donkey Kong/Donkey Kong Jr sets, but as they were sold as limited edition, 1 run sets these are the last sets of these I will ever offer.

Also I made some good progress on the Donkey Kong Arcade Controller this weekend, but I forgot I hadn't ordered the buttons yet.  So I've ordered those, should get them in a week or so which will be the last parts I need.  Maybe I'll get some preview pics uploaded before assembly is complete, we'll see how it goes.